• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why both?

Lo~li~Pop

◕‿‿◕ Happy Smiles! ◕‿‿◕
    Years
    I reserved them both because my little brother wants to play pokemon too and I will use his to store some of my pokemon on *nods*.

Now the reason why I got Platinum when I already had Pearl was because I knew I would need more space to trade pokemon. I thought that getting Platinum was a waste of money, but now not so much.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    Lots of people get multiple copies so they can replay the game without losing all the events. Others like to collect the games. But in the end, it's all just a matter of personal preference...

Besides, two isn't bad... I know someone on another forum who is getting four. Since it's a private forum, I'll just post a screen of the post.

Why both?

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    One to keep all your Pokemon on so you don't lose future events, and one to replay whenever you want, there's also the exclusive Pokemon if you don't have a friend with the other game or something.

Champloo

RNG Expert
    Years
    Like some said before I've always just bought both versions out of tradition.

I guess I'm such a big fan the extra 40 dollars doesn't matter =P

Stop being CHEAP guys seriously lolz jk

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
    Geez, I'd shell out $80 for both games if I could. If I wanted to grab both copies here it would cost me $140.

Years

As for me, I'll buy one of the pair originally released and then the third updated game only. With my brother spending all his money on Pokemon games, I can always fall back on his carts (just not the AR ones, lol)
    Are you sure there's going to be a 3rd game in this series? FR/LG didn't have a 3rd, and since these are similar in the sense that they're a remake of an older game I wouldn't be surprised if it followed the same path. Especially with Gen 5 being announced already.

As for me? Buying both is tempting but I think I'm just going to stick with one. It would be great to have a main game and then one I can restart whenever I want, but I don't think I'll do that.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Why both you ask me!?
    Well, First I got both in Japanese, cause the exclusive in the pokemon.
    But I'm getting SoulSilver ONLY in the english, -since I have HG- I can use the exclusive and trade over to my SS. :3

But if I did get both, its for the Version's exclusive.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    I'm getting HeartGold my brother is getting SoulSilver.
    There's no reason to get both.
    Unless you want to get the Rayquaza,Both Latios & Latias,etc.

Miria

A wild Miria appeared!
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 13, 2010
    I suppose I'll also end up getting both versions. lol I always like to reset my games and start fresh..! But I don't want to lose everything I've gathered aswell during my first game..! So that'd be why I guess.. :P

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    It's meaningless to buy both.

I asked the guy at Gamestop what's the big difference between the games and he just said it's mainly a one or two Pokemon difference.

If you're gonna do what I'm doing, is play the game over and over and trade all your Pokemon to D/P/Pt and get the Pokemon you can't get in your HG/SS game off the GTS.

It's better than spending another $30.

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
    One I'll use for my main, and the other I'll use to play over and over when I feel like it.

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    Some Pokémon are only available to catch in a specific version, so if someone wanted to complete their Pokédex, then they could if they had both versions.

Esmas

General
    Years
    Both; to play the game another time. I know I like to repeat the adventure to get another thrill and another adventure, especially with more experience. Maybe you'd want a different team, or would want to pick a different starter, or maybe even choose the other character. Also to complete the Pokédex (which I've NEVER done) and to add to your video game collection.

This is why I had trouble with Platinum; I finished the game, but I had nothing to do in the end and so I wanted to restart to form a different team and stuff, but then I realized all of the valuable stuff I had, so I was stuck with nothing to do. Now I'm just gonna get SoulSilver, trade all my valuables to it from Platinum, then restart Platinum. That's what I love about the Pokémon games: you can restart them a million and times and not get bored with them...at least for me :3

Oh yeah, and I'll probably end up getting both, even if it seems impossible for me now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    As of yet, I have only pre-ordered SS, but i'd like to get HG for a few reasons:
    1) If I got it, I would get it in Spanish so that i could practice my spanish skills and have fun at the same time (it certainly beats spanish soap operas)
    2) It would be my secondary file to restart as I please because with my first game, LeafGreen, I had finished the game but I got bored so I restarted. That was years ago, I have yet to beat the Elite 4 again x___x
    3) Twice the legendaries, duh!

But, ya, mostly because it would be in spanish, which would be awesome!!! (this coming from a language nerd)

Years
    I don't like having two versions of what is essentially the same game. And also, it kills the fun of trading to catch them all. It's also quite a bit of cash to dish out. IMO, it's not worth it. No offense, guys :D

I would have to agree. I'm getting my boyfriend into Diamond, as I traded over my higher-leveled pokemon onto my Platinum, and let him restart a new game there. So I may just down the road buy another one so he can trade with me, but I am a little bit annoyed that they raised the price to $39.99...

I may get SoulSilver at some point for him, but that would be the only case for me to spend so much money.

I believe macfreak93 gave me a good idea/reason to buy another one: practicing my Spanish! Hmm...but still two of those games would be half my weekly pay lol...sad I know.

TheGearofWar

RAAM Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2010
    Ibut I am a little bit annoyed that they raised the price to $39.99...

I had to pay off $42 for it... :\ I suspect the price raise is for the PokeWalker though, so I can't really complain, but still.

To me, that's unbelievably expensive for a DS game considering they're selling non-major games for like $20.

Anyway, I for one would not at all pay $84 + tax for two identical games, even if I wanted to play it twice, I'd just trade the good Pokemon over to Platinum and restart that one.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    I got them coz of the figurines, which are awesome!! and im making my bro play heart gold. Plus i really want to complete the pokedex this time, which is looking kinda possible this time round.

Back