• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Ash was your favorite?

Years
  • Ash has been through many regions by now, and they all brought in new looks (in either the clothing or art style department), as well as a slightly different personality for some regions. Which Ash did you like most? Feel free to judge based on whatever you prefer 👍 Clothes, art style, personality and etc are all valid reasons!

Years
  • I liked Ash when he was in Kalos region. His personality was so much stunning!!!! Also when he did the bond evolution with Greninja it was just like WOW! But there is one more reason 'The Kiss' it almost leaved me shocked when he finally got a kiss from a pokegirl! His team for Kalos region was also better than his team in another regions. I was disappointed when he lost his Final Battle against Alain, but that battle was really fantastic.

pkmin3033

Most definitely Sinnoh Ash. He displayed a surprising level of maturity not seen previously...or after, unfortunately. He actively learned from his mistakes, actually developed a battle style that didn't involve just picking the bad type matchup and winning because plot armour, wasn't afraid to try new things, incorporated elements of Dawn's style into his own, and actually worked with her to develop her style, too. He's never had that kind of rapport with his travelling companions before or since; he generally prefers to do his own thing and let them do theirs, so seeing him getting actively involved and sharing his experience, and being willing to learn himself, was wonderfully refreshing, and it actually made him something he hadn't been for a long time: likeable.

Yes, I know Ash took part in a contest in Hoenn, but it was literally just so he could have a battle with May in the final...Ash, who had no prior contest experience, got to the final. And managed to draw with someone who had been doing contests for the entire show. Compare this to his Sinnoh Contest, where he entered with Buizel in an effort to better understand its strengths, and got knocked out fairly early on. It was a much more natural, better-written scenario.

He also had the best foil he's ever had in Paul. There was real enmity between Ash and Paul, and it highlighted Ash's character strengths and weaknesses and, more importantly, pushed him to overcome the latter. None of Ash's other rivals have ever really done that for him; they're generally rivals because they're trying to achieve the same goals. Paul was Ash's polar opposite in every way, and initially he was the better trainer too, because Ash's emotional immaturity led to him repeatedly losing. So his league battle against Paul, winning with a Pokemon Paul himself had previously discarded as useless, was one of the best and most meaningful victories he's ever had.

Even though he has finished higher in leagues, I would even go so far as to say he was the most successful Ash to date. Tobias was put deliberately in his path to make him lose, but Ash took out his Darkrai AND his Latios after that. TWO Legendaries. That was far and away his most powerful rival and, whilst he didn't beat him, just taking out that Darkrai was a monumental achievement for him, never mind taking out another Legendary after that. I think we all know that the only reason Ash lost to Alain is because of bad writing, and the only reason he won Alola is because he didn't have any serious competition, and his team was ridiculously overpowered. Ash didn't have a singular powerhouse in his Sinnoh lineup, which made his battles more enjoyable and his victories much more satisfying.

As a general note, I think aesthetically he looks more mature as well, with Kalos Ash being a close second. Unova Ash looked like he dropped three years or so.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2021
    Ash has been through many regions by now, and they all brought in new looks (in either the clothing or art style department), as well as a slightly different personality for some regions. Which Ash did you like most? Feel free to judge based on whatever you prefer 👍 Clothes, art style, personality and etc are all valid reasons!

Kalos Ash

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • As much as I absolutely love XY, I am going to have to go with Hoenn. I love how he was with May and Max. It was kinda the first saga where he was more of a mentor, but I loved his outfit. It was the first time he had changed and for me, it matched perfectly with Hoenn.

XY it was more of a basic outfit. And actual now that I think about it, Ash's outfit for Kalos was actually a recall to May's outfit, of a different color. The style was almost exactly the same.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Hmm🤔 i was againts posting in this topic as i hate Ash, but i go with Sinnoh Ash, the way he adopted that ruthless jerk paul's Chimchar was so nice of him (despite that he still doesn't nicknames his dear pokemon), and Turwig and Gible biting his head was funny

Also him as an Oni in loincloth was the best outfit of him ever in the show

Royxee

Eating Poképuffs on the Edge of Cerulean City
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2020
    the classic indigo league ash

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Sinnoh Ash hands down. Up until Sinnoh I feel like they were a bit lost with Ash's character, during Johto he had a small amount of growth since the Indigo league and in Hoenn he just came across as entitled and really annoying. But in Sinnoh they really pushed for his character to be a bit more... heartfelt with his Pokemon, and that definitely came from Paul being his rival, Paul being there allowed the writers to use him a device to heighten Ash's abilities as a trainer. He became a more "out of the box" trainer and to think on his feet a lot more.

His team was pretty much entirely developed and he was at his strongest, most will argue that his XY team was stronger than his Sinnoh one. (They're sorta right, special Ash-Greninja is leagues ahead of abandoned Chimchar) But in XY I feel like they dumbed him down a lot to fit in with how X & Y were now also going to be aimed at a younger audience and that the games were progressively easier.

Also he was definitely more open to adapting to different styles, and this was because of Dawn, even though Hoenn featured contests, he was barely involved in May's training, but Dawn was just as energetic and creative as Ash was, so they built each other's confidence and skills up.

XY is probably my second and then they're all placing for third place after that.

Days
  • Journeys Ash's perosnality is the best. Arguably an equal blend of every written characterization directors have given the boy. He is literally the most competent and experienced we've seen yet, culminating in his formal acceptance on not only what a Pokémon Master truly is, but his inauguration as world champion.

Back