• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of player are you?

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
Years
  • I think I'm a mix of casual and collector, because I try to catch any Pokemon I don't already have throughout my playing the game.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • Mix of Competitive, Casual, and Collector. I have a collectors soul, but I don't often enough act on it. I sometimes dabble in thinking up troll teams for competitive, but mostly I'm Casual.
    Shame Shiny hunter isn't listing, I'm a fan of that, too.

Years
  • An unapologetic casual, first and foremost.

I enjoy battling as well but I can't be bothered to go through all the steps in-game to make a battle ready team. It's been made easier over the years with EV training (and soon, IV training, right?), but there's still the breeding aspect as well. That's too much time for me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Im a dirty capt casual FireRed player.. skip to the next post if you don't wanna red the story of my life.

I had over 500 hours on the game as a kid and i never really had the chance to try anything after that because of the lack of money. After having my gba stolen i discovered emulators and roms and i tried emerald and ruby but it was not the same so i keep on replaying firered once in a while. And since a few weeks ago i have started to play any rom hack based on fire red.

Thank you for your time

Years
  • Both a collector and breeder. Completing the national dex is a huge part of the post game enjoyment for me, and of course breeding also takes up many many hours once I finish the main story. If I stopped after finishing the post game I'd be finished with the game way too quickly. Nothing is more satisfying than breeding my favorite Pokémon with 5-6IVs, or completing my Pokédex so that every wild Pokémon has the little 'caught' icon near it. Feels soo great.

I don't ever battle competitively though, breeding competitive babies is for my own personal enjoyment only. I don't like competitive play really.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I'm definitely a combo of casual playing & battling

but I do like my fair share in collecting the Pokémon I like ;)

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • At this point, I'm pretty much just a casual player who enjoys the games for what they are. Haven't played competitively since the D/P era so I try and savor the games and not just rush through them as I use. Every time I decide to start over and use a new team, it really does feel like a new adventure. The replay value is great. {:3}

Years
  • I love just playing the games casually and taking in the region and story, that being said I did spend some time as a breeder whilst trying to get my perfect shiny Zorua, but I haven't spent much time breeding after that. I just try to enjoy the Pokemon experience as much as possible.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I'm generally a completionist with any video game so for Pokémon I'd say I'm a healthy blend of casual and collector. I've never had the ability to fully complete a dex (thanks, event-only pokémon) but I try to fill it as much as possible as I go along. I enjoy the story and generally just waltz my way through the game until I am done.

Since I'm not a competitive player, post-game doesn't offer too much for me but I still might try and get my Pokémon up to Lv. 100 and beat the E4 over and over just for the fun of it... lol

AleXShi1

Keep it real
    Years
  • When i get a new game i start off by going through it and exploring everything, but i usualy dont shiny hunt or catch alot of pokemons, normaly i get like 3 good pokemon (including my starter) then the rest is for HMs.
    After i complete the game i start capturing every pokemon i can find starting by the ones i like until i get the 100% pokedex
    After that i just hunt for shinies that i like

Years
  • Out of interest, why are you not one for competitive?

I just don't have interest in putting a team together, not very good at figuring out what Pokémon will work best with what. I like to use things purely for looks and that doesn't get you far in competitive unless you're playing against more casual opponents. That and it's more of a switch battle with the same batch of Pokémon in most tiers than anything else. x'D

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    I mostly am just a casual player during the main game. Meaning I don't catch 3 of every Pokémon with a living dex in mind. However since Y is my only game to really compare.

When I started Yellow, Crystal and Sapphire, I mainly got to the end using my starter only but was without a good enough team to battle the final 4/champion. So I set the games aside, then many years later I went back to these games and put a team together using what I had in my pc or trading Pokémon to the game, ie in Yellow I traded a Kadabra and Seel from Crystal and used those as my starters. In Crystal I found a cloned Croconaw and a Jynx in my pc and leveled them up in Victory Road in order to help out my only good Pokémon Typhlosion.

I think when I was a kid I wasn't really playing to complete the game, but rather just to play.

Now for a team I like using underdog Pokémon, in Y I used Klefki and Emolga, in Omega Ruby, I'm using Linoone and Mightyena.
    Of course I didn't think about shiny hunting before Y, mainly because I don't think I knew they existed.

Now in Y my only goals are shiny hunting and completing a living dex.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I would choose none of them. Im a challenger, i take the "bad" pokemon and manage to do great things with them. such as a pikachu defeating a primal groudon, a mirror move vs. darkrai, and so on. i take challenges and crumple them up into things of the past. thats how i play.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Now I'm a breeder. I'm trying to get a shiny of every Pokemon in a matching Pokeball, with 4 egg moves if possible. It's not THAT hard with TSVs and ESVs, but I'm kinda lazy. I used to be just a casual player, though. I would make Pokemon teams that worked ingame all day, haha.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I prefer LGen. Casual. I only play when I feel like it and might go one town! Why I might love pokemon I find myself playing non-handheld games more often. Wouldn't have put all this cheddar into a beast PC otherwise.

I also tend to play on long trips where I don't have to drive or flights (unless I play something on my shield tablet like Borderlands or HL2)

Years
  • My whole life, I was the epitome of Captain Casual, but with the 3DS and beautiful internet battling, I'm now Breeder and Competitor.

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
    Years
  • Competitive with a bit of collectiveness. I've played games and Hack where my sole mission was to get a Pokemon team that consisted of lvl 90 pokemon and have coverage with every type. But also capture every pokemon the game had to offer.
    For example:
    Pokemon Dark Rising Hack
    Team:
    Salamence Lvl 100
    Kingdra lvl 91
    Gliscor lvl 91
    Alazakam lvl 92
    Arcanine lvl 92
    Roserade lvl 91

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    Definetely a casual player. I'm starting to feel interested in competitive battling though.

danny_moon

Pikachu
    Years
  • Casual..........I think. I don't have much time enough to be a Collector, I have another job so I can't be a Breeder, I'm not aggressive enough to be a Competitor.

Back