• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your opinion on fakemon in fangames?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
  • I wanted to know what your opinions are on fakemon in fan games?

I personally only like them if they're well designed and sprited.

Years
  • I like almost all Fakemon, as long as they're not terrible.

There used to be a point in time when there were only 386, and anything more was a gift. Plus, I'm always curious to see what Fakemon spriters ideas of Pokemon are.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • I like them, for the most part. I'm fairly picky. I dislike about 80% of the Black and White pokemon, I think they look like they were done by a bad fan artist...

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • I don't mind them, but I'd much rather have the option or choice of whether I want to catch them. Some of them are just terrible, but I'm trying to create some for my game - and I get the opinion of other's before saying, "Yeah, those will be catchable." If it's not approved by the fans of my game, then it gets cut in favor of a new Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    Fair and balanced

The problem with many fakemon is that when they are brought into the world of battling, people want to make them Uber. So Uber that they could kick the snot out of legendaries. What needs to happen to make a fakemon usable in a fan game is for them to have a move pool that makes sense.

A ghost type fakemone will probably learn ghost type attacks and can be tutuored and learn special attacks and the like. And unless you're making a legendary for your own game, the stats will also make sense. something around 90 might be good.

As long as Fakemon aren't overpowered and their moves and leveling seem fair when compared to the other guys in the game, then they's good by me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    90 is still a bit high - 90 in each stat is almost Togekiss level. Fully evolved Pokémon tend to have a base stat total of around 480-500 (or 80 in each stat). Starters tend to have a bit more (520-540), while pseudo-legendaries (e.g. Dragonite, Salamence) have 600. Legendary trios usually have 580, 'cover legendaries' have 670-680, and event legendaries have 600.

Anyway, the most important factor for me is that they fit in with the rest of the Pokémon. For example, Pokémon Quartz's ones would have been much worse if Baro had included existing Pokémon as well; although they don't look very good, at least they're consistent. Fortunately, the majority of games with Fakemon have good designers and spriters :)
    One thing that does annoy me a little is when a game has mostly existing Pokémon, but a very small number of Fakemon (e.g. just starters or legendaries). It makes the creator look a bit lazy; if they can create a couple of good Pokémon, why not more?
    But overall, I still prefer games with Fakemon to ones without (unless they're ridiculously bad). Part of the fun of playing a new Pokémon game for the first time is not knowing everything about the Pokémon you catch, whether it be through the use of Fakemon, or even something simple like revamping the moves they learn by leveling up (or even adding new moves).

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I think Fakemon are kind of necessary, it adds more to the games over just having the usual 649. Personally, I like to see all the original ones as well as some new ones - Especially since every region does have it's own specific pokemon.

The matter of utmost importance however, is, are they well designed, and nice looking. Now THAT is a different story. Most Fakemon are terrible, to a point where I'd rather just see the original 649.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    Fakemon in fan games are OK, as long as they feel like real mons. When Fakemon start appearing in official Nintendo games, then we have a problem. >.>

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I think Fakemon are kind of necessary, it adds more to the games over just having the usual 649. Personally, I like to see all the original ones as well as some new ones - Especially since every region does have it's own specific pokemon.

The matter of utmost importance however, is, are they well designed, and nice looking. Now THAT is a different story. Most Fakemon are terrible, to a point where I'd rather just see the original 649.

I pretty much agree, I mean I won't play a game without fakes, unless its amazing.
    Although, yeah I hate Baro-mon, because if the fakemon suck, chances are, so does the game.
    Also, I think the fakemon are getting less and less creative.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    If they creator are good. Play a game with ugly Fakemon is terrible...
    Fakemon are a option to a standart pokégame, if you like Fakemon play Fakemon games, if you didn't like, play game without they.
    But aren't many complete games to choose...

And I hate evolution of pokémon like Tauros, Absol, Rhydon (lol), etc... Give they better moves and Abilities. Evolution it's for pokémon like Pachirisu, Dunsparce, Qwillfish, Chatot, Parasect, Kricketune and not amost every old pokémon!

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2010
    i personally think as long as it has a ken sugimori style and the right moveset and stuff for what it is im okay.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I hate fakemon. I'd rather stick to what im used to. The make the game feel cheap and nasty.

Himalama

Ghost and Psychic type addict
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013
    I think fakemon can make a game more fun, but only if they're well-designed and 'sugi-like'. I think they have to look a bit official, not like digimon or just dragons... I guess you know what I mean :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Well I think that if they have an appealing design, are sprited well, are balanced in terms of stats, movepool etc. and are consistent with the other pokemon in the game, then fakemon are great. I intend on having fakemon in my game when the holidays come around, and I've already started making them. Here's a sprite I made that give an idea of what I mean:

Hopefully this is considered a good quality sprite; I'd hate for it to end up resembling something of baro's. But I think it should give an idea of what I look for in a fakemon.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • The problem with fakemon is that they usually don't "fit" with the normal pokemon sprites. you can tell they were made by different people (offical gamefreak guys vs fangame guy)

So, all fakemon or no fakemon.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    Well I think that if they have an appealing design, are sprited well, are balanced in terms of stats, movepool etc. and are consistent with the other pokemon in the game, then fakemon are great. I intend on having fakemon in my game when the holidays come around, and I've already started making them. Here's a sprite I made that give an idea of what I mean:

Hopefully this is considered a good quality sprite; I'd hate for it to end up resembling something of baro's. But I think it should give an idea of what I look for in a fakemon.

Looks more like a fusion of diglet and buterfree.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2011
    With all the new additions to the list from the newly arrived Pokemon Black and White, I say stop with the Fakemon. I love the idea of them but they would continue to be pushed future and future back as more and more pokemon from Game Freak are added, granted Game Freak does it horribly for the Metagame but they are added none the less.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I like seeing fakemon in fan games, in fact it's one of the main things that would catch my interest. Obviously the fakemon should be at the very least well sprited....putting the actual design aside for the moment.

For me an awful lot of the pokemon experience is discovering new pokemon and learning what makes them tick.

Back