• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is it that celebrities have less freedom than us?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I mean why is it that celebrities and sport stars etc. can't do anything without getting beaten down in a metaphorical sense? I mean, really.

What I mean is that here in Australia a while ago, a footballer for a team was sitting out, watching a game because he was off for the entire game, and was sitting there drinking a beer. Legal people and all these law things say it's the wrong thing to do and that he should get a ban, or at least some sort of suspended sentence for just drinking a beer while watching a football game.

This got me thinking about other celebrities who are constantly in the firing line about just normal things that everyone does. It's allowed and completely legal, but somehow is frowned upon. What do you think about these sorts of accusations against famous people, and getting shot down for just doing a small thing at the least that we would do as everyday citizens?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Because people forget that even though they're famous, they're also humans that do normal human things, normal human bodily functions, have normal human needs, and also make normal human mistakes. And they're role models for some, and people, namely parents, think celebrities should maintain that role model status and just be perfect at everything. Unfortunately, like I said, celebs are still human. They do all the things that we do. They just happen to have more money.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • If it's legal and permitted why would he be punished? O_o I think you're leaving something out. That doesn't make sense

~Akiko

<3
    Years
  • I think they get more freedoms and it's unfair. They always find a way to evade the law while if a normal person like myself did something wrong, I wouldn't be able to get out of it. :/

Katja

Years
  • Because people like to criticize other people, especially if they're famous and on TV. As a movie star or whatever, you have to have thick skin because people are *****es. :/

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Because they are being judged by a range of audiences.

We are only judged by our friends and family and because of this, we have more freedom. When you are being looked at by a large community that includes children, parents, sponsors, employers etc. you have to be very critical of your actions.

Think of how you have to act at an interview. That's their whole life. They are always watched so they cant make a single mistake.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Because they signed a contract.

On one hand, most celebrities are under legal contracts which dictate their responsibilities, liberties, ownerships, etc. They sign their names off to these contracts--there is a bit of law in it. Since they're owned by the media, they have to portray themselves like the media wants them to, as to upholster an image--the archetypal celebrity kind of thing. On the other, there's also an unspoken contract. By wanting to become famous, by going through the process of becoming famous, celebrities also sign their names off to society. The fame, the paparazzi--the people always bothering you. Celebrities become icons at the cost of their self--and once it's done, there's no other path but to accept this. It's a cost of being famous.

A lot of people would castigate society for forgetting that celebrities are human too, but they also forget that this is kind of what they asked for. No one becomes famous (note: not infamous) by accident. They might regret it, but it's also their life. By being famous, they get more freedoms & things at their disposal, but they pay the cost; in a way, they are human but also belong in a different category altogether.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there's something legal about being a professional footballer and alcohol (something in their contract that says they can't drink during a game no matter what).

Years
  • Celebrities are a person and an image and people can't always differentiate the two. Probably it's also a case of something people would criticize in anyone at all but are too afraid to do in public to strangers. Or maybe not. I sometimes see or hear people talking about other people they see in public. Some people think it's their business to tell others how they should live their lives.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Celebrities are role models. They are held to high standards as a direct result of that.
    You do not think as poorly of a person with a bad record for doing something bad as you do for someone who is otherwise supposed to be an ideal person.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Because they signed a contract.
    this was exactly my thought when i read this thread's title. more often than not, people who have entered the celebrity lifestyle had the option not to. there are sacrifices one must make for financial freedom, but that doesn't excuse the shallow nosiness of ordinary folk.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Fair enough that they decide to become famous by any means so they have to sign a contract, but I think it's going a bit too far as to try and get someone in trouble for drinking one beer at a football game. It's not like he was playing or anything, nor was he being a crazy drunk or doing anything those footballers do when they're drunk, so I see no harm in it whatsoever.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Fair enough that they decide to become famous by any means so they have to sign a contract, but I think it's going a bit too far as to try and get someone in trouble for drinking one beer at a football game. It's not like he was playing or anything, nor was he being a crazy drunk or doing anything those footballers do when they're drunk, so I see no harm in it whatsoever.

you're absolutely right, but this is just how people are. they're bored and nosy and like having something to judge and bring down other than themselves. it's unfair and inexcusable behavior, but anyone in their right mind understands that these are the people they'll be dealing with when they take the rare opportunity to be a celebrity.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • I blame that dang nabbit tmz television show! Always snooting round' in other peoples business!

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Fair enough that they decide to become famous by any means so they have to sign a contract, but I think it's going a bit too far as to try and get someone in trouble for drinking one beer at a football game. It's not like he was playing or anything, nor was he being a crazy drunk or doing anything those footballers do when they're drunk, so I see no harm in it whatsoever.

Again, I think the football case was a bit of an unrelated event. I'm fairly certain football contracts forbid all form of substance use (and are stricter in the event of a game). Even if it was just alcohol and he knew he was going to be out the entire game, it's also poor form to break contract for any reason (and also poor form to be drinking publicly with stature anyway).

Back