• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 10 kicks me off of WiFi

Guest123_x1

I upgraded my laptop, a Gateway NV57H from Windows 7 to the Windows 10 preview. It has a Broadcom 802.11n WiFi device.
    Here's the problem: Once I got Windows 10 (Home 64-bit) running, it constantly kicks me off of my WiFi, at completely random points. I've searched the Internet far and wide for solutions, but every one listed doesn't solve the problem. I've run Builds 10130, 10162, 10166, and am now on 10240 and can't get this issue resolved.

Among the settings I've changed were:
    *Uninstalled and reinstalled the device via Device Manager - didn't solve the problem.
    *Unchecked "Turn this device off to save power" in Device Manager - didn't solve the problem.
    *Tried to reinstall the Windows 7 and Windows 8 versions of the driver - Device Manager refused to allow those drivers to install, claiming that I already had the best driver in use. (Driver version I have now is 6.30.223.256, from June 2, 2013.)
    *Went into the Power Options control panel applet>Change Advanced Settings>Wireless Adapter Settings>Power Saving Mode, which I set to Maximum Performance for both Plugged in and On Battery - didn't solve the problem of course.
    *Turned PCI Express Link State power management to Off for both Plugged in and Battery - didn't solve the problem obviously.

I do have the following blurb in the Events tab for the Wifi device in Device Manager:
    Device PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4357&SUBSYS_04DA14E4&REV_01\4&3d1316c&0&00E1 requires further installation.

With Windows 10 this close to completion and general availability, there is NO EXCUSE for this kind of crap. I have a bad feeling Windows 10 is deliberately designed to randomly kick users off of their WiFi connections. I don't want to have to restore my Windows 7 system image that I made of the laptop if there's no real lasting solution to this problem. To add insult to injury, I never had the issue described above with Windows 7.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Is your wifi driver signed to work with Windows 10 yet? If it's not, then there's no guarantee that it's going to work, I'm afraid.

Flannery Lue

Soul Sister
    Years
  • Uh... I used the Windows 10 Preview for a time, before I switched back to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I never had this issue, but then again; I didn't have a Laptop, or that WiFi thingy. I have a USB 3.0 5GHz WiFi thing that I use, and Windows 10 seemed to like it. I was hitting my maximum download, and upload speeds with their weird "Project Spartan" browser thing. 105Mb/s down, and 20Mb/s up.

I can say that I once had a Lenovo G560 Laptop, and it had a "Broadcom 802.11n WiFi Radio" in it. When I wiped the drive, and upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (I had W7 Basic), it told me that Windows couldn't find the proper driver for the device. I had to plug my laptop into Ethernet, and manually download the proper driver. I don't have a solution for you, and I apologise for rambling. I just figured that since I had a few similarities to share, I'd type them out.

I wish you luck on discovering a solution. =/

Guest123_x1

I ran the Gandolf's Windows 8.1 PE boot DVD, and connected it to Wifi for awhile, but it too kicks me off after a period of time. The Wifi driver included is Broadcom 43xx version 6.30.223.102

I'm really wondering if recent versions of Windows are indeed deliberately designed to boot users off of their Wifi randomly. In other words, it looks like this issue will never be fixed because "this behavior is by design" and I'm going to have to skip out on upgrading and stick with Windows 7 for the rest of my life.

#WishTheHellICouldAffordAMacBook

Years
  • I've got something to follow up with:
    I ran the Gandolf's Windows 8.1 PE boot DVD, and connected it to Wifi for awhile, but it too kicks me off after a period of time. The Wifi driver included is Broadcom 43xx version 6.30.223.102

I'm really wondering if recent versions of Windows are indeed deliberately designed to boot users off of their Wifi randomly. In other words, it looks like this issue will never be fixed because "this behavior is by design" and I'm going to have to skip out on upgrading and stick with Windows 7 for the rest of my life.

#WishTheHellICouldAffordAMacBook
    So does your computer natively run Windows 7? Is the wifi device an external one or built in? If it's built in, then it could just be that the manufacturer does not support newer versions of Windows, thus the instability of connectivity.

I use Windows 8.1 with wifi for hours on end, and I'm never kicked off, so your thought of newer versions of Windows deliberately turning off wifi as you suggest is not true.

Guest123_x1

The laptop in question originally shipped with 7 preinstalled. The manufacturer's website does not offer drivers for my particular brand of WiFi device for my model on Windows 8.1 (an Qualcomm Atheros driver is offered for 8.1, as well as drivers for some other devices, but nothing from Broadcom.)

Funny thing is, I've heard of people being kicked off of WiFi with Windows 8.1 using other manufacturer's wireless devices, too, so I'm not sure what I should replace my WiFi device (an internal mini-PCI-E card) with, since it looks like I might have to go that route.

What about trying a Linux-based OS on a Live USB/CD? Will it too kick you off WiFi after a while?
    I've tried a few different distros (such as Ubuntu and Mint), and there's a gazillion problems with trying to get them to work properly. They either refuse to install completely, or, when I do successfully install (which I tried to do to have a secondary OS besides Windows) the system will lock up and take all programs with it (like Windows 3.1x was notorious for doing).
    I have this bad feeling that *gulp* my laptop is about to be toast (I did buy this one used after my previous one died with a bad video chip). I'm not looking forward to having to get yet another laptop (which would be my third in two years.)

UPDATE 8-12: I wanted to post an update with my laptop's situation. I reinstalled Windows 10, and went to the Device Manager, opened my WiFi device's Properties, clicked "Update Driver", clicked "Browse my computer for updated software", then "Let me pick from a list", where I was able to select driver version 5.100.249.2 from June 3, 2010 (which was used by Windows 7 and its files somehow carried over during the upgrade). A screenshot of what I'm talking about is below:
    Windows 10 kicks me off of WiFi

Last edited:
    Back