• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the worst you've ever heard a Pokemon name mis-pronounced?

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
Years
  • So yeah as the title suggests, what's the worst you've ever heard a Pokemon name mis-pronounced? Or did you used to mis-pronounce certain Pokemon yourself? For example, Suicune. How many pronounciations were there for that mother? The worst for me (or most memorable) was an old friend I had who used to pronounce Rattata as "Rada-Tada". Super duper annoying... like guy we watch this show every day at 4, how are you not grasping this lol? Anyway what strange names have you called/heard people call Pokemon in the past?

ALSO this is more of a mis-interpretation than mis-pronunciation but straight up I used to think Mantine was the bogeyman pokemon bc

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • "Oh, it's RAY-chu!" That line from Pokemon Stadium still bothers me a little.
    I'll admit that I'm guilty of having used an awful pronunciation of Suicune for the longest when I was a lot younger - I'd always say "Soo-ih-SOON" because I couldn't figure out how it was actually supposed to be said.

Years
  • I had a friend back in high school that pronounced Nidorino as "Ny-doh-rhy-no".

I don't remember if he pronounced any other name differently, I just remember that one because it was said so much differently from what I was expecting.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Eevee as I-vee

Thats the only one I can think of at the momebt but I know I've heard many others.

I personally had a hard time with Reuniculus. I still don't know how to pronounce Yvetail XD

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    A cousin of mine, who also loves Pokemon, used to pronounce the move Cut as "cute". Also, he pronounced Heart Gold as Heard Gold, and Soul Silver as Shool Silver or something.

pkmin3033

Just people pronouncing "Pokemon" is the worst mispronunciation I've ever heard, never mind the names:

Poke-him-on
    Poke-ee-mon
    Poker-mon (funnily enough the English dub used this in the beginning, so literally everyone in my school - myself included - used this one too)
    Poe-kim-mon
    Pok-eh-mon

Someone, kill me now.

That said, I've been guilty of some pretty awful mispronunciations of names before I've heard the "correct" pronunciation in the dub. I used to call Dialga "Dial-gar" when I first got Diamond. xD

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016

I stared at this for ages trying to see the monster and I think I do but what did you think the actual face was? xD

I was very young when the game first came out and couldn't pronouce a lot of the names. I gave up entirely with Ivysaur and called it 'Ivy'.

Pronounced Suicune like 'soi-cune' until Pokemon 4ever came out.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • I stared at this for ages trying to see the monster and I think I do but what did you think the actual face was? xD

LOOOOOOL idk that was the scary part! I couldn't make sense of it, I was just convinced it was a zombie/bogeyman/demon Pokemon idk I was literally 7 years old ok

It's the Remoraid (spelling), now that i think about it. It makes it look like an eye and a deformed face... again idk don't judge me haha :(

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • I think the worst I ever mispronounced a Pokemon was Buizel which I used to keep calling it Boo-shiel. I can't recall hearing anyone mispronounce a Pokemon name before other than an instance in the Advanced Generation Pokerap where they mispronounced Groudon and Kyogre, but I don't think that would count.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I'm not very certain how Kyogre's pronounced. I'm almost sure it's Kai-or-guh because of its Japanese name. Other than that, my friends were arguing how Kyogre was pronounced. I shared mine, and one of them replied, "Are we in Japan? Are WE in JAPAN?"

Other than that, I just want to point out how botched up the second verse of the Hoenn PokéRap was. Just listen to how they pronounce Kyogre, Groudon, and Beldum. (Also CollegeHumor's PokéRap 718 was just laughable when it came to pronunciations. How does one fail to pronounce MINUN OR SCIZOR?!)

Runiel

I am male
    Years
  • One of my my Bud mispronounced Groudon as Gr-uu-don,
    I can see how he mispronounce that but like, c'mon it's that easy.
    I also heard someone mispronounce Arceus as Ar-CE (Not an 'S' C but a 'C' C)-Us, which is very sad.

Oh, and i also cannot Pronounce Dragalge.
    Is it a "Dra-Galje", or "Drag-Alje", or "Dra-Galge", or maybe "Dra-Galgey"
    Someone please help Me :|

Years
  • It drives me insane hearing people call Rattata ra-TA-ta, with emphasis on the first 'ta.' See here for example.

Like.. I find it incorrect. I don't say it that way. /-: I say it the same way they did in the Pokémon Emergency anime episode. Well, I guess it wouldn't be the first time the anime's made a mistake like this if it's incorrect and the Pokédex Pro's version is the actual correct pronunciation. (Recalling their instance of calling Growlithe 'Arcanine,' saying water types are weak to fire types, and etc.)

Same with Suicune, everyone I knew mispronounced it for the longest time. Anything from Swee-soon to Sooi-koon, so I was surprised when I heard it pronounced Swee-koon. Luckily it didn't take long to adjust.

I'm still not used to Arceus' localized pronunciation though & go by Ar-see-us like it is in Japanese too, lol.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I often mispronounced Numel's name a lot when I first saw it, and like Janna said I found Suicune an even harder name to say. Others that stumped me for a while included Rayquaza, Bonsly and even Deino's entire evolution line.

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    Probably the way I used to pronounce "Lilligant." It actually sounded pretty much correct, but what makes it so bad is the reason why I mispronounced it slightly in the first place. You see, it's obviously a portmanteau of "lily" and "elegant" ...but for some reason I always thought it was a combination of "lily" and "litigant", a person involved in a lawsuit.

I know, it makes absolutely no sense why I would think that. That's what makes it so embarrassing.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • People mispronouncing "Gardevoir" because people who misprounouce mah lady (and yes in my perspective All Gardevoirs are females) deserves a shotgun blast to the testicles as Gar-De-VORE. Oh why.... why!!!!!!!! Which is why only a select few can be her trainers only. The "voir" in Gardevoir is pronounced as the same was as how you would say the "voir" part in reservoir.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • SO many mispronuntiations! the worst I've ever heard is so many adults saying about pikachu (pronounced peeky-chew)! It's not even hard to say!
    And my brother, whos favorite legendary pokemon is why-ver-tel.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • I used to pronounce Suicune as "sue-seen". I also said "ray-chu".

I also said, and sometimes still do say "guy-rad-ose" for Gyarados.

I used to say "why-vel-tall", but now I usually say "ee-vel-tall". I remember that I used to say "zie-gar-day" until I started to say "zie-gard".

Alomomola really got me. I prounounced it "ah-la-mole-ah".

I used to pronounce Kyogre as "kie-rogue".

I also used to pronounce Watchog as "watch-dog"

And until literally just barely, I thought Phione was pronounced "fie-own", instead of its correct pronunciation, which is "fee-oh-nay".

I also thought Liepard was "lee-ah-pard".

I pronounced Kyurem as "kie-rum"

One of my my Bud mispronounced Groudon as Gr-uu-don,
    I can see how he mispronounce that but like, c'mon it's that easy.
    I also heard someone mispronounce Arceus as Ar-CE (Not an 'S' C but a 'C' C)-Us, which is very sad.
    Actually the official english pronunciation IS "ark-ee-us".

Oh, and I also cannot Pronounce Dragalge.
    Is it a "Dra-Galje", or "Drag-Alje", or "Dra-Galge", or maybe "Dra-Galgey"
    Someone please help Me

It's pronounced "drag-al-jey", as it's a combination of dragon and algae.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2016
    Lots of Suicune ones here, but I think mine just might be the best/worst haha. Soo-sheen. 'Soo' for 'Sui' - fair enough I guess, but I really can't justify pronouncing 'cune' as 'sheen'. Unfortunately, since that's how I pronounced it for years, that's still how I read the name in my head whenever I see it.

Years
  • I used to say rumple for wurmple It was only in ORAS I realised the U was before the R
    Plus ones like Rayquaza, Arceus I pronounce in the ways that sound better in my accent (Ray-kwa-za, Arseus) the apparent official ways sound too American.

also not actually a pokemon but I used to call paralyse heals "parsley" heal until a lot older that Id like to admit.

Back