• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Genres of Games are you Best at?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • As the title suggests, are there genres of games (ie. racing, first person shooter, fighting, puzzle, etc.) are you especially good at? As a result, what sorts of video games are you good at that fits in those genres?

For example, I find myself more best at turn-based RPG games like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc. I'm also pretty good at games that incorporate a bit of puzzle solving like the Legend of Zelda series games.

By the way, if you're wondering about all of the genres, you can take a look at the list of the genres of video games here.

Yukari

Platformers and RPGs are probably the ones I'm best at. I'm really good with any kind of RPG but particularly turn based ones. And I'm really good at platformers, mainly 2D because those are the ones I played most when I was getting into video games.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I'm good at and I like just about everything except for most first person shooters and fighting games like Tekken/Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter etc.

I can't play on any difficulty higher than the easiest difficulty on those types of games. I've tried, I broke my controller and almost broke the disc so I wouldn't be tempted to play it again because when I played it all I accomplished was getting way too angry. Put me in front of just about any other game and I'll be great, no problems at all.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Dating sims.

RPGs for sure because they are in the majority of games I play, but I'm pretty adapt at rhythm games.

On the other hand, I suck at fighters... especially at those that require 2 quarter circle combos. I can't do them at all.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I actually don't know, funny as it sounds. I'm pretty good at 2D platformers and I've beaten difficult ones like Super Meat Boy, Cave Story and trolly freeware games like I Wanna Be The Guy/Boshy, but it's not so much that I blitz through them and find them really easy, but I beat them through sheer force of will. So I don't know if I'd say I'm that good at them, it's more that I enjoy them so will work really hard to conquer them.

The actual answer for me is probably puzzle games. I recently beat Pokemon Shuffle without spending a cent or using any items apart from Great Balls (well I guess I technically haven't as I didn't get Mega Lucario or Kyogre, so I beat every stage available to me at the time). Like I'm not super brilliant at puzzle games, particularly when you're talking about World Records and the sort, but I'm pretty darn good at Tetris, Dr. Mario, Wario's Woods, basically any puzzle game the relies more on quick decision making. I have a friend that used to specifically invite me over to beat the puzzle sections on the game Catherine when he got stuck which I still find pretty funny. I almost ruined the game for him too as I wouldn't give the controller back to him afterwards and answered the questions that lead to the chaos ending rather than the true ending.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • I almost exclusively play RPGs because it's my favourite genre, but I am terrible at them. I hate grinding and I'm impatient. But they still entice me somehow.
    I'm probably most good at puzzle games and rhythm games.

pkmin3033

RPGs, of any and every variety, are my thing. I love grinding, and I pick up battle systems extremely quickly...unless they're obscure anyway, like Resonance of Fate, which requires a little more practice. I'm passably good at Action/Adventure games, and Theatrhythm has given me a taste for rhythm games...I still can't do any FFVIII BMS on Ultimate Score, though. That's a whole new level of batshit crazy. The only RPG that's ever gotten the better of me is Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, and that's because platinuming it is impossible. The game itself isn't hard, even on Chaos, but those battle trophies? Forget it. xD

I hate puzzle, fighting, sports and racing titles, because I've never been any good at any of them, barring an exception here and there. My idea of strategy in FPS is to find the most out of the way spot and snipe everyone to death, so I expect most people would say I was crap at those as well...but I'm a good shot. Ahahaha.

Years
  • Mostly RPG's and RTS's.

I am also ok at racing games and some first ferson shooters (ones where you kill the enemy before they see you, not the call of duty fire random pot shots at each other type).

[FONT=&quot]I am also good at football games like FIFA and ultimate soccer mangier even though I don't really like football =p. [/FONT]

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Racing and RPGS.

I grew up mostly playing these types of games, particularly racing. I have tried other genres such as Adventure, Action, Fighting etc. but ultimately I'd say Racing is my strong suit.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    I think I'm okay at platformers, but I'm probably meh compared to other people (still haven't beaten the Dark World stages in Super Meat Boy even though I've had it for years now). I love TRPGs (SRPGs?) like Disgaea and FFTA, but I usually follow guides for builds... Oh, Bullet Hells are probably-- Nah, that's not it.

...Maybe I'm good at Tetris?

Wow, I'm bad at video games. :(

...unless they're obscure anyway, like Resonance of Fate, which requires a little more practice.

It's been months since I first started that game up and I still don't understand that battle system. It's like you'd have to study trigonometry or something. It's crazy!
    Granted, I did try playing it at 3 AM after a long bus ride.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • RPGs and fighting games.

These are the two genres I've played the most during my whole gaming life (?). I wouldn't boast that I'm great at RPGs since I sort of just abuse any exploitable mechanic in the game, when given the chance. I'd like to say that I'm absolutely fond in learning the kinks and quirks of a battle system for an RPG though. I wouldn't pride myself in being a good fighting game player, but I've been playing fighting games since SFII , so I more or less adapt to most fighting games rather quickly than most people (with the exception of Arcana Heart 3. holy shit is that game floaty as fuck, took me a good week just to get use to that weird auto-tracking air dash pursuit thing).

Absolutely terrible at puzzle games and rhythm games though. I've never invested too much time into puzzle games with the exception of Tetris DS, Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, and Puyo Pop Fever, which even then I was still awful at. Rhythm games is a weird case for me, since I don't have any problem with timing and I'd like to think that I'm somewhat decent with the piano. So naturally I shouldn't be awful at rhythm games, but I am.

On the other hand, I suck at fighters... especially at those that require 2 quarter circle combos. I can't do them at all.
    Just keep working at it! It's all about getting use to the speed and motions.

pkmin3033

It's been months since I first started that game up and I still don't understand that battle system. It's like you'd have to study trigonometry or something. It's crazy!
    Granted, I did try playing it at 3 AM after a long bus ride.
    It's not too bad once you get used it; the hardest thing is learning how to effectively customize your weapons, because levels mean practically nothing in that game. Critical Condition is practically a death sentence regardless though.
    ...although I've platinumed it and I still don't really know Tri Attacks work. Bonus Shots were always a hit or miss (haha) thing with me as well. It's very similar to Valkyrie Profile 2's battle system in many ways, but it still took me months to pick it up.

Oh, one genre of RPGs I'm awful at: sandbox. I just don't have the patience for it. I like knowing where I'm going and what I'm doing, and if I'm doing whatever I want, I want to destroy the entire planet...which I obviously can't do at the start of a game like Skyrim. I get bored. xD

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm best at racing and strategy games. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not the strategy is real time, or turn based, I'm still decent. Granted, I'll need time to learn, but I'll get there eventually.

The games I get into the most, however, would be RPGs, since they often times have the best characters, and we all know how much I love my characters.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Shooters, I guess.

I love me a good bullet hell shooter, and the occasional first person shooter. I'm quite good at both, as I've spent a fair bit of time with both genres, whether it's the team-oriented play styles of the Battlefield franchise, or the intense, frenzied shooting gallery of those in the Touhou lineup.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I would say I'm best at RPGS--specifically those with exploitable features :p I also recently found out that I'm pretty decent at fighting games! Mind you, decent enough to defeat my friends who were about at the same skill level but probably not decent enough to defeat anyone above my skill level, haha. I'm a decent moba player as well but I haven't been playing much of them lately :(

I'm also pretty good at FPS games but my interest in them has dwindled. Still, I want to try Overwatch since that looks pretty cool!

Years
  • RPGs and platformers are probably the ones I'm best at, or think I am anyway. I've always been decent at RPGs, especially the more turn-based ones (gives me time to think of what to do) - they're usually pretty much slow enough that I have no problems with the mechanics whatsoever, and I love getting into the storyline of the game. Platformers I usually have enough reaction time and awareness that I feel like I'm pretty good at them. Usually. Sometimes I do wonder, though.

Years
  • Simulation and turn-based strategy are my best genres by a country mile. Turn-based RPGs, too. I grew up on these. I also grew up on RTS games, but I'm not as good with those since I didn't play them as often as others.

I'm pretty alright at various forms of Tetris, too, depending on the day and time of day.

Years
  • I like to think I'm pretty good at RPGs and related genres, such as action-RPGs, strategy-RPGs, etc. I'm pretty competent with both JRPGs such as Final Fantasy, and Western RPGs such as the Elder Scrolls games.

I'm also pretty good at most platformers. Platformers were the predominant genre throughout my childhood, so I have a soft spot for them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    i believe i'm not too bad at puzzle games, or games that contain puzzles. you know, like professor layton? and i really enjoyed solving the puzzles in 999 and paper mario.

as for genres i'm not particularly good at, i don't consider myself skilled at fighting games, but i do enjoy playing them for fun.

Back