• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Which protagonist will you choose, and what will you name them?

Years
  • Which protagonist will you choose, and what will you name them?
    Which protagonist will you choose, and what will you name them?

Have you decided which protagonist you'll choose and what you'll name them? Will you go for a silly name, reference a character, use your own name or nickname, or something else? Discuss!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i like both designs, but i like the boy's more. these are the best looking protags we've had since gen V imo. i'll probably name my dude al. and since i usually end up with both games, i'll be the girl in the other and i'm very creative so her name will be alli.

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
    Years
  • Ahh I always pick the female character myself, and as for the name... I'm not sure yet.

I usually go with Alice in reference to the character Alice Margatroid, but this time around I might go with something a bit closer to my actual username, like Marga. :)

Whim

king of weirdtropolis
    Years
  • I loved the boy design, seriously. I like to use my personal name (Davi) in my first playthrough and then I restart and give a less personal one to make it more easy to communicate without exposing too much, like Whim/Vanille depending if I like the boy customization or not.

Last edited:

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I'm defs picking the male character. The clothes fit the game.

The females doesn't. It's meant to be a chilly and colder region...so that justifies a skirt?

Years
  • 100% picking the female protag

likely naming her Angel/Angelica (one of the two) as I have for most of my protag characters in past pokemon games

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Female protag's design is so freaking cute..!! Definitely going with her. :')

I'll probably name her something cute, like Eclair or Doux. n_n;

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I'm going with male protagonist, and I've been considering on giving thematic names related to Sword and Shield, or attack and defense like that sort of thing. Like Geki (from Kougeki, which means attack in Japanese) or Ken (sword in Japanese), for instance.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Male protag, as usual. I tend to go with silly names, e.g. Ultra Man (for Ultra Moon), Trainer, etc. Probably something that can fit the game's region or names.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Probably Male in Shield, and female in Sword. I usually play as both protagonists in paired games. I will name both of them Pala, since that is the name I go by in all games.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • male for sword then female for shield, that's the way i usually go about it. as for names, i'll probably just go random from some of my favourite names.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Female, but I love the male character's design slightly more. I'm not a fan of the hairstyle or the hat that the female protagonist is wearing, but as long as we have character customization, all should be well. I think I may name her Juliette, Cordelia, or something classic and feminine.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'll probably play as the guy, and he usually ends up as Drew or Sho because.. my nicknames. lol

Usually I play as the girl in replays though, especially now that we can customize!

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2019
    Sameee, I'd pick the girl too and use my own name. I've always done it that way

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Male protag, as usual. I tend to go with silly names, e.g. Ultra Man (for Ultra Moon), Trainer, etc. Probably something that can fit the game's region or names.

name yourself attacc or protecc depending on your version

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Probably male with my own name as usual. Though if the customization is good, I'll most likely go female. As for her name, probably Moira because of the scottish trainer memes.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I pretty much always go with the female trainer on my first playthrough, and I really like Galar-Girl's design, so I'll probably do the same this time around. I'm a little tempted to pick the male character, though, because...I like to imagine my character with her own personality, and I feel like the female character already comes with one, LOL.

If she has a default name, I'm going to use that; if not, I don't know. (I named my Moon/Ultra Moon character ''Luna'' because there wasn't an official name at the time I played - can I think of something that intuitive for Sword/Shield??)

Last edited:
    Back