• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starters did you pick?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I chose Chimchar first in Diamond and Cyndaquil in SoulSilver. Since then, I've used all three of the starters. I tend to pick Cyndaquil most of the time when I replay HGSS, but when I replay Platinum (I ain't replaying DP, nope nope), I usually go for Piplup. I'm not a huge fan of the gen IV starters, but I love Empoleon. I don't really know why. It's just...a metal...penguin...and...that's pretty cool. So. I want him. Great reason, Syd.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
  • In Platinum (My first game, which I received for my 9th birthday) I chose Turtwig who became an over leveled Torterra that OHKOed the entirety of the game with EQ. For SoulSilver I chose Totodile.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2017
    In Diamond and Platinum I always picked Piplup. I loved that little penguin ever since I saw him. I never evolved him also, that's how awesome Piplup is.

Tek

Years
  • I picked the penguin, too. Piplup is the only Sinnoh starter I like. I evolved him because I wanted him to know Metal Claw, but I always wonder if I made the right choice...

I like all the Johto starters. In HG I chose Chikorita. It's probably my least favorite, but it has great support capacity with Light Screen/Reflect/____powder. In SS I'm getting a Totodile to be an HM buddy.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • Turtwig in Diamond, Chimchar in Pearl, and Piplup in Platinum. Chikorita in HeartGold and Cyndaquil in SoulSilver.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    Chimchar and when i got an Infernape it would have Close Combat :D

Years
  • Never played Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum but I picked Cyndaquil in SoulSilver. I always tended to pick the Water type as my starter for some reason, so I chose the Fire type for a change when I started playing on the DS.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    DP: Chimchar
    HGSS: Totodile (didn't use him much)

The gen 2 starters could have been much better, and I didn't really like the 4th gen ones, except for Chimchar.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I skipped out on D/P, but when Platinum came out, I chose Turtwig. The thing is, I'd been picking fire types pretty consistently since G1, but I honestly hated the Chimchar line's design and general overratedness (everyone I knew picked him) so I decided to pick the coolest-looking one and named him Koopa. He turned out to be really helpful aside from the fact that everything in Sinnoh runs Ice Fang, but it did leave me without a fire-type during my initial run-through.

As for HG, I picked Typhlosion for old times sake because I wanted to recreate my original Gold team. Again, I was the odd one out here considering everyone and their mother picks Totodile.

Years
  • I chose Chimchar when first playing Pokemon Diamond. I had seen the three starters in a CoroCoro long before the games' release, and had made up my mind already. However, since then I've used Turtwig more times than the fire monkey. Torterra is a heavily underrated design and powerhouse. STAB Earthquake is priceless in Pokemon! :]

As for HGSS, went with fire again. Cyndaquil has always been my favorite Johto starter, but not by much. Actually, one of the main deciding factors when I play SoulSilver is how much I love Quilava, haha. Silver being my first ever Pokemon game, Quilava was my original favorite Pokemon. I've used the other two, but never completed it with Chikorita, which needs to change!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I picked Piplup in Diamond and Platinum, Turtwig in Pearl, Totodile in HeartGold, and Cyndaquil in SoulSilver. I picked Piplup in Diamond because I always start my main game with the water starter, and I picked it in Platinum because I liked it a lot in Diamond and wasn't that fond of Chimchar (don't like monkeys too much, though it's grown on me with time). I went with Turtwig in Pearl because I thought it was cute, liked turtles, and liked the idea of a grass/ground starter. In HG, I chose Totodile because that's what I used in my original Gold, plus, as mentioned before, I generally start my "main" game of any set of games with a water starter. I went with Cyndaquil in SS because I've always liked Cyndaquil and because I used it when I first played Silver (a while after I got Gold).

I've never really used Chikorita. I've always thought I should try it as a starter, but I guess I just like Totodile and Cyndaquil too much. It's kind of like how I always choose Squirtle when given a choice of the Kanto starters because I like Blastoise so much (though I've incorporated the other starters into teams later by trading).

Hy-Perior

Beginer ROM Hacker
    Years
  • In D/P/PT I picked Piplup because of Empoleon <3

In HG/SS I picked Totodile because its design, I learned it was a good choice seeing Feraligatr and its movesets!

Years
  • Piplup in Platinum so the Empoleon Steel can ease the Giratina encounter.
    Cyndaquil/Totodile in HGSS.

Never liked Meganium.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I think originally, in Pearl, I chose Piplup. I thought it was pretty cute.
    But as the anime tends to do for me, I got irritated with Piplup because of it's anime adaption.

So in Platinum version I went with Chimchar, who quickly became my favorite of the starters and of most of the Gen. And this one was actually granted by Chimchar's anime adaption being so adorable.

Talk about a turn around!

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • First time I played Platinum, i chose Piplup. Now, I choose anything except it lol
    First time in HeartGold I chose Chikorita. :| Regretted it
    First time in SoulSilver I chose Totodile, and it was alright.
    I usually choose Totodile or Cyndaquil now

Back