• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What starter did you choose?

What starter did you choose, and what gender was it? (Select 1 - 3 and 4 - 5)

• Chespin

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Froakie

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Male

Votes: 65 72.2%
  • Female

Votes: 16 17.8%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I don't know if there is a thread on this, if so feel free to delete this thread. What starter did you choose in Pokemon X and Y and what gender was it? If you want you can also post why you chose it.

I chose Fennekin (because I always pick the Fire-Type starter) and unfortunately for me it was male, Delphox really looks like it should be female.

Edit: For voting, pick the starter from your first playthrough. You choose two options, you pick the starter of your first playthrough and it's gender, only those.

Last edited:

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    I have done the game twice now and have chosen froakie(ninja :3) and chespin(very cute)'

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    As soon as i saw Froakie and his evolutions and found it would be a Water/Dark Ninja, i was sold.
    On my 2nd playthorugh i chose Chespin, who is pretty cool as well (:

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I chose chespin but that was because I was not going to use my starter and I really like articuno (the legendary bird for the game if you choose chespin)! Had I decided to use my starter, I would have definitely went froakie!

Nakala Pri

The first time I got a male Chespin and I called him Rumble~

The second time I got a male Chespin called Freddie. <3

Years
    I went with Froakie, because I love Water-types and it's a frickin' ninja frog!

As for the gender, I was also among the many who ended up with the very common males. Still leaves Ruby as my only playthrough where I didn't have my starter being male.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    A couple weeks before the game's launch, I was on the fence between Team Chespin and Team Froakie, but as soon as the final forms were leaked, it was decided. Greninja is the first water-type starter in a long time whose design I genuinely love. :D

Not to say that Chesnaught or Delphox are bad either...in fact, the Kalos starter trio is my new all-time favorite conceptually.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Not to say that Chesnaught or Delphox are bad either...in fact, the Kalos starter trio is my new all-time favorite conceptually.

I agree, the design of these starters is very nice. I do think they should have reversed the gender ratio for Fennekin though, as Delphox just makes no sense being male to me, they should have made female more common than male for Fennekin.

Although, my favourite starter of all-time is Chimchar and it's evolutionary line because it is from my first Pokémon game - Platinum - and as such is my very first Pokémon, so I feel as though it is my favourite.

Oh, how I want to bring my "Chimpy" (Infernape) from Platinum to X. I only don't because there is only one of him, and we went through everything in Platinum, and if I transfer him to Black then X I will never see him again in Platinum. :(

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I wanted Fennekin right when I saw it. I love foxes so what better Pokemon for me!?

Then I saw its last evolution and was really disappointed... Even to this day I don't like Delphox but I just decided to not evolve it the full way. So I still have Braixen xD

But yes! I was Team Fennekin all the way right from the beginning! :3

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
    I chose fennekin in my first ever file, then when I was done, I transfered it to my X. And on X I chose froakie.

Once pokebank came out I transfered delphox to my Y again, and the starter I chose for my current file is chespin. I love all three of them...

I can't decide which is my favorite. All three are cool...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I chose Froakie as my starter (ninja frog is awesome), and it is male, like with the majority of people (cuz, ya know, 87.5 to 12.5 gender ratio).

As for the gender, I was also among the many who ended up with the very common males. Still leaves Ruby as my only playthrough where I didn't have my starter being male.

Hah, me too. First time I played my Ruby, my Torchic was female. I think that I got a female starter one other time too, but I might be imagining it...

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I picked Fennekin, but I really just wanted Zapdos.

I also picked Charmander later on, and I started back in November so I got the event Torchic.. I started out with a well-rounded team of fire-type starters, lol.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Whe I played X I chose Froakie as my starter. I chose Charmander for my Kanto starter my took it off my team after the 7th gym to make room for a Noivern. In Y I chose Froakie again (because I don't like the other starters enough to bother with them) and Bulbasaur as my Kanto starter. Neither of my starters stayed on my team very long in Y.

Years
    I originally planned to get X and my friend was going to get Y, but somehow we ended up switching, so I got Y and she got X. I had planned to select Chespin when I bought X because I was hoping (against hope) that he would evolve into a grass/ground type. However, when Quilladin was revealed, I was totally turned off. So, by the time the games were released, Froakie had grown on me a lot, so I chose Froakie, and (of course) he was a male.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wanted to choose Fennekin at first, but wound up going with Chespin. I'm glad I did, because Chesnaught is just amazing. <3 If used right, it could make an amazing tank. Going to restart my game in the future, and once I do, maybe I'll select Froakie.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2014
    Fire starters always appealed to me, since Gen 3 and 4 had Fire/Fighting type in their third evolution, giving it decent coverage.. I never played a Gen 5 game. Hmm. Despite my knowledge of Torchic being available, I went with Fennekin, he just seemed better than Torchic. Added on to the fact I refused to look at any spoiler filled anything, I had NO idea what was going to happen in its evolution line. Ironically enough, to this day, Delphox remains in the box and level 70, While my Blaziken is level 100, cherished like a God, and is the reason of my first Kalos Elite Four win. Final note. When Serena evolved Frogadier into Greninja, I hated myself for not picking Froakie.

Back