• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do Most People Hate Ash?

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    First off, please don't come in saying, "LAWL hax0r weres da action replay for that hacked pikachu" because its not funny.

Why is this. Hes takes many unevolved pokemon and makes it to all of the regions leagues, defeats many powerful trainers, and he and his pokemon have a great bond.

The arguement, "LAWL electric cant hit ground types or K0 rocks LAWL" may be false because obviously the shows physics are differnt from the games. I know theres some sort of level system in the show and i know many people say this, "LAWL if pikachu say my salamence it would get owned LAWL" which may not be the case. Pikachu may outlevel salamence heavly, maybe not.

I will say Ash acts rather stupid at times, but he seems to prevail in many difficult battles. Mainly because he uses whats on the battlefield to his advantage and has unique tactics to help him win.

Now on to how he treats his pokemon. I'll start with evolution. For one I don't think Ash would mind evolving his pokemon but they themselves sometimes don't want to evolve. He has enough respect to not make them evolve and to let them think for themselves. Giving away pokemon, this is one thing many people say, "LAWL why does he give away some awesome pokemanz keep them LAWL". Well think of this like a real life senario, if you had a bond with some like lets say, a child or some kind of pet, you would want whats best for them, no? Example, some teenage parents know they cant care for their child, as much as they would like to, so they give the child to a family that can care for the child better. You can relate this to Ash giving away his pokemon because they are more happy were they are, and Ash only wants the best for them.

Now I will admit, Ash isn't the best trainer there is, but maybe its how he cares for the pokemon which makes them care back and not want to disappoint him?

Well thats all. That probally sounded extremly nerdy but its whatever.

nidorina

Ash Ketchum groupie~1998♥
    Years
  • I agree with you. I don't get why so many people don't like him.
    I, for one, love him. <3 I think people just don't like him cuz they're sick of him or something, or think he's annoying.

Hahlin

The USN Soldier
    Years
  • To me, Ask always seems to be uber. Pikachu comes into the fight, Pikachu fights, just about EVERY time Pikachu wins. The usual plot to the episode kinda rolls into the old Power Ranger scheme. Ok day, problem, Rangers come in, get but kicked, come back later, kick butt, etc. Ash just seems, eh, predictable. Everything he raises wins, there's no suspense to it. It's just guessing how he's knocking knock out THIS opponent or THAT leader.

For example, remember when Ash's SNORLAX fought Maylene's HARIYAMA and WON? (I believe it was Maylene, correct me on the person but I remember Snorlax fighting a Hariyama and a Medicham and winning.) Doesnt that seem a little, eh, off? Even in the slightest?

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    He was fine in season 1. It was when they changed VA's that I started to hate his guts.

Also, Pikachu just plain sucks.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I actually like Ash's current voice actor. I like to look at it as a form of character development. I don't dislike Ash, but more so how the show portrays him. I don't like he and everyone else is such a goody two-shoes. No one realistically acts that way. In the Original Series, Ash actually acted his age. He was shown to be racist, ignorant, intollerant, impatient, and all those traits we can relate to. But then around the Advanced Series, he and everyone else started acting like they were on Dora or somethin, like the writers were trying to make them saints so they could be good role models. I know people mature, but (I like to think Ash is 15-16 about now) but he should still be a prick of some sort.

PuNkSter

Typhlosion is on fire!
    Years
  • Ash had a different outlook for his pokemon and fighting in battles. which sometimes is quite interesting. yes he did not evolve some of his pokemon(which i think he should of). he relied more of a "friendship bond" with all of his pokemon thus all of his pokemon gaining his trust. when it came to battles, he like you said used different tactics and held the odds when it was not on his side at the start of battle to his side when he used his brain. overall as a person, i don`t like ash, but as a trainer i somewhat admire his play of style.

Years
  • People like to hate... just about anything. I dont see what to hate about ash, he's a fictional character in a cartoon that kids like.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Three reasons:

The Internet is not necessarily an indicator of what the real world thinks.

Pokemon fans are especially whiny about everything.

PokeCommunity's anime section is pretty much a place to whine about how much the anime sucks/sinnoh sucks/ruined forever after the user hit puberty/etc..., rather than to discuss it.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    LAWL hax0r weres da action replay for that hacked pikachu lolololololol

...but seriously. For a cartoon, anyway.

Ash is not particularly special as far as anime heroes go. They wouldn't be the hero if they couldn't get anywhere, at least not for this kind of show. So naturally, he has to win or only lose to certain people, for the sake of moving on. Heck, I don't even watch anything other than the movies anymore. From what little I do see it's pretty much the same like that. No reason to Complain About Shows You Don't Watch, so if you've moved on why continue to tell those who stick around what's wrong with it? Also, I agree with randomspot555's sentiments 100%.

And yeah, the first post was a bit nerdy. Not as bad as Leave Britney Alone Guy, but it definitely had a similar vibe. =l

Last edited:

Manganum

Your local sine wave
    Years
  • Quote from IGN Boards.
    It's a good laugh.

IT'S BEEN TWELVE YEARS. IF YOU HAD ANY CHANCE IN HELL OF BECOMING A POKEMON MASTER THEY ARE OVER.

Ash consistently gives away his best Pokemon, seemingly ignores the Elite 4, doesn't evolve his Pokemon evar (Or else he then will instantly give them away), and he can't even fill up a single area pokedex in twelve years of roaming the world.

He's in his 20s now and still sounds like he's a twelve year old. Sometimes you just need to give up on your dreams and move on to an office job son...

Draggie

Dragonom
    Years
  • I can't stand him and his bloody overpowered yellow rat, they are just made out to be 'THE BEST',he's mostly just an annoying kid who's stuck in Neverland with his little rat. Stupid stuffs ;-;
    *Runs off to Sinnoh and tells Ash to grow up <.<;*

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    I think Ash is awesome.
    He's my favorite character in fact.
    From what I saw, half of the fandom loves him, the other half dislikes him.
    Its the same thing with every character on the show.
    Some people love Misty, some hate her. Dawn, same thing, May, same thing.
    Characters will have haters out there and fans too. Ask for the age, he hasn't aged at all. In an interview with a producer in Japan who works on the show, he said Ash is 10 and always has been 10 and won't ever age. So he's still 10 folks, thefore his personality won't change into a 20 year old suddenly however he can mature as he travels around the world.

Poke-dude

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Poeple hate ash because every one will have someone who hates them and some one who likes them. In the show ash has people who hate him...like jessie, james and meowth.
    In my opinion Ash would have to be my favorite protagonist. He shows good values like doing whats right and stuff like that...
    Oh and Pikachu kicks ass because I passed all of the Johto league with a pikachu :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2010
    I dont like him :)
    and i think every new season should start with other main character :P
    It would be more interesting.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Why would you put a smilie next to "I don't like him"? :/

Why don't you?

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • I just dont like Ash for how damn lucky he is. He was about to get pwnd by Team Rocket until one of his Pokemanz evolves and blow them away. :( And also when his Pokemon get bashed by a Gym Leader, his Pikachu comes out and starts killing their pokemon. :(

But Brock is awesomeness. :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I hate Ash because he comes from smoking and smoking is bad.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 22, 2013
    I honestly don't like Ash because of his personality. Not because it's annoying, because it's so... typical. I've seen many heroes with a similar personality :/

And I don't like his voice. But that doesn't really count towards my dislike for him.

Back