• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen why is bw2 so expensive?

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2020
    i really want white 2 but on amazon and eBay it is 60-70 pounds (80-90 dollars), this is really annoying because i am trying to get 1 of the 2 (or 3) games in every set of games

Years
  • (moving this to previous generations as it fits better there)

i mean, it's for the same reasons why most other older pokemon games (like hgss) are so expensive: there are limited copies of them out there, and what little copies that do exist sell for a ridiculous amount. :s

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • It's due to supply and demand.

Although, that price is definitely a ripoff. People on the internet are definitely going to inflate the price as much as possible. Are there any Game stores around you where you can see if they have a used copy there instead?

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2020
    All of the DS generation games seem to be highly sought after, even more so than the gen 3 and before games it seems. I think it has to do with a lot of people growing up with those games the most.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2023
    I belive the reason they are higher is more because of how they function now(black/white). They aren't games in the since that you'd play them purely for the satisfaction of doing so but rather they are the conduit links between the first five gens and the last three. With bw/b2w2 being the only ways to get your oldest most cherished teams and memories off of your oldest games. Because of this utility they tend to be valued much more highly. My guess anyways

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I'm guessing its because there aren't any more cartridges being made for the older games, and so the price of them will go up when there are less copies available in the martket. The GBA Pokémon Games are likely to be even more expensive than the DS games I would think.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The GBA Pokémon Games are likely to be even more expensive than the DS games I would think.
    Strangely enough, they aren't. There's a lot of variation in price, but on average the Gen 3 games don't seem to be more expensive than the 4th and 5th gen games.

----

saw this while scrolling:
    Wag5hZn.png

like wtf no one's buying that (though maybe it's just someone trolling)

well ok Bloomberg could afford that but still

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Strangely enough, they aren't. There's a lot of variation in price, but on average the Gen 3 games don't seem to be more expensive than the 4th and 5th gen games.

I guess I just assumed GBA games were more expensive since it seems to be the case in game shops near where I live that still sell them. I know one of them had a boxed copy of Pokémon Sapphire at £40 while they sold the Gen 4
    and Gen 5 games for just £30 in comparison.

saw this while scrolling:
    Wag5hZn.png

like wtf no one's buying that (though maybe it's just someone trolling)

well ok Bloomberg could afford that but still

This is one of the many reasons why I prefer buying stuff from stores rather than buying it online. But imagine if someone actually DID pay that. Not sure how people can get away with setting prices like that.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    They sold about a half as many copies as Black and White, so if demand is the same now as it is for B/W the price will be higher due to less units available for sale. They've had a lot of love in retrospect too, so will be in high demand.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • They're the last of a system and are the gate to modern Pokémon in terms of transferring, have high praise among the fanbase and aren't easily emulatable on a phone compared to something like the first three gens (which is why I imagine stuff like Gen III isn't really that expensive despite having been out of circulation for nearly 15 years now).

Years
  • If I recall correctly I paid 110 bucks for the Pokemon White version when it came out in my country. It's even more expensive than that nowadays. It's just a great game.

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I didn't realize that the games were that expensive on the secondary market. I purchased a used copy of White 2 a few months ago, and it only cost me around 4800 yen [about $45].

Back