• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which storyline was better?

Which storyline was better?

• B2/W2

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • B/W

Votes: 25 64.1%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Idk for me B/W 2 is what redeemed this region just a hair. I thought the rival was better, Colress was way more interesting than N imo, Roxie was a cooler addition to the gym leaders not to mention I was so happy to say goodbye to Cress/Cilan/Chili. I agree with the member above the story was darker and not as cheesy as I thought the first one was.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I'm surprised to see a lot of praise for B&W2's story considering that's what many call the weak point for the game.

I like B&W's story but B&W2's story was just so much cooler. Getting to see all the old NPCs grow up, seeing the new changes, seeing Neo Team Plasma with their sick new themes. I also really liked that airship ice beam cutscene in Opelucid City. Getting to travel through new areas and even new area in old areas to locate the villains was pretty neat. Getting to battle Ghetsis again and reunite with N after wondering what happened to him in the last game. I may be rambling but there's a lot of cool moments that make me prefer the sequels' story.

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
    Years
    I can't really choose between the two, for me it felt like the same game with a few new areas.
    I had many more hours on B/W then B2/W2, but that was the era of when I started to play a bit more competitively.

But if I had to choose one if wouldn't be for the storyline, but I'd choose Black 2 because of the older gen Pokemon.

Years
    I found Black/White 2 to have more of a hold on me than White/Black did. I found myself a bit more interested in the game and characters, whereas with White/Black I didn't really care much lol. I liked the idea of having the sequels set 2 years after the originals, and seeing how much Unova has changed with new leaders and cities/towns. Seeing Bianca and Cheren grow up was especially cool.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    B/W I think, because B/W2 seemed rushed and fairly unfinished and did not add very much.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    Not gonna lie, I really adored B2W2's story... However, the only main series Pokémon game that ever had me on the edge of my seat was BW.

BW had a large, fleshed out cast, and the characters were very well planned out (and of course, they had good character development as well). In addition, the plot of BW had a greater sense of progression, and it was very climatic when things were rough, while being deeply emotional when the times were low.

As for B2W2, the plot was DEFINITELY better than your average Pokémon game, but it reverted back to having a relatively simple plot. Despite the fact that I adored B2W2's story, there actually WAS one problem I had with it -- Purrloin. To be honest, I think it was too ridiculously convenient (not to mention wayyy too unrealistic for an already unrealistic game) that the Shadow Triad happened to be in possession of the exact same Purrloin/Liepard that they stole from Hugh's sister, despite the fact that Liepard is an incredibly generic Pokémon that plenty of Team Plasma members use.

Years
    Black 2/White 2's storyline was too predictable for me so my vote goes to Black/White.
    Unlike in Black 2/White 2, I was always surprised by most events in Black/White.
    Black 2/White 2 are still the better games doe.

Guest123123

The originals. I felt like there was more emotional investment in BW. I still enjoyed B2W2's story, but there weren't really any emotional scenes like in BW. BW also had a lot of character development, whereas I don't remember much development from anyone in B2W2.

I will say that B2W2 made more sense sometimes in that the Shadow Triad and Zinzolin actually battle you. In BW, the Sages felt like they were just kind of there until the epic Gym Leader scene. Some of them had opportunities to (attempt to) stop you, but they just let you pass. The one in Dragonspiral Tower sent his grunts at you, and I was fully expecting him to battle me himself after his grunts failed. But he didn't and I was like "Wait, what? You're just going to let me by?" Same for the one in the Relic Castle, minus the grunts.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    To be real honest they are great on their own, shouldn't be compared as they compliment each other's plot. Overall, the whole Gen V has the best story as they are well constructed and connected. Not to mention, they improved a lot from RS, Em, Pt and HGSS.

Last edited:
    Years
    To be real honest they are great on their own, should be compared as they compliment each other's plot. Overall, the whole Gen V has the best story as they are well constructed and connected. Not to mention, they improved a lot from RS, Em, Pt and HGSS.

This is probably why I enjoy the 5th Generation so much, because the two games and their stories help tie up everything thanks to B2/W2's Memory Link. I feel like most other games had their stories pale in comparison to these games, because with this generation taking a huge step up in everything, stepping up the story to a more mature nature was what made it stand out.

Years
    I preferred B2/W2's storyline. The first game did a good job building up N for me, and when he(spoiler alert...meh do I need it?) appeared just in time before you get killed by Ghetsis' Kyurem, I had goosebumps. The Colress part was kinda unexpected, because I was hoping he'll help you beat Team Plasma or something like that. The rival parts were somewhat sloppy, his "You're about to feel my rage!" moments just doesn't do it for me. Still, I'd go with the sequel's storyline.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    To be real honest they are great on their own, shouldn't be compared as they compliment each other's plot. Overall, the whole Gen V has the best story as they are well constructed and connected. Not to mention, they improved a lot from RS, Em, Pt and HGSS.

Literally what I would've said. Spot on. They're both great games individually but together they tell the whole story. Probably my favourite generation as we speak although it always changes, lol.

Back