• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Why Biden's Immigration Plan May be Risky for Democrats

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    "As one of his first acts, Biden offered a sweeping immigration overhaul last week that would provide a path to U.S. citizenship for the estimated 11 million people who are in the United States illegally. It would also codify provisions wiping out some of President Donald Trump's signature hard-line policies, including trying to end existing, protected legal status for many immigrants brought to the U.S. as children and crackdowns on asylum rules...." Yahoo Newspaper

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-bidens-immigration-plan-may-123726027.html

Years
  • Hearing those migrants speak optimistically about Biden's immigration reforms makes me happy. Ending the Muslim ban and increasing protections to DACA recipients sounds pretty good to me, but I don't think republicans will be too happy. They're VERY against progressive immigration reform, and I'm not sure how much Biden can actually accomplish just through executive orders?

I also keep hearing that immigration hurts American workers... But how exactly?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I also keep hearing that immigration hurts American workers... But how exactly?
    I can't say I'm very knowledgeable on the matter and economics has always seemed like an arcane or esoteric art to me, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

From what I've seen, it's something along the lines of how an immigrant workforce negatively affects blue-collar workers by both increasing competition for jobs, and decreasing wages for those jobs. Immigrant workers are often paid less than normal, and this spills over to non-immigrant workers in the same field. To me though, that doesn't really sound like a problem with immigration, but rather corporations being what they've always been--exploitative scumbags who will literally do anything and everything they're allowed to get away with in order to maximize profit.

Either way, I'm not optimistic about immigration reform (or any reform really) myself, as I'm immensely skeptical that someone like Biden will do or want to do what this country really needs. Even if he somehow has magically seen the light or whatever in the past two years, there's still the matter that much of the rest of federal/state/local governments aren't into progressive policies.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • The amount of people we're talking about is 3.3%, which isn't exactly huge, and most of those have been living in the US for years and most have either US-born families or have lived there for a big share of their lives, studying in US schools and paying taxes like every other citizen. Frankly, I don't think there really is any reason to be mad about those. And, anyway, most of the arguments against immigration can be boiled down to "but they aren't WHITE!!". If someone has been living in a country for a certain amount of years, working and paying taxes like everybody else, and hasn't committed any crimes, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be given the chance to get their formal paperwork.

Last edited:
    Back