• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 10!

Years
  • Run an admin command prompt and type wuauclt.exe/updatenow and see if you can get it that way
    Tried that, nothing happened.

@Team Fail: I was going to try the manual update earlier, but it wasn't working for me and it seems to be a bit of a hassle. Thanks though.

Never mind! Cleared out C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and it's started. Thanks for the help.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Yeah, guys...be sure you update EVERYTHING on your computer (that means windows update, as well as any drivers that are out of date). Out-dated drivers are usually the main reason why upgrade installations fail.

Also, back up your stuff too before jumping on. It's a rarity to lose things during installation, but you do want to be on the safe side.

Years
  • My system image is nearing completion (and it hasn't even been an hour yet!), so I could be on track to begin installation tonight ^^ yay!!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I did gave it a click, but won't budge

Years
  • Earlier I was all like, okay, why not go upgrade now--
    Wait no never mind I still have to wait for my turn to get it.

:T

And I know about the one thing, but I really don't care that much about it to make it update. I can be patient in regards to this. I wouldn't be installing it until later anyway.

I think right now I'll at least go back up the stuff I really want to keep, just in case.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Installed it on both my desktop PC and my laptop and have had zero issues with drivers, but had to use the download tool on my laptop as I wasn't able to pre-load on it.

Highly recommended update, performance hasn't changed one bit and the new Start menu is less obtrusive than the old screen. The directx 12 support should be important for gaming in the future as well, should go well with the graphics card I'm planning to get soon for my desktop.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I used Microsoft Edge to reinstall Google Chrome and that's truly the epitome of my Windows browser experience lmao

I made a comment last night about how the mouse seems to be rather glitchy compared to Windows 8.1 a couple of hours earlier and it's definitely not me being a technohypochondriac, it slips around a lot more and alternates between stiffness/limberness without any warning, plus it's developed a habit of being frustrating with clicking onto tabs and then dragging them out of the main browser.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Well, I've been hyped for Windows 10 (I'm still irritated by the name and nonsensical counting, though - if we're going off of Windows 7 and Windows 8, the operating system's common name should be Windows 9, although at least the "Windows 9x issue" explanation sounds like a plausible rationale...I guess I'll have to indulge in extreme rounding of "Windows 8.1 → 9" so I can have some semblance of proper numbering.. -.- And in any case, the Roman-numeral alternative of "Windows X" sounds cooler, although I guess it kind of detracts from the uniqueness of the "Windows XP" name.. /Windows10namerant) for a while now; I guess I just like gravitating towards knowing about new technology. {XD}

Although I haven't actually tested out the system yet, it looks highly promising from what I've read as an excelling successor of Windows 7 - way better than the touch-infested disaster of Windows 8/Windows 8.1. I'm glad that Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users get the opportunity of upgrading for free (especially for Windows 8.1 users, as Microsoft never did deliver a "proper" Start Menu as they supposedly intended). I'm a bit wary of the "software as a service" route that Windows 10 seems to be taking, though. I also dislike the practice of forcing updates on people; I distinctly recall an update from some time between 2014-2015 that inadvertently disrupted the functioning a lot of Microsoft Windows computers (or something along those lines), not to mention that Windows seems to inexplicably like installing (or at least wanting to install) updates at the most random times (even when set for a time frame like ~3:00 AM), particularly when the user is probably busy with stuff and at moments when shutting down would not be helpful.

Hooray for the return of the proper Start Menu! ^^ As far as I'm concerned, that thing needs to be a mainstay on Windows computers until something better comes along (it definitely wasn't the Windows 8 Start Screen, that's for sure). The integration of tiles is a decent compromise, although I prefer the Windows 7 Start Menu layout. Thankfully, the free software of Classic Shell allows extensive Start Menu customization and seamless integration with Windows 10 (aside from the Windows 7 Start Menu version, it even lets you mimic Windows XP-era and Windows95/98-ish-era Start Menus; that is so cute! {<3}), so it looks like my Start Menu qualms are finally over. (I gotta donate to those guys someday..)

Other positive points related to the classic Start Menu's return include the "Control Panel" being regularly accessible again from the Start Menu (I never thought I would have to make a desktop shortcut just to get there on Windows 8), "Accesories -> System Tools" becoming regularly accessible again for things like Calculator, Disk Cleanup, and Disk Defragmenter, and the command for shutting down being easy again (it has been the easily-pinpointable "Start Button → Shut Down" for years, I have no idea why Windows 8 opted for that non-intuitive "sliiiiide-down-the-right-of-the-screen! → wait for the menu → press the on-screen Power button → then Shut Down" nonsense or whatever the "Shut Down" gesture was - a Start Screen tile was needed just to escape that gesturing chaos).

Also, it seems like "Modern Windows Apps" are confined to actual "windows" now instead of taking on the form of those Windows 8 "FULL-SCREEN, YEAH!" monstrosities (the prime offender being the Start Screen itself), which is a major plus. One of the biggest pains of Windows 8 is that it felt like almost every file-opening action mandated some kind of full-screen ordeal, even opening simple PDFs and images...sheesh.

The "Continuum Mode" feature of Windows 10 that adapts towards whether the user is on a desktop/laptop computer, a touch-screen tablet device, or a laptop-tablet hybrid device is much appreciated, compared to Windows 8 forcing "TOUCH!" on you all the time (may those Charms never come back >:().

The flat "Metro"-style of Windows 8 and Windows 10 is decent, although I rather liked the "Aero Glass" style embellished by Windows 7...hopefully Aero Glass makes some sort of comeback in Windows 10..?

Farewell, Internet Explorer! (although technically Windows 10 includes it for Enterprise purposes..?) I haven't tried out Microsoft Edge, although as a browser, I hope it can supersede Internet Explorer. The name is kind of underwhelming ("Edge" sounds like one of those technology buzzwords, for some reason), although I like that the "E" icon mimics the icon for Internet Explorer! :) Mozilla Firefox will still win for me as a web broswer in Windows 10, though (most likely XD).

Lastly, I wish the pre-Windows 8 versions of Solitaire (and similar games) were included on Windows 10; they're like classics! The Windows Store "Modern App" versions for Solitaire and its gaming brethren are very pretty but don't quite do the originals justice (Advertisements in Solitaire? Really? -_- Apparently, it's been like that since Windows 8, but that doesn't mean that the practice should still be encouraged at all. :x)

Tl;dr: Overall, Windows 10 looks largely promising compared to Windows 8 (with Classic Shell improving the Start Menu options multi-fold), although some aspects could be improved (Windows Update, Solitaire).

EDIT: It seems that there have been a few quirks regarding Windows 10 installations and usage.. I hope they can be ironed out. Good example of why I tend to be averse to adopting technology on the first day - I can learn about arising mishaps from (hopefully reliable) second-hand accounts rather than encountering said mishaps firsthand and experiencing them the hard way. :x

Last edited:

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Same thing before I upgraded. Windows Update didn't show get windows 10 icon on the taskbar, so I download and run media tool instead.

Sir Codin

I tried updating to 10 and the OS wouldn't even boot up, forcing me to use a method to revert back to 8.1

I don't know what caused this, but I'm sticking with 8.1 until Microsoft gets their shit together.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It seems you don't meet the requirement for the upgrade. I got that when using preview version and reverts back to my old 7.
    I miss the old 7, but Windows 10 boot and shut down much faster than 7 does.

Sir Codin

My computer doesn't suck shit, it's brand new and can play Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin.

I really don't know what caused that.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I'm not sure why isn't it working for you. It should work just fine for new pc as long the requirement is met

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I'm really excited for the update. It hasn't gotten to me yet, but I reserved it on the first day that we were allowed to, so now I'm just waiting.

Think I'll go ahead and upgrade as soon as I can, but I'm worried about downgrading (how I'd do that), if 10 messes up for me. :/

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • I was anxious to receive the update, so I stayed up until midnight hoping to get my reserved install first thing, but as the day went on, it was bothering me more and more that it wasn't giving me an upgrade notification. So, I went digging around, and found that using this guide and simply using the "upgrade" method, I was able to update from 8.1 to 10 on my own schedule (instead of Microsoft's).

Windows 10 is a welcome update. My machine has never run faster. Windows are snapping up instantly, applications boot at lightning speeds, and I'm pretty sure my laptop only took a total of 6 seconds to cold boot after the battery ran dry. I do have some issues with not being able to use Cortana without linking your Microsoft account to your system. They should be separate.

EDIT: And screw OneDrive. I use Mega instead, and it sucks that the OneDrive folder is permanently pinned in the explorer pane.

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Yeah, I've actually disabled OneDrive and IE so far, I just need to reboot now. I'd really like to remove OneDrive from the Explorer pane though, I may see if there is a registry edit I can do.

I think I can unpin OneDrive normally from the File Explorer. When I'm using the Explorer, I was right clicking on the Explorer's Taskbar icon and then unpinning it with no issues at all, just like when I'm unpinning stuffs in 8/8.1 back then. The changes that I made there will connect to the Explorer pane, so it will be good to go!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Crossing my fingers that nothing goes wrong, and using the guide that Monophobia linked to. Here goes nothin'. > >;

Back