• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious What does being drunk feel like?

Years
    • Seen today
    Genuine question. I have no interest in getting drunk. Being on a medication that doesn't mix well with alcohol discourages me even more.

I have family members who I don't enjoy interacting with when they drink. Certain ones seen more frequently in a drunken state than a sober one. Especially when it reaches the point that I feel I'm speaking to the 'alcohol' and not the loved one. Knowing they won't remember the conversation sucks too.

I guess I ask this because I'm curious about what it's like being on the 'other side' of the coin.

I turned drinking age not all that long ago. I've had portions of alcohol at a wedding. Sometimes I'll take a sip when offered. Never wanted to drink and feel the effects however.

Years
  • i've never gotten drunk enough to experience double vision but have definitely had slurred speech and impaired movement

hangovers are not fun either. just have to drink a lot of water to prevent them and you should feel fine after waking up in the morning

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Exhausted, but hopeful.

Spoiler:
    i feel like maybe you meant to reply to the emotion thread ahahah but honestly "exhausted but hopeful" is a pretty good way to describe some drunk times

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • i feel like maybe you meant to reply to the emotion thread ahahah but honestly "exhausted but hopeful" is a pretty good way to describe some drunk times

Oooof, sorry! But yeah, I agree with you.

As for the topic at hand... I have never been drunk and I never wish to be. The most alcohol I drank, 1/4 cup of Campari diluted in 3/4 of grapefruit soda, gave me an awful stomach ache. I can't even imagine what it would be like if I went over that limit. Not to mention I have OCD, so consuming anything that could exacerbate it or worse, cause me to actually behave out of character, is a big turn-off.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I've grown up around a raving drunk, I don't want anything to to with that lifestyle.
    The most I've ever had was a small sip of beer when I was like 10 or something, I spat that piss out quick.

Edit: The only thing I learned about being drunk is that you can fall through a glass coffee table/down a whole flight of stairs and not feel anything.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I went to uni for six years and then was a phd student for five years, so I've been drunk plenty of times yeah. It was fun in some ways when I was young and reckless, sure, but nowadays I really don't like it. You lose control, you lose judgment, I you can become emotional (for better or worse) and sometimes you even black out or get memory loss. In hindsight it really isn't worth the trouble.

However, having a little bit of a tasty alcoholic drink is not the same thing as getting drunk, imo. Having just a glass of wine or one or two beers in good company or even in a setting with strangers, can be really nice and even helpful. You can become a bit more "yourself", some barriers and filters are thinned out or getting cracks in them, so that you might feel more comfortable socially.

That really makes it sound like a drug, and you know why? Because it is. Alcohol is terribly harmful. However, the social aspect + the amazing taste of many nice drinks, wines and beers out there, makes it worth it for me in small amounts these days. I love craft beer - me and my spouse love trying new fancy things like smoothie beers, deep stouts, super fresh IPAs etc etc, and it's a big thing in my country in recent years. Every tiny town has at least one local craft brewery, I kid you not. And my town has several bars who know their craft beer well - not just "one large beer on tap pls". Unfortunately non-alcoholic variants just don't taste as good, as rich. This interest is not at all about being drunk however, so I suppose I strayed a little bit from your topic :)

Years
  • I think it might actually depend from person to person because like I have seen several people just not acting anything different despite having drunk several stuff.
    In my case, I become more easygoing, I talk a little more and I think less and I am more impulsive in doing or saying stuff (nothing crazy lol, I am actually really shy. When I am having those feelings I am still not at the level of some extroverted people lol).
    So yes, I acquire social skills

Also, I tend to loose the sense of space around me quite easily. I tend to drop my phone more often.

Years
  • In my case I get a bit more happy I guess? My mood is lifted and I generally feel more positive. My first sign is leg weakness/some weird tingle in my legs, hard to explain, but that's where I initially start feeling it - and that's right on the first sip lol. Worst I had it was when I was doing multiple wine tastings a day on vacation last month (2-4 taste tester glasses at 3 or so places) where I was so dizzy I could barely walk straight to the bathroom or see properly. Husband was totally fine, at most maybe a slight buzz but nothing bad at all and the amount still within the safe driving limits since the tester glasses were extremely tiny serves. My tolerance seems to be extremely low.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Haha, which range of emotions do I pick from? I've honestly experienced way too much in terms of being drunk... I guess the "common" things are that I get quite loud, I can't stop dancing and my actual accent comes out and BOY it really comes out. That said I've also done the getting so dizzy it's nauseating part and I've definitely had some very crazy brain moments (such as elaborate ploys in the bathroom to make sure I don't sound like I'm throwing up when I definitely am, so that I'm not thrown out of the club).

Do I generally enjoy the experience? 100%! That said though, I think being tipsy is really great. You feel a little bit fuzzy, for me some social barriers get taken down and such so it just makes things feel really pleasant, without the need to recollect things from the night before that I'd rather not!

Years
  • I'll never drink. I decided this as a child growing up with an alcoholic.
    I feel like a lot of kids with one or both parents as alcoholics do the same.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I can't tell you because I never drank and don't ever plan on doing it. However, based on what I've seen from drunk people, it must not feel good because they stagger, vomit, and wake up with really bad hangovers. I don't see why anybody would want that.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I can't tell you because I never drank and don't ever plan on doing it. However, based on what I've seen from drunk people, it must not feel good because they stagger, vomit, and wake up with really bad hangovers. I don't see why anybody would want that.
    Nobody really wants the vomiting and hangovers part, it's just what happens when you drink far too much. Drinking doesn't necessarily have to result in those things in order to get the nice aspects either (although that can sometimes be easier said than done).

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I am very lightweight when it comes to drinking so I am careful and only usually get like slightly buzzed at most. But for me I definitely get more happy, energetic and talkative the more drinks I have. I also will laugh a lot more, talk a lot louder and I'll probably make some ???? comments like one time I asked why it was so bright outside and in reality it was pitch black and I'd been staring directly into a street lamp for 5 minutes....

I also definitely get quite lightheaded and the floor will feel like it's moving but thankfully have not yet thrown up whilst drinking so small victories I guess :'D I also should really not be allowed near my or anyone else's phone if I've had enough drinks from experience

Back