• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What Were These Games Missing?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Battle Frontier. I could go on and on about how these games should have had a Battle Frontier. Also, Sky Battles, though I know not a whole lot of people liked these in X&Y, I still say it would have been really cool to have wild encounters while soaring be in Sky Battle format.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
    Years
    Battle frontier and trainer customization were the biggest let downs, definitely.

Also, I know they couldn't add this because "gambling" but remakes of old games with the game corner taken out removes a great deal of charm.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I'm not too upset about the Battle Frontier or Customization, but there's a lot of features from past games that I really wish would eventually make an appearance. Following Pokemon, for example.

I read a comment a while ago that feature like that are what make the games they were in special. (The comment specifically referred to trainer customization, but I think it applies to other features as well.) And, I can kind of agree with that, but at the same time, I kinda want... nyaa...

That said, in addition to the things others have mentioned, I would have liked to see some sort of interaction with the pedometer in the 3DS. Something could have been done to get that PokeWalker feel.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Yep they are missing Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde and also naming rivals.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
    Years
    Yep they are missing Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde and also naming rivals.

Those legendaries were available in XY which is why they are not available in ORAS.

The only thing I think the game was missing was the Battle Frontier, which was a huge letdown because I know many, many people were looking forward to it. Trainer customization was planned to be an exclusive feature for Pokemon X and Y, so it makes sense that it wouldn't get in.

Oh, it was also missing the music GBA player. Remember in Heartgold and Soulsilver how you could get the GB Player that would play the music from the original game? ORAS is in DIRE need of that.

Years
    I would've liked a more expansive Safari Zone. I think that the Safari Zone that we have in this version of the game kind of stinks compared to Fire Red. I don't get the same rush I did when I get something in there. I just use False Swipe and I'm good to go.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I would've liked a more expansive Safari Zone. I think that the Safari Zone that we have in this version of the game kind of stinks compared to Fire Red. I don't get the same rush I did when I get something in there. I just use False Swipe and I'm good to go.

Yea, this Safari Zone needed a lot to be desired. Usually a Safari Zone has some "catch" to it (no pun intended), such as the one in Kanto having a time limit, the one in Johto you could customize and put down certain items to adjust which Pokemon appear, even the one in the original RSE had a neat twist with being able to put Pokeblocks into the Pokeblock feeder to adjust what Nature the Pokemon had. This one doesn't have anything like that, it's just like any other place for catching Pokemon. Not sure why they made it like that in this game ~_~

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    In all honesty, the classic Safari Zones are just a pain nowadays when you can get Pokémon you're missing through GTS or even Wonder Trade.

I definitely agree that the lack of the Battle Frontier was a bad decision, but I'll also add that the decision was as dumb as the reasoning behind it. Limiting postgame content, are we in Gen I again?

Cassandra's idea of the GBA player, absolutely agreed. There also should have been some sort of a jukebox option. Instead of the one NPC that changes the overworld theme, only in the Resort, and on top of that to a random one. Delta Episode's done, you won't hear The Heirs to Eternity in-game ever. And in the music department, there's one more thing missing. Wally's theme in the rematches. Brutally replaced with the regular trainer theme in all Maison battles with him. Good job, Gamefreak, stealing a theme from a sick kid. Those two things bug me. A lot.

While I could also say that I agree with the small things like walking Pokémon (which would be neat) or customization (which I'm neutral towards, solely due to never having played XY), I prefer to bring up something bigger. The Gym Leaders. For one, they lack any improvement from their RS teams. The fact that Flannery has her team slightly changed from the original RS one quashes all excuses. Great step backwards from Emerald there, only Norman could say he benefited from it in some way. Tate and Liza turned to a complete joke. No rematches available, like they were in Emerald or HGSS. So much could have been done there. And nothing was.

And from minor things, Voltorb Flip as a minigame. It was already coined up (pun intended) to get rid of all gambling connotations. Yes, it's hard to master. But it was a neat break opportunity when you want to do something different than make use of the fully functional Battle Frontier

Years
    Yea, this Safari Zone needed a lot to be desired. Usually a Safari Zone has some "catch" to it (no pun intended), such as the one in Kanto having a time limit, the one in Johto you could customize and put down certain items to adjust which Pokemon appear, even the one in the original RSE had a neat twist with being able to put Pokeblocks into the Pokeblock feeder to adjust what Nature the Pokemon had. This one doesn't have anything like that, it's just like any other place for catching Pokemon. Not sure why they made it like that in this game ~_~

It upsets me a little bit that they even call it a Safari Zone. It's just an area with a lot of wild Pokemon that you battle with.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    An expanded Hoenn dex that isn't cross-gen evolutions. It would've helped accommodate the issue of Hoenn's gym leader/Elite Four rosters repeating Pokemon from the same family line (looking at you, Glacia).

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think they should have integrated some of the features that Emerald introduced. They did it with HGSS, so I don't really understand why they didn't do it with ORAS unless they have future plans related to that. Eusine and the Suicune storyline are present in HGSS, that was something exclusive to Crystal which led me to believe that we would see Scott and Juan in the Ruby and Sapphire remakes.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    More challenging Contests, a better Safari Zone that implemented PokéBlocks again (remember how you'd have a better chance of getting a Pokémon with a nature that liked the flavor of PokéBlock you put out for bait? Good times), trainer customization would have been nice but I can understand why it was omitted. I would have liked Battle Frontier but it makes sense why it wasn't in the games - it was in Emerald, not Ruby/Sapphire.

This is also minor but I do really like that you can get both the Acro and Mach bikes in this game, but it would have been more practical to just have Rydel give you a whole new bike that used both features (and was green, since Mach was blue and Acro was red but anyway), and you could just switch gears with L/R, or something along that nature. It's kind of annoying having to switch between both bikes in the Safari Zone, for instance.

Years
    The Battle Frontier's already been brought up, so I'll just say difficulty; I found the games pretty simple and easy to complete.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm completely with all the posts here.

Add Gym Leader and rival rematches for me.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Trainer customisation and Gym Leader Rematches for me.

Trainer customisation was in XY and it would have been nice to change our characters appearance
    Even just being able to change colours (say give May Black Hair) would have been fine.

The lack of Gym Leader Rematches was a real disappointment. As it stands if I want to battle say Flannery again I either have to restart my game or play the White 2 PWT.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    An expanded Hoenn dex that isn't cross-gen evolutions. It would've helped accommodate the issue of Hoenn's gym leader/Elite Four rosters repeating Pokemon from the same family line (looking at you, Glacia).

Well we do still at least get to go against some non-Hoenn native Pokémon when we rematch the Elite Four. Sidney uses a Scrafty, Zoroark, and Mandibuzz, for example, and Glacia uses an Abomasnow, Vanillish, and Beartic. In remakes they normally don't expand the Regional Dex beyond cross-gen evolutions, since we eventually obtain a National Dex at some point in the game anyways~

Another thing that these games are in dire need of is Wi-Fi multiplayer Pokémon Contest. Why are multiplayer contests limited to a local connection, Game Freak?? This is another one I've harped on a bit, but still, it makes me a bit sad every time I'm reminded of it and I can't help but think it's something they just...dropped the ball on ;;

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Battle Frontier, Wifi support for contests, more actual Trick Master... puzzles with trainers who had stronger Pokemon ala RSE (I liked having to be able to come back after every Gym, like it took him time to make the next one, and be challenged by the puzzle and the trainers in there), the Game Corner (but why is rather understandable)...

...But maybe I am saltiest about the lack of the Berry blending minigame. =(

Not really agreeing with the GBA sounds! While I like the RSE tunes themselves, the trumpet 'sample' used is... poor. Still, a couple songs may have been better (e.g. E4 battle theme - where's my clapping?), but in the end I didn't mind this not making the cut.

Back