• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which IRL place do you think will inspire the Gen 10 region?

Years
  • I'm personally feeling China; those 4 legendaries in Gen 9 were clearly inspired from Chinese mythology and it's been like 17 years since the last Asian based region in a mainline game. Mainland China is also a growing market for the franchise iirc.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • If we ever get another North America inspired region like Unova, I'd expect to see the Pacific Northwest, especially the area around Washington State. The geography would be great for a Pokemon region, since there's a mountain range with glaciers, several big water areas like Puget Sound, a couple volcanoes, forests in the west, deserts in the east, etc..

It's been a long time since we've seen the Americas, and I'm personally not expecting China next gen. Game Freak would've saved the Treasures of Ruin for Gen 10 if they were planning a China region.

If they do pick a third straight European country, though, I'd expect to see Germany next, or possibly Italy.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Guesses Australia. Views that country pretty favorably in Japan (second only to the United States, according to a 2018 survey). Surrounds the whole region in water naturally, removing artificial walls. Leaves places like New Zealand and Indonesia open for DLC.

Years
  • I would like an Australia region, I think that would be an interesting place, australia has many different landscapes and different creatures!

Yeah, Australia certainly has enough wildlife to create plenty of Pokemon and the landscape would make for an interesting region. Perhaps you could start in in the southeast; go to Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra for the first 3 badges. Then have the rest spread over the Outback while Perth is where the E4 is. You could also make a cool wild west story out of it where the first part is developed and has more mellow Pokemon and the Outback part is wild and untamed; with fewer and smaller towns/people and more dangerous Pokemon. There could also be a subplot about the natives of the region coming into conflict with the settlers; but that's admittedly pushing it for a Pokemon story.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    so my uncle who totally works for Nintendo tells me that the next region is going to be based off of Antarctica

It will be a huge, open, barren white space with almost nothing in it besides the occasional penguin Pokemon, and the only "town" will be the small research base you start at. He says that at this point they feel comfortable with the idea of putting out an official Pokemon game with nothing in it, given how incredibly well the series sells despite years of corner-cutting.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Hopefully Japan or another Asian country, we're long overdue for another Asian region imo. And what better opportunity than the big 10 generation? There's still a few Japanese prefectures that haven't been regionified yet.

Years
  • I'm not sure where, but to be honest, I hope they don't lean so very hard into the inspiration of the next region. It feels like Kalos was really the first region they really highlighted that the games were based on somewhere other than Japan (gen 5 is an exception, they barely acknowledged it being based on New York). And ever since XY, they've practically beat us over the head with "Look! Hawaii! The UK! SPAIN!" with increasing intensity each gen.

Personally, I've always liked Pokemon BECAUSE of the Japanese/Asian aesthetic, as much as that might make me a basic weeb. The harder they lean into the regional setting, the more separated the in-game universe seems to become from what came before. Z-moves are heavily drawn from Hawaiian dancing; Dynamax and Terastallization can't be done outside their native regions.

And despite this over-commitment, the DLC areas for Scarlet/Violet had nothing to do with Spain and were easily more fun than the base game. And the legendary quartet, of the Spanish-based region, couldn't have been more Chinese in origin.

I guess what I'm saying is, I wish they'd stop worrying about correlating the games to real-world locations and cultures, and just… make the regions entirely original. Draw from the real-world, sure, but stop locking entire generations in to specific settings.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Since Kitakami was a Japan region I do not want another Japan region. I'd rather we go to a continent we haven't explored yet in terms of real world stuff like South America, Australia, Africa and whatnot. Would be interesting. I don't think we'll ever get a Chinese region, but it'd be cool, I guess, if they did. I don't really care where it'll be so as long as it's not Japanse based again unless it's like a hard reboot of the entire franchise or something... idk.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Regions I'd love to see: Canada, Scandinavia, Greece, Egypt, another US region (since Unova encompasses only a city wide area of the US, there's so much more that could be explored).

Where do I think they will actually go? I have no clue. I don't figure it will be any of the regions above, but we'll see.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I do think it'd be neat to see some kind of Asian-inspired region again. I really liked the vibes Kitakami had but felt it was kind of underwhelming as a region itself. If it had to be Japanese, I'd like to see something with based off Okinawa with multiple separate pieces of land to travel between like how Alola was. The Johto-inspired parts of Alola were really interesting to me, places like Malie or Konikoni, so I'd love to see an entire region with traditional-style buildings and bright beaches, I think that'd be what I'd want most. It'd definitely be visually distinct from the more "big city" type regions like Kanto or Sinnoh, with enough room for them to make the cities distinct from Alola. If it's not Japanese, I think the idea of being a large island in the sea could be neat and we could have something based off something like the Phillipines or Indonesia or Singapore? Korea would be interesting as well.

As a Canadian I'd love to see my country as a region but I honestly think Sinnoh is weirdly fitting for Canada, even if it's based on Hokkaido. Several lakes, a port city with several islands in the west, lots of snow up north, and a big mountain range? It's always felt Canadian to me. Regardless of where it takes place I'd like to see more distinction between different parts of the region, like the differences between Western and Eastern Sinnoh, or the way the Pokedex was divided into sections in Kalos or Alola. I loved that.

While I think there's a lot they could still do with Europe, I'd like the next generation to take place on a different continent just to share some love.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Wherever it is, I really hope they actually make the signage and the sort in the inspired reigon's langauge. Stuff like PC and MART and similar can remain English/set langage but I wanna see the random signage in whatever language the reigon is based off of is. Ie. Japanese for Jhoto, English for Unova, French for Kalos, etc. Having everywhere in Pokemon use a unified made up language is cool, but I really think that having them be different would really help make it feel like a different place than just generic Pokemon reigon. Might also help people get interested in learning about other cultures, and at least be a fun little way to hide easter eggs lol.

That being said. I'd really like a Canadian or Scandanavian reigon. Can't really justify why other than I like colder climates. I just think it'd be neat :)

Zorua the cute

Flareon, Zorua, and Shinx are the best!
    Days
  • No idea but I could see some sort of asia inspired region. I personally would love to see some south east asia inspired region. Though I wont lie, I would love to see them do a Korea inspired region. I think it could be really cool. Just thinking about it, with all the interesting animals that live there that could be pokemon. Like the Sahyangnolu(Siberian musk deer) and Ikkidolongnyong aka Korean Crevice Salamander lol. With as well as cool cities to base the region around like Busan

Though I highly doubt they would do Korea. Anyways, something in asia would be cool

Years
  • As mentioned, I have a feeling for China as well. Not only the four legendaries in the game, but even the Area 0 theme sort of recalls China. Also, it would probably be another good area for a probably not good open world game.

Back