• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] When creating a game is / becomes something extremely boring ...

Vini310

Just a Player
Years
  • Introduction
    Imagine that you are creating a game. In the beginning you have fun creating and editing the game on the highest piece of cake, until, over time, continue working on the game becomes something so boring, but so boring, you just give up without thinking twice.
    It must be how it feels when you create a startup a game for the first time and ends up encountering many failures / errors that can not resolve and do not know anyone who can help you.
    I feel like every time I create a game. To tell the truth, I tell a little story for you:
    When I downloaded RPG Maker for the first time, my first intention was to create games of Pokémon ONLY. Over time, create Pokemon games became extremely tedious, even worse was when I tried to create a game Online first: it was something VERY bad!
    Currently, I'm not ready to create a Pokémon game, much less a game online, why? Because I still consider myself a beginner in RPG Maker. Magnitude create games that simply will not make sense. It's like building a building knowing that it will fall.
    I am currently creating a game called Super Mario Revolution. When he's ready, I'll post here on the forum.
    My goal is to finish a WHOLE lot of Fangames. I already have the story of them all nearly ready, there is no reason to create another type of game.
    Why I created this topic? To you, dear users, express your opinion regarding the creation of games and when it becomes boring.
    Why is this message with so many errors of English? Because, unfortunately, because I can not speak fluent English, had to use the Google Translator.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • As this is more about the trials and tribulations of creating video games, and as you make reference to RPG Maker, you'll probably get a better response in the Game Development forum, so I'm gonna move it there.

Moving on up

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • It's a common process. people natually get bored of something they're doing for a long time.

I always hit patches of time where i just don't feel like touching rpgmaker. -tends to usually be a week after every demo release, i just loose all interest.

For me, the best thing to do was. Just take a break.
    working on games when i didn't feel like was counter productive, as work output would be minimal. I would waste lots of time, not really doing anything, when i just wanted to play some playstation or something.
    Now, if i don't feel like working on it, i don't...

Eventually, that itch to finish the game will return and i transition back into developement mode.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Creating a game for a long time can get boring, but games do take a long time to develop.
    When it's done it would feel worth it.
    When I get bored I normally tinker with something else, game dev wise, and when that gets boring i go back.

Years
  • I tend to only get bored when I'm stuck with something and can't figure it out. Usually, tutorials or asking people questions or just looking at how someone else solved a similar problem will energize me and keep me motivated enough to figure it out.

When I feel really unmotivated I'll always look at other people's projects or look at my vision board for whatever project I'm creating, and this will usually get me going again.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I have this feeling a lot while updating Essentials. Every effect I don't know how to code just depresses me a little, and it's hard to build up steam to tackle one of the many larger aspects that need fixing.

The euphoria of putting out a release doesn't last long at all, and is quickly replaced with the tediousness of updating the wiki and answering the swathe of new questions. Like DarkDoom, I also immediately lose interest in working on it at all, which can last a couple of weeks.

I don't know if setting myself deadlines makes me more or less likely to want to work on it.

It doesn't help when I know there are very few people who could even comprehend the exact nature of the problems that need solving, let alone be able to actually solve them. And all the while there are those who are clamouring for unreasonable additions to Essentials, as if they're entitled to it. It's more pressure than that experienced by those who have announced games but never released anything (you know who you are). I would even say it's more pressure than any fangame (completed/demo/beta/whatever stage of development), because Essentials doesn't have the luxury of being known as "under development" - people expect it to just work - and completed games are so rare that people don't complain about them just because they're happy it exists at all.

What was the topic? Boredom? Ah, right.

I wouldn't say maintaining Essentials is at all boring. I'd say it's daunting and intimidating. I would imagine the same applies for game-making too, i.e. the work puts you off primarily because of its volume and/or complexity, not because of how mindless it is.

If you do find things are becoming boring and repetitive, you should take great care to make sure that you don't suddenly decide to change everything for the sake of having something fresh. This is closely related to DNF Syndrome, and has certainly afflicted a number of fangames here in the past, repeatedly.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This boredom defeat me... ten years ago. Now I practically won't have it!
    Eventually, that itch to finish the game will return and i transition back into developement mode.
    I have this feeling a lot. I am more concerned on progress fast than boredom because advance is very good!

It's a common process. people natually get bored of something they're doing for a long time.
    Or the people familiarize with something they're doing for a long time. So people can do the same job for decades! Everything is how do you deal with it!

In the beginning you have fun creating and editing the game on the highest piece of cake, until, over time, continue working on the game becomes something so boring, but so boring, you just give up without thinking twice.
    On otherside in start you're bad at game making, and became better, better, and the sky is the limit! =D

I tend to only get bored when I'm stuck with something and can't figure it out.
    When this happen to me I continues trying, thinking: "I won't let you defeat me!". The feeling when I manage to unstuck makes me think: "Nice try, but you can't defeat me, ha ha ha!". However, the progress delay solving these problems makes me a little sad.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    In my opinion, it may be in part a matter of exceedingly high ambitions without a full understanding of the problem/project itself. It just feels so great to think "Oh, I will create this and that and it's gonna be amazing!": marvelous fuel for ambition. But then, most face the real problem: "But, how can I do this?"

Without that knowledge, you loose time figuring out a solution, until, after several similar situations, you find out you haven't made much of a progress or it's not what you expected. Then, the boredom appears... and that is just so uninspiring many end up dropping the project.

I know it because I've faced this same situation many, many times. Still, one learns from failures a lot. Rebuilding and rebuilding, you figure out what your previous flaw was and, when you attempt to try the same project again, you perform even better.

I believe making a game is not a matter of ambition, but a matter of being ready to fail many times and learn from the mistakes to perform even better the next time. Anyway, that's my humble opinion...

Back