• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What generation will this game be a part of?

Sirfetch’d

Magearna is also a huge hint that these are a completely new set of games. I wish there had been a trailer confirming more but hopefully something new will come out as of early March :^)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Magearna is also a huge hint that these are a completely new set of games. I wish there had been a trailer confirming more but hopefully something new will come out as of early March :^)
    The official site says to keep checking for updates. Perhaps we'll see some more surprises as Pokémon Day unfolds.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm certain it is indeed Generation 7. From what little footage we have this appears to be a different region with some new Pokemon to be introduced. All new generations always start off with a new region and new Pokemon. They also made a point of briefly showcasing the currently existing six generations, implying that Sun and Moon is not part of Gen 6.

colter519

Youngster
    Years
    Looking at the mansion in the concept art it looks to me like these games will be in a region similar to Kalos. However, it doesn't look completely like Kalos. Whether we call this a new generation or not (who decided what does and doesn't make a new generation anyway: fans or Nintendo?) I think, and kind of hope, that it has ties to Kalos. Mostly because there are some things I'd like explained more, such as mega evolution, Hoopa's rings existing in Hoenn, etc.

In Black/White 2 they opened up additional sections of Unova and in G/S/C they allowed the player to return to Kanto. We consider one to be staying in the current generation and the other to be a new generation, but both had ties to the most recent region and I could see it going either way, while still retaining a connection.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    We may get Z or the rest of gen 6 in the future but from the pictures show, these are definitely generation 7 games, IMO. This excites me a lot really! The concept art of the new bird Pokemon is intriguing :O
    How is there any chance we get Z? They just announced Moon and Sun and we just had ORAS, makes no sense what so ever that Z will still happen.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Well the main website is saying that it's the "next era" of Pokemon. (and mentions a new world, new pokemon and new adventures)

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-sun-and-pokemon-moon/

So it seems like any hopes of it being a continuation of 6th gen are on life support at the moment....and that's being generous.

(That's not to say they can't have a post game episode relating to Zygarde and AZ though)

Sirfetch’d

How is there any chance we get Z? They just announced Moon and Sun and we just had ORAS, makes no sense what so ever that Z will still happen.

If these turn out to be completely new games with no ties to Kalos whatsoever I think that at some point in the future, maybe a year or so after these are released, Kalos could be re-explored with Z or sequels. While unlikely, it isn't something to rule out. We still don't know that these aren't Kalos games or XY sequels so I am not going to speculate on it too much.

Years
    Well from the official site itself...

"...the next era of Pokémon games is being announced! Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in holiday 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!"

And since the titles listed in the Direct were all the main pair titles, then yeah this is looking strongly as 7th Gen.

A blurb like that seems obvious that this will be 7th Generation, because a new Pokemon is always introduced in a new generation, and same goes with the new world aka region.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    A blurb like that seems obvious that this will be 7th Generation, because a new Pokemon is always introduced in a new generation, and same goes with the new world aka region.

Those should have been signs for anyone having doubts.

I dunno about any of you, but Gen VI felt even shorter than Gen V was. Impact-wise.

The Zygarde forms are most likely anime-exclusive. Sun and Moon are almost certainly Gen 7 which means it's unlikely Zygarde 100% will see the light in-game (thank goodness)

I was looking forward to our Zygarde Megazord/Gundam being available in the games thank you very much

Years
    Those should have been signs for anyone having doubts.

I dunno about any of you, but Gen VI felt even shorter than Gen V was. Impact-wise.

2nd Gen is apparently the shortest-lasting generation, but yes I can compare 6th Gen's lifespan to now be the length that 5th Gen was. Both had two paired games (5th Gen had BW/B2W2 while 6th Gen had XY/ORAS) and one of the three years that generation lasted skipped a main series release (2011 and 2015, going by Japanese releases).

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
    Alright I will write a theory, here it is:

As Nintendo said about Gen 7 "Flowers". Yeah "Flowers".I think this "Flower" is AZ's Floette. I mean like come on. As you know, Sun is teamed up with flowers and Moon, well, I guess? So, we know Xerneas brings up life and Yveltal sucks it. So I bet Sun is Xerneas and Moon is Yveltal. So it will be in the Mega Timeline and is a sequel to Gen 6 since Gen 6 is still have many plots to complete, Please reveal the ghost girl's secret! ;-;

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Remember that tourist from XY who gave you a strange souvenir and mentioned his region and champion, as well as the unused moves for Zygarde, AZ's Floette, the empty rooms at the Kalos Power Plant, and the two placeholders found in PokeBank. That to me makes me feel that it's still Gen 6, and the two regions are somehow connected.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    2nd Gen is apparently the shortest-lasting generation, but yes I can compare 6th Gen's lifespan to now be the length that 5th Gen was. Both had two paired games (5th Gen had BW/B2W2 while 6th Gen had XY/ORAS) and one of the three years that generation lasted skipped a main series release (2011 and 2015, going by Japanese releases).

Oh that I know (thanks for the reminder though). It just feels like as far as an impact it had time-wise in the series...it feels short. Real short. Maybe it doesn't help when X&Y felt like a regression in some ways compared to BW.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Gen II had 2001, and Gen III kind of had 2005 (only due to the delay of DP) too. In terms of gaps between releases of first and last games/pairs Gen II and Gen VI are tied with 13 months...

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I've been proposing the idea of some large world building going on, with this being a new game and then Z combining the XY and Sun/Moon somehow with Zygarde as the focal point. It doesn't make sense with the XYZ arc and movies and such, but that's what I would like to see.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I don't know I have some vibes of Kalos..

I think it's a new Generation, well I mean it's always a new generation if there is new Pokemon...

Kalos was a small generation, okay I agree but so does the second generation. They got a small amount of Pokemon, and we have to say they got weak Pokemon. But the games were still awesome!

With Magearna announced, it is a new generation Imo. As for Zygard, I don't think we are gonna have answers before the movie. I think it's only for the movie.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I'm about 90% certain it's a new generation, probably with an entirely new region. With 10% doubt just because I don't trust the blurbs. (Seriously, all of them say nonsense like that without actually saying anything. I remember ORAS said something about it taking place in a "whole new world" and thinking that it might be a sequel to Ruby/Sapphire, but that didn't happen.) I also think that there isn't going to be any post game featuring Kalos, and that they'd be more likely to pick an older generation since we just HAD Kalos and that would pretty much be a waste of resources to cram it in again. Also, it's not very conducive of a 20th anniversary to reintroduce something that is fairly new. If they even have two regions at all in the game, that is, which I am skeptical about.

They could surprise everyone though by instead quickly adding a Z DLC patch to X/Y exploring Zygarde's new forms rather than releasing a whole new game. I'd be all right with this, and this may be what form "Generation 6.5" takes. Most likely though, they're just leaving Kalos behind and moving on to something else.

Last edited:
    Back