• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What happened to Pokemon Z?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    In my personal opinion, I feel like a continuation of Kalos was planned in some form or another in 2015 (most likely Z), but it got dropped due to reasons we'll likely never know--e.g. unexpected budget constraints, technical limitations, etc. All the evidence suggests that it was planned, but just never ended up happening. I'm pretty certain someone's going to mention this to Masuda in an interview in the coming months, so maybe we'll get a definite answer on this soon :)

This seems to be what happened. I mean, why else did we go through all of 2015 without even a reveal, let alone a new game? And, I can't believe that GF thought that XY were complete as they were, because they certainly weren't.

I highly suspect that this planned Kalos follow-up was scrapped because GF realized that 2016 would be the 20th Anniversary, and they didn't think that a new Kalos game would be big or exciting enough (especially since most fans were already expecting either Z or X2Y2 to be made). It probably also didn't help that XY weren't exactly the best-received games among fans (they hold the unfortunate distinction of being the worst-selling initial pair ever, a title once held by Ruby and Sapphire for over a decade).

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    In that case, isn't it reasonable to consider that 'Z' was never part of their roadmap to begin with? Since OR/AS had to be in development at the same time as X & Y, that doesn't leave any breathing room before starting production on Sun / Moon (Which may well have been in the early stages back then too)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I mean it isn't ruled out yet that there could still be a Pokemon Z that who knows could potentially incorporate both Pokemon XY and SM into it. I know we were all expecting a Z version but I think it's awesome since SM came out of left field to be the next set of games. Makes it much more awesome to get something we weren't expecting.

Until we get more info, I would say Pokemon Z is still a possibility, though slim, and would be an interesting game to truly break the pattern that had been set for years

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I won't be satisfied and I won't be getting 'excited' for Sun & Moon until I get an explanation for what happened to Pokemon Z.

So... yeah...

:|

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    It never existed....

It's literally as simple as that. Just because Z was being pushed as an anime thing, people should have expected that there would be no 3rd game called Z or based solely on zygarde.

Z was never planned. Masuda even said this.

" In making "Z"( implying the games were not Z, but a fan thing), we want to change the way things are done and surprise fans"

This is exactly what sun and moon are.

Z never existed, it was cancelled due to technical limitations, or budget( Nintendo has no limit really on what they would give pokemon to spend) issues, etc.

The anime is doing exactly what it did when it began. Advertising the next gen.

Zygarde is cool, but was never meant to be a main focus of the games. As I've been calling, kalos and zygarde are definitely the post game for Sun and Moon in what I'm calling Delta Z. Even if this doesn't happen, there is no way zygarde is not getting involved.

This game is going to be gen 7, but it's going to be a sequel to XY.

Much like Gold and Silver, this game will take place in a new region, will have new pokemon, a new plot, but will still tie back to it's previous installment.

This is also a likely reason for the term it all comes together.

Pokemon was meant to stop at gold and silver. The two games were meant to complete a one time story.

This is most likely going to be the case here. A new game introduced, to complete an old one.

So there is what I think happened to pokemon Z. It never existed or was intended to. Fans just clinged to the same theories as off, and had their expectations flipped upside down, which should have been expected.

This is exactly like the " why no pokemon gray debate".

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • You don't know that for sure. I still want an explanation of what happened to Pokemon Z from Nintendo and/or GameFreak.

You're only guessing. You don't work for them.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2023
    Lolz what , it never existed so how could anything happened to .... Whatever that has never existed lolz

What if the new games have zygarde in it , you still talking about Z then , dont move your hand too fast , wait for the news

Also if you want a third game like emerald then no thanks , i myself think that a completely new game is so much better

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    1. we dont know what sun and moon are about

2. it could be released after sun and moon if they're a new generation

3. they got something up their sleeves

Back