• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which did you choose?

Which did you Choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Which did you choose to play did you prefer diamond? With dialga a powerful dragon and steel type? Or did you like pearl with palkia a water and dragon with only kingdra to share the spotlight in its typing? Or did you skip the 2 and move on to platinum were you have a more detailed storyline with not just 1 pokemon but all 3. Did certain version exclusives hold you to a certain game? Which storyline did you feel was best? I just gotta know cause sinnoh was my second region when i started playing and my first was diamond b/c of actually stupid reasons thats the one my friend chose and i knew nuthing really. So what is everyone elses thoughts?

pkmin3033

I bought Diamond, mum bought Pearl, then I bought Platinum when it came out. There wasn't anything specific about the first game, it just worked out that way. Platinum I bought without hesitation because I really enjoyed my trek through Sinnoh the first time around and I found Giratina more interesting than Dialga or Palkia, so a game using it as the mascot sounded right up my alley...that, plus I've bought every Pokemon mothership title that's been released since Red and Blue...and most of the spinoffs too. xD

Dedenne1

Years
    I bought Diamond, mum bought Pearl, then I bought Platinum when it came out. There wasn't anything specific about the first game, it just worked out that way. Platinum I bought without hesitation because I really enjoyed my trek through Sinnoh the first time around and I found Giratina more interesting than Dialga or Palkia, so a game using it as the mascot sounded right up my alley...that, plus I've bought every Pokemon mothership title that's been released since Red and Blue...and most of the spinoffs too. xD

Haha cool i myself own every pokemon game alive haha yes platinum intrigued me souly b/c i dont like it wen theres 2 storylines that differ i rather have 1 main awesome story with maybe 2 feuding sides dialga palkia haha. Theres also the arceus affect of coarse which sets sinnoh aside from other regions.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    When Gen 4 was first getting started, I went with Pearl. Which one I go with usually depends on which mascot legendary I like better, and not so much version exclusives since the version exclusives never seem to be stuff I really like anyway. I like Palkia better than Dialga, despite the jokes made about Palkia's head looking like a dong. Dialga's got a cool typing and all, but I don't like the way it looks or it's cry (was hoping that they'd fix it in X/Y, but nope). Spacial Rend > Roar of Time. Also my sisters both got Diamond, so yeah.

Then later my sister got Platinum and then sorta gave it to me. Played through that twice, and I'd say it's definitely the best of the 3 Sinnoh games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I bought all of them just to completed my Gen 4 collection. Along with HG/SS. I fist had Pokemon Diamond cause Dialga. I was gifted with Pokemon Pearl by my boyfriend on White Day. Then I bought Platinum myself, which is my favorite Pokemon game of all time. Giratina is the most interesting of the Sinnoh Legendaries also leading to him being one of my most favorite Legendaries.

Dedenne1

Years
    Hmm Zekrom quite different although ur sisters got diamond almost everyone ik got diamond first haha. Anyways i do agree platinum is probably the best 4th gen game made and i look forward to the remakes.also the majority got all the games interesting i wonder if its onky cause the wanted all of them or they onoy wanted them for collection. Like i said i played platinum for the different storyline as for diamond and pearl i played diamond as a guy and pearl as a girl kinda thought it fit lol.

Also i agree ghost and dragon is quite the combination giratina was always one of my favorites and its origin form is really cool too!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    At first, I went with Diamond. Dialga really interested me, and I really wanted to get a hold of it before any other fourth-generation legendary at the time, which could help explain my decision.

Next, I've gotten Pearl. I've given the cartridge away to my cousin eventually, however, as she lost her Diamond version, somehow, and we really wanted to play against ourselves whenever we visited each other's place.

Couple of years later, Platinum was announced, and its television commercial seemed to be pretty intriguing, which instantly persuaded me into deciding to buy. Am glad I did, because I enjoyed it a ton!

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I was late to the D/P/P party being late to the series in general. So I went with Platinum for no other reason - it was the latest game and apparently better than D/P. Played it and loved it the whole way. :) Later on I went back to play Diamond but didn't find it the same so I can't say I've completed that. Never touched Pearl though.

Years
    Platinum! :D

I like to play the third installation cos, as most people talking about D/P on internet say, it is improved and there are less bugs.

I am however going to play either Diamond or Pearl one day to perform the tweaking glitch and get myself some nice Darkrai and Shaymin ^^

Dedenne1

Years
    Wow large majority platinum. And Sven i agree for me they have a focused storyline and usually both legends haha. Cough* emerald Cough* Z lol

Years
    I ended up getting my copy way after all three were released, and after doing some research, I chose to go solely with Diamond :) The main reason was to do with exclusives, and two of the Pokémon that I really wanted on my team (Honchkrow and Skuntank) could only be found in Diamond so that coupled with the fact Dialga was my favourite mascot and my general love for diamonds lol, it ended up being a no-brainer haha :)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I chose Diamond because Dialga looked cooler, but I realized later that Palkia was better so I ended up getting 22 Palkias via trading to make up for my blunder and then I never used any of them. I never really liked D/P/Pt so after playing Diamond I just didn't buy any of the others because I thought it'd be a waste whereas I did buy all of the versions in the past gens.

Years
    I have played all three versions, but if I were to stick with just one I'll likely go with Platinum because it was superior to the other two despite Dialga being my fave of the mascots. At least all three mascots can be caught in Platinum anyway so not all bad.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I have all three, but I started with Diamond. I'm pretty sure I didn't look much into this region before hand and I just thought Dialga was more interesting being based on time and looked better. In the end though I actually ended up preferring Pearl. I thought Pearl had better version exclusives and Palkia was a lot more interesting/cooler to me. But overall Platinum ended up being superior since I thought the first two games had a lot of flaws that were hard to over look.

Years
    I have all three games, but Pearl was my main one as I much prefer Palkia over its Steel counterpart. But I do much prefer Platinum to either one as it takes out the biggest issues with DP. Although Pearl has the longest recorded save on any of my Pokémon games, so I can't completely toss it.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    I currently have only Diamond , havent tried any other version, cause i have heard all three have same story, just legendary pokemon change.

KamikazeSSoH

Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi
    Years
    I Played Pearl first. and then i bought the other 2 versions this year. But Generation 4 is one of my favorite. and every time i picked the same starter.

Dedenne1

Years
    I prefer diamond over pearl because it was my first one but i like platinum better than diamond because of the better story.
    Diamond and pearl are basically the same beside version exclusive pokemon but platinum Does NOT have the same storyline plus has many minor changes.
    More balanced trainer teams.
    More pokemon available.
    The reverse world.
    All 3 legends available.
    Greater post game storyline
    Legendaries available in the post game that are not in daikon and pearl.
    You learn more about team galatic in platinum.

Back