• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What new Pokémon buffs are you most excited about?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Many of the Pokémon that returned in the DLC received buffs in various ways. Personally, I am excited about many of the new buffs. My favorite is perhaps Electivire, one of my all-time favorite Pokémon. In fact, last year, I wrote a blog detailing how Electivire wasn't competitively as bad as people believed it to be. In my blog post, one of the things I listed that could make Electivire better was giving it a strong physical Electric-type move other than Thunder Punch. The Pokémon Scarlet and Violet DLC finally created a new physical Electric-type move called "Supercell Slam," which can give Electric-type physical attackers a better move than Wild Charge now. This helps Electivire tremendously because, with its 100 base power, it allows Electvire to take full advantage of its base 123 Attack. The move's only drawback is that it functions similar to High Jump Kick, where it causes crash damage if it misses. However, with 95% accuracy compared to 90% High Jump High accuracy, it doesn't miss as often. Electivire can also learn Bulk Up now, which allows it to boost its Attack and Defense. In my blog, I even mentioned how Electivire needed a stat-boosting move other than Charge and how it didn't make sense for a Pokémon as bulky looking as Electivire to not be able to learn Bulk Up. What about you? What Pokémon buffs are you most happy about?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I second Supercell Slam. The Luxray from my wild Tera run was pretty happy with it, and I've been quite annoyed for years seeing good physical Electric moves being exclusive to legendaries or pika-clones.

Another amazing buff is Rock Head Hisuian Arcanine, not only that means recoil-less Flare Blitz, but Arcanine can also get Head Smash as egg move, and even Wild Charge.

Wind Rider Shiftry sounds great as well. Granted "Wind" immunity isn't as safe as a straight Flying immunity because actually very few Flying moves are wind-based, but on the other hand taking no damage from moves like Heat Wave and Icy Wind makes it really interesting, especially with the Attack boost on top of it. Pair this with the fact that now Shiftry can get rid of its not so popular typing by Terastallizing, and this Pokémon can get a lot harder to deal with. It can even Tera Fire or Flying to tank a Bug type move and strike back with Stab Heat Wave / Hurricane.

And Empoleon getting Competitive instead of Defiant. Seems like that's going to hit a lot harder.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Agrees on Luxray (and Zebstrika) with Supercell Slam. Never liked Wild Charge. Seemed ridiculous to give it recoil damage, given Thunderbolt's equal power and small paralysis chance. Is not super fond of the potential to miss and take tons of damage. Comes with decent accuracy, at least. Fixes with a Wide Lens, if so desired.

Mentions Cinccino getting an indirect buff. Was always disappointed by Skill Link being a hidden ability, for the purposes of a playthrough. Pairs Technician with Loaded Dice now. Admittedly loses Wide Lens for more accurate Tail Slaps, Triple Axels, and Rock Blasts.

Gave Archaludon some nice things: Stamina, Electro Shot, and more stats. Makes it an interesting new option for rain teams.

Wind Rider Shiftry, as listed above. Really needed something, especially with Meowscarada making it look bad.

Also, as a new Skill Swap fan, Malamar. Hopes to see ridiculous strategies with that. Passes it to someone like Arcanine to trigger Intimidate again, followed by an Overheat. Or Salamence and Draco Meteor. (Presumes it to be too gimmicky for competitive, but still.)

Years
  • I don't know what all the buffs are, but I was happy to be able to use Slaking unchained from Truant. I just rolled through all the double battles in Indigo Disk with this:
    Spoiler:

Weezing getting Neutralizing Gas was a gen 8 change, but these two weren't able to be in the same game until Teal Mask added Weezing back in, so it's still kind of a buff for Slaking.

The opening pair literally only went down once in the entire DLC, which was against the Dragon type 'Elite four' and mostly due to me not noticing my Misty Terrain had ended lol
    All three Slaking knew Body Press and all three Weezing knew Misty Terrain and Protect. Other than that all the moves varied between them.

The opening Slaking-Weezing pair had a Slaking with Fighting Tera, Bulk Up and Drain Punch. The thing was very hard to get rid of xD
    I did not use the second pair much, like maybe once or twice. They mostly just had coverage moves.
    The third pair had a Slaking with Steel Tera and as soon as I beat the Steel type 'Elite Four' that new Hard Press move. Not sure who thought it was a good idea to give this move to Slaking, but it absolutely decimated the Fairy type 'Elite Four'. =D

I was quite pleased being able to see Slaking doing such carnage =D

Attachments

• What new Pokémon buffs are you most excited about?
      421660282_908004937714240_364687461206760950_n.jpg
      137.5 KB · Views: 12
    Back