• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your favorite remake?

Years
  • There are a few remakes of previous Pokémon games available now:

• FireRed/LeafGreen
    • HeartGold/SoulSilver
    • Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
    • Let's Go, Pikachu!/Let's Go, Eevee!
    • Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl

If you could pick one as your favorite remake, which would you choose? How often have you played through it?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Honestly, I would have to pick HGSS. That game has some of the most content out of Pokemon games, and it fixed the main issues I have with GSC as games, while also adding more stuff on.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen yesterday
    HGSS
    Never played the originals so I cant say how much was added, but it's easily 2 or 3 for me regardless.

Years
  • Ahhhh.... I love HGSS, but....

... in terms of how often I've played through them ORAS takes the crown. Played through OR only once, but I've played AS and then reran it 5 times after that so a total of 7 playthroughs in ORAS. Whereas HGSS was only 4 playthroughs combined. The other remakes are all currently on only a single playthrough per version.

ORAS are great games =3

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I'd have to say HGSS since I played those the most. They had the most replay value because of the battle frontier. I particularly liked the battle factory with the rental Pokémon and the battle arcade with the roulette.

ORAS was cool with the ring portals to catch all of the different legendary Pokémon, though. I also like how they took the very rare and obscure mirage island in the originals, then expanded that content in the remake with the daily mirage spots.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    ORAS. Seems only one that is kinda enjoy the remake and every post-game had to offer than the others another one would be HGSS since having higher replay value

Years
    • Seen today
    Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. It's a nice destressing version of Kanto.

I liked ORAS too, although I prefer Emerald for the additional content.

Years
  • hgss! it's not even a game i would prop up on a pedestal or anything, but it's one i've had a lot of fun playing and i think even to this day if i were to ever replay it i would have just as much fun as when i first started. c:

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Of that list I've only played FRLG and HGSS (didn't play the originals of those, either) but I can't imagine anything will top HGSS.

Having played Gen III, IV, V, and now half of Sword and about 5 hours of each of BDSP (excluded from consideration for abiding by the idiotic regional pokédex decision from the originals), I think it might be the peak of what pokémon was, in terms of the classic catch 'em all / 8 gym leaders, E4, and Champion gameplay, with an awesome peripheral, a minigame that took advantage of the DS touchscreem far more effectively than Super Contests, Musical, or Pokéstar Studios, two whole regions (even if they are the most boring ones), great graphics (aside from the awkward 3D on the lighthouse), following pokémon (which they messed up in BDSP by having snakey pokés just glide over the scenery)...perfection. I even found myself preferring the vast majority of the sprites over their DPPt equivalents.

That said, the flying and Delta episode from ORAS sound awesome and Hoenn was my first region so perhaps when I get around to it those'll be my favourites instead! (Doubtful though, given the lack of Battle Frontier - I was an Emerald guy).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Gotta go with HGSS strictly for the satisfying nostalgia bait it was at the time.

Years
  • Has to be Fire Red and Leaf Green for me. Love those games and I've played them the most out of all the remakes because I love the fast pace of Gen 3 games.

Close second place are Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Gorgeous games and I like them a lot but the bad level curve of Johto and the slow pace of Gen 4 games didn't help them reach that first place on my list of favorites.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • HG/SS and OR/AS, if I'm being honest. HG/SS just has the highest replay value for me. Always has. OR/AS kind of saved Gen 6 for me, and Super Secret Bases made them really fun. Even though I'll never replay OR/AS, I did have fun and enjoyed them more than some of the other remakes.

FR/LG were just.... eh? To me. They didn't really add much from R/B/Y except the Sevii Islands and made Kanto easy to play, but they had a lot of problems, imo, like not including the new evolutions in the Kanto Pokedex and forcing Golbat to not evolve by stopping the evolution automatically. Not to mention, not letting you trade with R/S/E until you completed some stupid sidequest.

Never played LGPE and I never will. I am by no means a competitive battler, but I really don't, and never will, like the idea of stripping Pokemon down to just wild catches instead of battles. I'd rather play Pokemon Go instead.

As for BDSP they were...alright, I guess. I enjoyed them, but when I was finished with them, I set them down and haven't really cared since. I've already moved onto Legends Arceus which is leagues better of a Pokemon game. I mean, they were cool. I love Sinnoh, but the games were clearly rushed out the door for a holiday release and had a lot of problems. They also released the game without everything unlocked and had to release patches to add them in which is just... bad, let's be real.

I honestly still think remakes past HG/SS aren't really necessary to begin with, but I guess, in this day and age where not every Pokemon will be available to even put forward into newer games, there will be more anyway.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like both HGSS and ORAS. It's hard for me to pick one over the other. I guess, HGSS are better in terms of aestetics while ORAS has the updated game mechanics (Fairy Tpye, Megas, ...).

Granted, I do appreciate FRLG for how comparably easy they are to make ROM Hacks with; as well as that they are decently speedy to play because the story (and gen 4 slowdown) aren' in the way.

I haven't played BDSP but I've also heard they are very questionable at best. And given that I'm not too hot into Sinnoh and Platinum ending up being a major disappointment for I just don't see those games as even a potential candidate.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • From a content standpoint, HG/SS. They made the amazing games that were the Gen II games even better. I'm not a big fan of some of the changes they made from Crystal like dumbing down Eusine's characterization and not giving Ho-Oh and Lugia equal importance in the adventure, but they were great games regardless.

From a personal enjoyment standpoint? LGPE. Again, some questionable decisions like the proto-Dexit and the half-baked Gen II references bogged them down, but to me it was the most fun to play of the Kanto games so far. It's probably the cleanest-looking Pokémon game on Switch, most of the character redesigns and the art direction were amazing, and it introduced a lot of key changes for future games like Exp. Candy, on-the-go Storage System, and overworld shinies. :D

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • HGSS, even ignoring my bias for Johto and all. They had the most content and polish applied than any of the other remakes, and added the most extra content as well imo. Granted, FRLG had the Sevii islands, but they were fairly fractured and sometimes felt incomplete given the focus on events to unlock encounters barely available to anyone outside of certain locations. They also had, alongside LGPE and BDSP, restrictions on what Pokemon you could use or evolve until postgame, which was just a dumb design choice imo that HGSS happily did not conform to.

Pokeathlon, new routes, following Pokemon (possibly the best that system has been?) redone dungeons in Kanto that had been gone in GSC, Battle Frontier, the whole PokeWalker add-on... all new to the originals. I feel of late I've not enjoyed the newest ones because too much has been the same, outside a couple changes here and there which aren't even necessarily better (Trace as the rival, for example).

Years
  • ORAS, no doubt. I love HGSS and they are in my top fav games, but ORAS was amazing. First of all, I really love Hoenn and third gen, it's just my style: I love the music, the cities, the pokemon designs, the characters' designs and the region too. What I loved about the game was that it felt nostalgic but especially it was innovative. They really managed to get gen 3 renewed to gen 6. Still, there are things I didn't like about the game like the level of difficulty: really easy till the League and then slightly hard. I mean, the League is still easy, but there's quite a gap there.
    HGSS are amazing games and I loved those and I love Jhoto as well. When it comes to durability, I have to say that HGSS gets it because it has the Battle Frontier.
    However, ORAS is innovative: it adds things to a past generation. Megas and Delta Episode. They would have done that in older remakes as well, but there was nothing to add. They didn't in BDSP and that was quite a disappointment imo.
    It's my fav remake because while playing it, it felt like it was similar but somehow different from the older ones and therefore it was a new experience.

Koopa_T

Zygarde Infinite
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    I enjoy playing Heartgold and Soulsilver. Then I would have to say Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu. :)

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were my favorite remakes! More Pokémon, good story that includes the post-game as well, better graphics, balanced levels, challenging Elite Four and Champion, soothing music, excellent features, Secret Bases, O-Powers, Exp. Share to make leveling easier, less HM moves, Soaring in the Sky (amazing feature), good online battling scene, and plenty more. What more could you ask for?

I think that I had a total of maybe 3-4 playthroughs when including both games. I think I played Alpha Sapphire twice and Omega Ruby once when I got it. I could have played Omega Ruby twice as well, but I don't remember.

Back