• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When we were kids, we dreamed of the stars...

Years
  • Ten years ago, I probably thought I'd be through college and have a career. Maybe even be dating by this point! That's what Real PeopleTM do. Instead I'm at this dead end working foodservice and living paycheck to paycheck...
    Honestly, I didn't think too far into my future, especially at 14. Except for crazy daydreams that couldn't happen, like being a published author or having my awesome fanfic become canon (lolwat). :p

I think I could go back to school and/or get on a better career path within 10 years. Whether I will or not is the question.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Totaly Diffrent lol, I thought I whas going to be A game Designer lol.

Haha! When I was like, 10 or something, I learned "the truth" that video games are not just magically created from fairy dust and then stuffed in a box -- "ZOMG COMPANIES DEVELOP THEM?!" I was a dumb kid.
    And for the next 5 years, I was absolutely convinced that was what I wanted to do with my life.

Needless to say, as much as I enjoy 3D modeling and such things, I don't want to make a living out of it.

Sure, it's still achievable, it's still physically possible; it's just not a desire anymore.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Nope! 10 years ago I was 11 and I was dead set on becoming a NASCAR driver, then a hockey player, then a criminal investigator, then a civil engineer...Never once did I think I would actually have joined the Army. I thought about doing it back then, but I never thought I would actually go through with it. I love being in the Army, but I am beginning to hate my MOS (Job) which is a vehicle mechanic. I originally wanted to join as either a combat engineer, horizontal construction engineer or infantry. But surprisingly there was no slots available for any of those jobs (infantry being filled reaaally surprised me). I've been trying to get my MOS switched to a combat engineer but so far no luck, but overall I'm content where I am now.

Years
    • Age 36
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    Kids think everything is possible without worry. Haha, thinking on it, I wanted to be a Paranormal scientist. I was a huge x-files fan when I was a kid. Due to other unforseen bumps in my path, I'm nowhere near that now. Would I trade it all away to go after that interest? Maybe so.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Oh yeah I'm nowhere near where I thought I'd be 10 years ago lol. I'm less successful, less ambitious and less driven.

And thank God for that because I'm loving every minute of it.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I was 8 years old and wanted to be a Major League Baseball player.

I mean, I'm still in high school, so it's not like that dream would've been completely wrong.
    If I didn't stop playing last year and if I was good enough to actual go onto college with it.
    But, nope.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • When I was 14 I wanted to go to Uni and get a masters and everything my parents wanted. I mean there were other things I wanted too but to me what my parents wanted was the most important thing in my life.

10 years later I'm 24 and I've actually only done the things that I wanted. I think I'd have been a lot more miserable if I had listened to them.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • Ten years ago, I was like, 10? I didn't have many dreams of the future back then, but I'd never thought I'll be doing what I'm doing today. I can't remember what I thought about 10 years ago; that's too long a time gap - but I do have vague memories of wanting to become a singer of sorts. Is it achievable in my current position? No lol. That's not my path anymore, though I still enjoy singing.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I don't know if I was even thinking about my future 10 years ago. I don't really remember. Even if I was, it would probably have been something mundane, like continuing my education, which I am doing.

However, sometimes I do wish I was more ambitious and hard working. But I don't know. I am somewhat content with where I am now, I suppose.

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • Ahh I think the only thing I cared about 10 years ago when I was 8 was that I still liked Pokémon. And here I am. ;P

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2015
    10 years ago I was busy being 8 years old and thinking about 8 year old stuff. To be fair, I still don't know the answer to "What do you want to do with your life?"

Years
  • 10 years ago would make me 10...To be honest, I rarely remember anything before middle/high school. I know that my profession aspirations have changed drastically though. It went from doctor > nurse practitioner > nurse > psychologist > systems analyst. Before high school, I was very driven to be involved in the medical field in regards to my career, but then I realized that the sciences, especially chemistry and physics, were not subjects that I enjoyed. So I was running around like a chicken without a head during my senior year of high school, trying to figure out what I should be doing.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • 10 years ago, I was 6 and I wanted to be a football player lmao. Guess this isn't happening anymore ;;

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • I basically am where I thought I would be. I've always wanted to do that I am doing, and I always wanted to be studying what I am studying. I was a lucky kid, I knew what I wanted to do and I made it happen. :)

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Ten years ago, I would have been nine years old. And back then, I wanted to be a neurologist. Unfortunately, the older I got, the less I wanted to be one. That, and my marks didn't meet the average of 90% or whatever mark it was, since mine were only at 85%. Also, neurology was something that my parents wanted me to be, and not actually my own desire. Picking up computer programming as a hobby during high school also deterred my interest of being a neurologist.

What am I doing now? Well, I'm not going to University as of now, but will be planning to this fall enrolling in computer science. While I'm working away at a construction company as a junior project manager. Did I ever think this how my life would've been ten years ago? Honestly, I wouldn't have never guessed.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • 12 year old George played life by ear and wanted to leave school as soon as possible, and a degree was the last thing on his mind.

22 year old George is glad that his 12 year old self didn't prevail in getting out of school.

I guess my younger self would be a little surprised at what the past ten years have held for me; but he wouldn't be shocked. He'd still be an annoying little ♥♥♥♥. <3 Good times.

...I still play things by ear. I hope my 32 year old self is happy about the way I'm going about things now.

Back