• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many people hate pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisPowerIsAtomic

[Insert Catchy Title Here]
Years
  • Surprisingly I have had a lack of people tell me they hate Pokemon, when I brought my HeartGold I'd be walking in the halls playing it and people would ask what I was playing and after I told them they'd usually ask something along the lines of "Do you have Pikachu/Suicune/Snorlax etc.?" or "Oh cool, I like that Pokemon."

And to add to the topic, I think they just 'hate' it because since they grew up with it (and everyone else for the most in age group between 14-20) they assume it's only for little kids, well that, and it's an E-rated game. (I guess)

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
    Years
  • Hell, where I live if you play Modern Warfare 2 or other wildly popular games with them, they don't give a flying Fearow what you otherwise.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
  • I woudlnt say 'bully' is the right word there for me.
    I'm a uni student and people pretty much poke fun at me for that, but I wouldnt use the word 'bully' coz thats the kind of stuff immature lil kiddies would do.
    Anyway the point is, most people think that pokemon is too childish, but I only care for the pokemon games coz it actually requires real strategy to beat the game and I'm addicted to challenging games =P

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • But what they're doing is childish and immature. o.O
    I mean, it's basically name calling, except towards a game instead of a person. You never hear any worthy reasons from the people doing it, because there really aren't any. Hence you have name calling.

My verdict is that the people who call Pokemon childish obviously:

1. Have not read the manga
    2. Discredit the games giving the anime all the attention, despite the anime being based on the games.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2023
    In my school, there's this one kid who is ALWAYS talking about Pokémon. 24/7. I don't dislike Pokémon itself. I really just dislike some Pokémon fans out there that talk about it ALL the time. It's annoying, and if you want to go home and play Pokémon, that's great, but keep it to yourself. And wait until you get home, otherwise, shut up, because not everyone wants to hear it. Also, I am NOT a Pokémon HATER. I HATE it when some people in my class say this to me, after I tell them to shut up. Listening to people talking about Pokémon is not my top priority. Listening to what the teacher says is.
    and please, DON'T get mad at me for posting this... I do not hate pokemon. I'm just talking about this one group of Pokémon fans in my class. I do realize that not all Pokémon fans are like this. Just wanted to share my opinion. :)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • They do? That's certainly not my perception. I've never met a single person who dislikes it, actually. The worst I've heard someone say about it is that they don't understand how anyone could have the patience to collect over 700 creatures.

But that said, I do recognize that Pokemon is aimed at a very specific audience: completionists and collectors. If you're not one of those two I'd imagine you wouldn't have much interest in Pokemon.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I was bullied all the time back in school for it (race also) which led me to being an antisocial rageaholic that got into a lot of fights.

Maybe that's why I like Fighting types so much.

Anyways, Pokémon is a mixed bag where I've been. City folk definitely seem to be more okay with it than out in the country. Same with East vs. Mid-West; I've definitely met more Pokéfans out on the East coast than out in the mid-west.

I guess it's a cultural thing. I can relate to the people here on things like hunting, shooting, mudding, and off-roading- which seems to run counter to my traditionally more "kiddy" interests like Pokémon, anime, and Disney movies.

I never understood the shallow-minded mentality of one-or-the-other. Who's to say that I'm not allowed to enjoy cuddling with an adorable l'il Vulpix as much as I enjoy blasting clays with a 12-guage?

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    I remember when someone saw my pokewalker hanging from my pants, they were like "DooD, is that a pokeball?" "Thats's awesome!!!"

Hahaha, that is awesome. My friend wore his poke'walker to school as well, I teased him about it but he never received any other criticism about it.

Lots of the hate towards pokemon comes from misunderstanding. I don't think many here would disagree that pokemon most of the time gives off a "really happy, going to be the best there ever was yeaaaa!" vibe in both the games(story) and the show. Majority of people who hate it are usually superficial and just judge a book by its cover. The kind of person who will never look past the flaws in things for the positives.

I'm not bothered by it, haters are gonna hate. I sometimes bring my 3DS around to school, but only play it if I have nothing better/no homework or studying to do. I think if someone *did* walk up to me and go "Haha!! Your playing pokemon, wut r u, a child???". I'd probably laugh and offer the person if they wanna try it out for themselves lol.

WAS

Years
  • My opinion is they weren't exactly the right age, at the right time to get into it. Seems most people I know that were my age all played Pokemon, every single one of them. And kids even now, usually watched or tried to play a little. The issue I see is the card game has lost a bit of glory it once had.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • It's hilarious that those whom laughed at how I am playing Pokemon during school times are actually playing Pokemon now that we are older though.

Years
  • Hey yotsubato, welcome to Pokecommunity! Unfortunately, this thread is nearly 4 years old- well past the one month revival limit. For future reference, if you don't see an active thread for a topic you'd like to discuss, feel free to make a new thread rather than bumping an old one. And you (or anyone else) would like to remake this thread, go right ahead. Thanks!

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back