• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Where do I actually start with my ROM

itsnikopiko

Elite Four
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2020
    I've been learning how to ROM hack throughout the last week and a half or so, and I was wondering... how do I start? I haven't actually seen this asked anywhere. I know how to do some basic scripting, mapping, etc, and I feel like I'm ready to start working on my own ROM and learn along the way. So, where do I start? What do I do first?

Any help would be appreciated.

itsnikopiko

Elite Four
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2020
    I've watched all of them in the past week! I'm more-so wondering if I need to delete some of the scripts in the game and start from there. How could I add a new map for example?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    It's better practise to repoint scripts and such than delete them.

My advice would be to have a clear plan before anything.

Like map out what you wanna achieve on paper first.

If say, you want new maps and dialogue, make the maps and scripts separately so that you have a list of assets you want to add and 'plug' them in as you go.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2021
    I would start by creating a good base:

start with instaling the CPFRU and the Dynamic Pokemon Expansion (Im still findying how to do it9

Then create the maps, and the whole world

think of a story

and then script

Back