• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think makes a good map?

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2009
    I going to be making a hack soon and i wanted to know what peaple think makes a good map. I wanted something that could appeal to the public rather than just me.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Creativity should be thumbs up (b',')b
    You should be really creative while you make a map. It isn't just about putting trees, buildings, grass, lakes, rivers etc. Try to be diverse and create something new. Paste your imagination into your map.
    Some people may say it shouldn't be squarish, irregular trees, greener and stuff like that. But I think you should naturally create a map the way you like it and maybe others can appreciate that too.
    But it's also necessary to keep in mind the shape and other important things like tiles.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I got three things for you, .... creativity, .... for it to eather look natrual, or look like it came from nintendo,... no block erros, or tile erros.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • If it's good in game, then it's a good map. Don't ask anyone about what mapping style to use, make your own so you can make maps which you like.

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
  • Asking a question like this will get you nowhere. Sorry to be blunt about it, but it's the truth. You'll get so many differing opinions on it.
    Make them look beautiful! Who wants to play a map that isn't beautiful?
    Make them playable! Beautiful maps can be so frustrating sometimes.
    The best advice I can give you is to look at the maps in the map rating thread and see what looks amazing to you. Don't even look at the ratings the maps get. Half of the people "rating" maps don't have a knack for mapping as it is. Therefore, most of the ratings I see in the rating thread are invalid (to me at least). But back to my original point. What looks good to you? Take a look at the really amazing maps in the rating thread. Try and take what is appealing to you and combine all of those elements into a style you can call your own. No one can say there is any right way to map. No one can say a nintendo-esque map is the best. No one can say a natural map is the best.

There are some guidelines that people try to go by when mapping, but I say hell with that. When it comes down to it, do you feel as if your map is something you can truly be proud of? Who cares if it's "square?" Just map to make something that you, yourself, can be proud of.

Tile errors are no-nos though. xD

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    It's not enough just to say that a map should be creative, or natural.
    A good map has to be playable, it has to stay true to the Pokemon style, and most importantly,
    it should feel like a Pokemon game.
    The maps in a game, make the overall feel of a region, your towns should be like towns, they should be vibrant, each one with a flare all it's own, with ought going over the top.
    The Hoenn region (which to me was the most well mapped region in the pokemon franchise) was nothing short of incredible. I wanted to explore it, I wanted to re-visit places I've seen before, I wanted to find hidden areas, hidden items and, hidden tracks for my acro bike (HELL YEAH) which truly made it a memorable experience.
    And that's it, the map, should be an experience all its own.
    Corny as hell I know.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It's not enough just to say that a map should be creative, or natural.
    A good map has to be playable, it has to stay true to the Pokemon style, and most importantly,
    it should feel like a Pokemon game.

A pokemon game does not have a feel. Firered and Emerald have completely different maps and styles, apart from 3 or 4 similarly square maps.

There are many variables involved in making a good map overall, but it all depends on how you do it. I myself am only capable of making natural looking maps, but people like Hiroshi Sotomura and Christos make gorgeous maps while staying loyal to the Firered style of mapping. Try many things out. After a lot of trial and error, you should see what you are best at.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • Sasquatch and Luck pretty much hit it right on the spot. There's no singular best way to map. Despite having favorite mapping styles, I still occasionally see incredible maps that use a style different from what I normally prefer. Try it out and see what you're best at.

I do, however, have one more little tip to add. It might be because I'm a geography freak, but I consider it extremely important to visualize what you're trying to map out first as if it's IRL (or say, even, in the anime). Just imagine where you'd have a creek, which way it would flow, where it would cascade down a cliff.. imagine what shape the mountains take, how dense the vegetation is, what kind of vegetation there is. This will help you with any style of map you decide to create. Really, the worst maps are generally only like that because they are visualized by the artist as simply just maps in a game, rather than real places portrayed through a game.

Take that into consideration while mapping. That technique alone can't make a good map, but when combined with the right abilities, it'll be exactly what differentiates between an average map and an amazing map.

(Also adding hidden stuff is always a bonus, just don't overload)

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    A pokemon game does not have a feel. Firered and Emerald have completely different maps and styles, apart from 3 or 4 similarly square maps.
    I would like to see the secret writing that states that a square map can't be good looking.
    Also, yes they do have different styles, but it feels like you're playing a pokemon game, it feels professional, it makes you want to continue the game.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Also, yes they do have different styles, but it feels like you're playing a pokemon game, it feels professional, it makes you want to continue the game.
    Actually, I have the strangest feeling those are the tiles. Professional, Pokemon-styled tiles that match with the professional, Pokemon-styled overworld sprites and the professional, Pokemon-styled in-battle sprites.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I would like to see the secret writing that states that a square map can't be good looking.
    Also, yes they do have different styles, but it feels like you're playing a pokemon game, it feels professional, it makes you want to continue the game.

It is implied, especially when it is much harder to make a successfully good looking square map. Many people vote a map only for the aesthetics overall in the MRT and barely care about the playability until they look deeper into the specifics of the map.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Half of the people "rating" maps don't have a knack for mapping as it is.
    This is unfortunately, very true. I used to rate at least 1 map every day, before I actually knew how to map. Now, I almost never rate maps though, just because I'm good at making them, it somehow made rating them less fun... I'm really not sure why.
    In fact, I'd say only like 10% of the ratings are from people who actually are really good at mapping.
    Edit: To my eye of course, not meaning to offend anyone.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If it's good in game, then it's a good map. Don't ask anyone about what mapping style to use, make your own so you can make maps which you like.

^this.
    It's a tricky subject. I believe the tiles make the map, sometimes. I think I'm the only one who hates when people mix the small tree with the large one- to me, it doesn't look "natural" at all. (Come on... The trees are made up of like 7 colours. How are maps ever going to look natural? Lol jk).
    But really, I don't know what all the fuss is about with Nintendo style maps, as long as they're not just basic edits.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    The best thing to do is play your map in-game and ask yourself, 'is this enjoyable?'

And there's your great map in a nutshell.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2017
    A great map is difficult to make.
    It requires
    -finding happy mediums between everything.
    -Creativity
    -Artistic skills
    -Patients
    -Time

What I do is make a map, then go back later and imporve it. If I can't improve it, than Its probably really good already, and I'm set.

Hope this helps.

Back