• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What would be your favorite thing about gen 1 ?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Hello guys !

Im working on a gen1 3D fan game and I wanted to know what are your favorite things about this gen, and why is that thing so special to you !
    Im interested about your experiences with those games cause it could give me some cool idears !

Ill start :)

One thing I liked about this gen is the simplicity of the scenario and the lore. No crazy magic/god/other universes like the most recent games.
    To me, it helps to gives credibility to all those crazy creatures !

Your turn :)

pkmin3033

I agree with both of the above points. The lack of a threadbare, low-quality narrative and the greater focus on player-directed exploration are both very positive aspects of the first generation titles.

Also, the greater emphasis on puzzle solving in dungeons. This was moved to Gyms in later generations, but the Seafoam Islands have always been a standout for me in terms of dungeons in these games because you have to really work to get to Articuno and it's pretty rewarding when you finally do.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Yeah, it has been a long while since I played those games and yet I remember this cave !
    Even though the need of the HM was a major bummer for me, but Im okay with it for the first gens, not so much with the recent games, they could have thought about something different.

Oh And I'm also interested about the think you guys did'nt like !
    Things like the overneed of HMs could be a good exemple, even though id say its excusable for a first take on a console like the GameBoy

Last edited by a moderator:

pkmin3033

I don't think HMs are that big of an issue as long as you include a Move Deleter tbh. Their biggest inconvenience in Gen I at least was that you had to either put them on your Pokemon or have an HM slave to hand, but if you incorporate some of the QoL features from later gens - re-usable TMs, for example - and have HMs be treated as TMs, or have a free Move Deleter and Relearner at every Pokemon Center or something like that, they'd be a minor annoyance only. Teach a Pokemon an HM for a dungeon, then overwrite it with a TM or delete it and then relearn the move you gave up for it. It's an inelegant solution, but it is a solution, and it's certainly no more of a time waster than having to go through the same wall of text every time you want to heal your Pokemon at a center.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Yeah I agree whith what you say, plus the Hm's gives another purpose to your pokemon than just fighting ! They interact with the world around you, and how cool is that to be able to go through the seas on the back of your pokemon !
    Using your Pkmn abilities to help you go through the world is a thing I consider for my game, but in a more organic way.

pkmin3033

Would it be possible to have them as natural abilities? Have certain Pokemon with claws able to use Cut, larger ones able to use Strength, Flying/Water types that are big enough able to use Surf and Waterfall etc, without them being actual moves? I have no idea of the coding that would be required for that, but that'd be the most organic way of incorporating them that I can think of: having them as natural field abilities, rather than specific moves a Pokemon uses.

I'm one of those people who doesn't mind HMs too much in principle and wasn't overly offended by them in the first generation, because Surf was quite a useful move, and I didn't suffer for having Strength on one of my Pokemon. Cut I did need to use an HM Slave, and Flash I just did without.

Years
    • Seen today
    The lack of direction. My favorite thing about older RPG's is relying on hints or getting lucky and wandering the right way.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The two things that I love about this generation are the Pokemon and the simple story. I don't play Pokemon for the story, but for the adventure so the focus on the really bad storylines ever since rse has been my least favorite addition.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    The execution in general. Actually working out the concept where you'd roam, catch, train and fight you Pokémon at that time felt like absolute magic.
    It's simplicity compared to the more recent games. Of course, nowadays we can Google whatever we want/ need.

The lack of direction. My favorite thing about older RPG's is relying on hints or getting lucky and wandering the right way.

I couldn't agree more. Sure, I'm aware of it's target audience and all but I really, really don't like when my hand is being held throughout the game.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    The world was a lot more open. You could (after the first two gyms and last gym) theoretically do the gyms in any order you wanted. The story didn't force you to do the gyms in the exact order they're supposed to, apart from Brock, Misty and Giovanni. I also agree with everyone above saying about simplicity. Those were great abt gen I.

Also the glitches look pretty fun to learn how to do, but I haven't played Gen I outside emulators yet.

Years
    Yeah I agree with everyone else tbf, I've only played Gen 1 a couple of times, but the openess and emphasis on player exploration is a big plus for those games! Pokemon games definitely created a strict linear narrative without a lot of hand-holding in recent years, but the world just seems that more vast and mysterious when you're let to yourself, which is something I definitely loved!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I started with Silver and got Red solely to see this "MissingNo." I'd been hearing about. Next to glitches, probably the funky sprites. Golbat, Rhyhorn, Kabuto, and Moltres are a few that stick out to me.

I think everything else I like about Gen. I comes from outside the games: cards, stickers, Burger King toys... I miss when Pokémon was booming and you saw its merchandise everywhere.

Last edited:
    Years
    I like the overall darker tone of gen 1. My favorite part is going to Lavender Town, hearing the strange, somber music, entering the tower where the dead pokemon are buried, and solving the murder mystery of the ghost that haunts the tower. This wouldn't have probably gotten pass the story editors and censors today.

Being the first and most rough hewn of the generations can make gen 1 an interesting spectacle to behold. It's a grim world, barebones world that's not particularly moral with it's slot machines, peeping Tom NPCs, gym leaders training their pokemon with bull whips and several pokedex entries for pokemon that sound violent and cruel like Gyarados or Nidoqueen, others are more creepy and weird like Parasect or Jynx, and a few that are more sinister like Ninetales or Articuno.

Giovanni is a mafia don, and there's no lofty philosophy about using pokemon to change the world. You don't become friends with your rival or the champion, and are pretty much on your own in the world without regular guidance or companionship from anyone. It's about survival of the fittest. I love that Red is and should always be a silent protagonist because he comes from a lonely world with nobody to hold your hand.

Friendship does not exist as a mechanic for the player with their pokemon in the original Red and Blue games. This is not only because of the limitations of technology of the era I think, it's just not what the games were really about at that point. Very seldom are pokemon described in friendly terms. A lot of the pokedex entries when they're not saying something outright disturbing about the pokemon are just clinical observations about their native habbitat, diet and various physical attributes like their size, whiskers or the stingers on their head etc. They are more like wild animals you are training and experimenting with, and it's fascinating how the series has evolved from something so different over the years to me at least.

There are a couple of lines of dialogue in the story to the effect of, you came far because you have confidence in your pokemon, and have worked hard, but the game at its core about getting strong, and is seldom sentimental.

I'm not saying this is necessarily better or worse than the games today, but it's an entirely different beast, and I can respect gen 1 for what it is.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    This is in hindsight, but I like the simplicity of it. Pokemon was such a lightening in a bottle phenomenon and the simple joy of being able to explore and catch Pokemon with no hard-set narrative was so wonderful. <3

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    Some locations and a good portion of the Pokemon designs are the highlight for me. Other than that, I struggle to like gen 1 that much.

Back