• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which 2D game maker is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    A list of 2D Game Makers

Here is a list of several different 2D Game Makers for you to check out. They are all worth trying, you should see which one you like best!

1.) RPG Maker XP/VX - Some of you may not know this, but enterbrain recently released a new version of RPG Maker, RPG Maker VX. But that's just it. It's new, it doesn't have any resources or dev kits for it yet. The thing is, RM VX is completely incompatible with RM XP, so anything that worked for XP, will not work for VX. So which would you recommend? The newer, more powerful/flexible VX? Or the older XP, which has more resources and documents? Both feature a point and click interface, and both feature a built in scripting language. Although VX has updated versions from XP. There's another snag. The fact that both versions require you to purchase a $60 license. RPG Maker, is without a doubt, the largest and most expensive 2D game maker there is. But does that make it the best?

URL's: RPG Maker XP - http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng/index.html | RPG Maker VX - http://www.tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/eng/index.html

2.) Sphere - Sphere is a RPG engine, in development since 1997. It allows you even if you don't have much programming experience make a RPG game like Final Fantasy VI or Phantasy Star. Sphere provides a graphics rendering system that supports 32-bit color. Sphere uses SpiderMonkey (Mozilla's JavaScript implementation) for scripting. JavaScript is a very powerful, easy, and flexible language. Sphere also seems to be popular for people making hacks of ROM's.

URL:
    Sphere - http://sphere.sourceforge.net/index.php

3.) Game Maker - Game Maker also boasts a point and click interface and a built in programming language like RPG Maker. However, it does not limit itself to only RPG games, or even 2D games, but it can also make 3D games. Also, unlike RPG Maker, you are not required to make a purchase to fully use it. However, the makers of Game Maker offer a "Professional" edition, that offers more features and better functionality then the "lite" edition. It costs $20, only a third of what RPG Maker does.

URL:
    Game Maker - http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/

4.) 001 Action / RPG Maker - 001 Action / RPG Maker, also known as Map001, is a new program, so it isn't as well known as RPG Maker or Game Maker. Map001 features a point and click interface, however I am unsure if it offers a built in programming language. As you might have guessed, it's main purpose is to create RPG/Action based games, so you can create anything from a final fantasy hack, to a traditional shoot-em-up game. Map001 is free, although it isn't open source as far as I can tell.

URL: 001 Action / RPG Maker - http://www.engine001.com/

5.) Novashell Game Creation System - Novashell, like Map001, specializes in RPG/Action based games, however, it also supports other game platforms, like racing, shooter, etc. It's also built to allow easy sharing of games you make and modding of them. I think it uses a point and click interface. Everything is cut and pastable and can be added or removed, even during play. It is a free program, and it does not feature a built in scripting language, rather, it has something much better. The one thing that defines Novashell from the other game makers here is that it is open source. The source is in C++, and can be downloaded, along with other tools, on the Novashell website. However, working with the open source appears to be tricky, and it will certainly be more difficult to work with then simply using a built in coding language. However, the level of customability is unparalleled, and the results can be very rewarding.

URL: Novashell Game Creation System - http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/

6.) RPG Toolkit - I found another 2D game maker, RPG Toolkit. The RPG Toolkit is free, open source, and has it's own programming language. It uses a point and click interface, and it allows for ultimate customability! RPG Toolkit has the potential to be more powerful and easier to use then any other game maker, so it's definitely worth trying!

URL: RPG Toolkit - http://www.toolkitzone.com/index.php

There. I have shown you all of the 2D game makers that I have deemed worth listing. Try them all, and see which one you like the best. Feedback is greatly appreciated, tell me whether I should add another game engine, change a description, or whatever.

Thanks! :)

~Razer Rage

Last edited:

Tentacruel13

PM me f you want to contact me
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Game Maker! It has so many possibilities you could make any game you want!

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    Really? I have yet to decide which one I like best, I've still got to use these programs more. I think I'll be liking one of the open source ones though, simply because you can customize it any which way. :)

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    That's interesting. I know a bit about RMXP, but not Sphere. :(

But I DO know that if you like RMXP, then you'll LOVE RMVX, it's definitely an upgrade to XP. :)

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    i want to make a 3D game(I cancelled my RMXP Pokemon project and moved to 3D Visual C++ project)
    RMXP games doesnt look professional and not compatible with some systems(mine was crashed on Vista)
    A free engine is better.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I'm going for one that isnt listed.
    And thats RPG Maker 2003.
    Alot of people still prefare this to the other makers in the RPGMAKER series.
    I'm one of them.
    I've made all my projects with it, just like at my latest- Pokemon Proectors to see what you can do with it.
    I've been using it for about 4/5 years now (since the english patched version came out) and when you know what you can and cant do, its one of the best to work with. With more point and click options then both RMXP and RMVX- it helps people who are starting off with it better.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    That is even MORE interesting. I understand about the bit of being used to the older version, but...don't you think it's about time to upgrade?

I mean, does RM2003 even have a scripting language, or anything?

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    rm2k3 dont support scripting language.
    Instead you can make your game just using the FLEXIBLE event command.
    Those command just look simple and fixed.
    But if you really great with it, you can do anything you want include Pokemon Battle System.
    Pokemon Protector was the proof.

Anyway, I would choose RMXP since it dont require much scripting and its more easier to use for beginner to make a RPG.
    Plus Pokemon Essential was a great starter kit for RMXP users.
    So it is possible to make a good Pokemon game in RMXP.
    Pokemon Raptor was the proof. XD ! ( Just kidding )

Rhuan

Sphere scripter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2010
    2.) Sphere - Sphere is a RPG engine, in development since 1997. It allows you even if you don't have much programming experience make a RPG game like Final Fantasy VI or Phantasy Star. Sphere provides a graphics rendering system that supports 32-bit color. Sphere uses SpiderMonkey (Mozilla's JavaScript implementation) for scripting. JavaScript is a very powerful, easy, and flexible language. Sphere also seems to be popular for people making hacks of ROM's.
    Sphere can't be used to hack roms...

The best site for sphere stuff is spheredev.org don't bother with the sourceforge page.

One big advantage of sphere is that as well as Windows it runs on linux and recently Mac OSX as well. (Currently no editor available for Mac)

Sphere does throw you in at the deep end, you're basically presented with an empty text box to start scripting, but if you can get over the shock, most 2d game related ideas are relatively simple too pull off, (if you can make/find the graphics) and you can even do some 3d stuff, there's basically no limit to it's flexibility.

Far and away the best maker in the list, if you don't mind actually having to think about what you're doing.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
    Years
  • Game Maker is the way to go for a really good Pokemon game. It's a really flexible program and it can pretty much do anything. Although a good program, it takes months or more time to learn how to program well enough to make any RPG game. I am actually in progress of making a Pokemon game in Game Maker but the thing I'm concerned about is how big the size will be in the end.

Lordpenguin

Pokémon: Lodestone
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    Seriously, the best way to get exactly what you want in a game is just to code it from scratch. If you can write scripts for RMXP or whatever, you can learn C++, Java, or Python.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    To true that. But the fact is, those can take a very long time compared to a game engine. I would rather use like-c because it's easier to use and it requires less code then C++.

Hmm...some great feedback here, I'll get started on something soon.

HeavyOctillery

Locked & Loaded
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2018
    Huh, I didn't realize that RmXP & RmVX are possibly not worth the money.....maybe that's punishment for other people illegally hacking & distributing Rm2k/3 - which is kinda' their fault because of not releasing it to the rest of the world in the first place; anyone - including me - with Rm2k/3 on their comp is a testament to that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Yeah, but RM2K/3 doesn't have RGSS scripting. RMXP/VX is better (IMO) than 2K/3 just because of that one feature.

D-puff

Wooper Expert
    Years
  • Ive been using game maker for years, so im definetly gonna go with that as my fav. Its complicated for a beginer (lol my friend), but when you know the code (or actions, if you prefer), you can do almost anything with it; even 3d.

Waudby

I'm saying sphere for the simple fact thatI enjoy using it and getting the end result, no one has sat there and made a starter pack for it so everything you make is custom.

It gives you a good sense of achievement when you do it urself.

While I admire poccil for creating his system I do believe the amount of poorly made games has increased due to the starter kit.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I suppose it does feel better to make everything yourself. But it's not called a starter kit for nothing - the games which make no additions to the scripts are (usually) doomed to fail. After writing a short script to save every script to one file, the Essentials kit has 64715 lines of scripts, while Amethyst (at the time of writing) has 70268 lines. That's 5553 lines of scripts I've added, and it doesn't include changes within lines. I did this to show that just because I'm using a starter kit, doesn't mean I can't add my own scripts. But each to their own, I suppose.

Anyway, I've decided that if I make another game after finishing Amethyst, I'm going to script my own battle system etc.

Oh, and poccil, if you read this, I'd just like to say thanks for bothering to write 50000+ lines of custom scripts ( o.O ), and releasing them to the public.

Waudby

That's an impressive amount of scripting in the starter kit, Pokemon Odyssey as of writing this is perhaps about 60 000 lines.

That's without the fully fledged A.I and the weather system pokemon breeding, email system. etc etc.

It's at a basic stage at the moment so I expect to be about doubled when I finish, maybe more.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    Interesting. I suppose it really depends on what you start out with.

I've played around with RMVX and Game Maker, and I like both of them. RM, because it's default graphics are so good, it's very easy to use, and it's scripting language isn't too bad either.

Game Maker I like because scripting with it is so easy, once you get used to it. For those who are new to GM, use the tutorials that the creators include with it. Very easy to understand, I wish RPG Maker had that.

I haven't gotten started on Sphere yet...

I've noticed that no one has opted for the open source game engines, why is that? They all have the potential to be more powerful than RMVX or GM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back