• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 7 on PS3?

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
  • I read an article on the internet once about someone running Linux on the PS3, and I wondered if it was possible, with a RAM upgrade, to run Windows 7 on a PS3?

PokemonRockstar

old skool
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 19, 2012
    With thelastest update 3.20 you can no longer do that. Also Slim PS3 never could do that at all, only fat ones as it was a option

shot571

well geohot is releasing a 'new' firmware to re enable 'other os' or if not re enable if you havent already updated still allow u to go on online. ive been wondering if i culd put windows 7 on my ps3 too. maybe one day

Malice.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    I would be avoiding the 3.21 update altogether for now, people have been reporting issues related to it.

I, myself don't own a PS3, but doesn't it use a different architecture than X86/X64? If it does, Windows shouldn't be able to run on it natively. If you installed Linux on the PS3 and ran Windows 7 in a virtual box, that would probably be the only way?

Years
  • I would be avoiding the 3.21 update altogether for now, people have been reporting issues related to it.

I, myself don't own a PS3, but doesn't it use a different architecture than X86/X64? If it does, Windows shouldn't be able to run on it natively. If you installed Linux on the PS3 and ran Windows 7 in a virtual box, that would probably be the only way?

Most likely... but I don't have a PS3 to mess around with to test this, nor a spare hard drive.

The Silver Prince

The Protector Reigns
    Years
  • I don't think that Windows 7 is coming to the PS3 anytime soon. With the new firmware 3.21, no other OS (like Linux) can be installed on the PS3.

Other Tip:
    To increase HDD capacity in the Slim, you can simply buy one. The Slim uses a Toshiba Slim HDD. I and few of my mates took apart a PS3 and replaced it with a 500 GB Toshiba Slim HDD. Guys, it worked perfectly!

Zet

Years
  • I don't think that Windows 7 is coming to the PS3 anytime soon. With the new firmware 3.21, no other OS (like Linux) can be installed on the PS3.

Other Tip:
    To increase HDD capacity in the Slim, you can simply buy one. The Slim uses a Toshiba Slim HDD. I and few of my mates took apart a PS3 and replaced it with a 500 GB Toshiba Slim HDD. Guys, it worked perfectly!

And now you have no warranty

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Oh well. If you're smart enough to take it apart to install a hard drive, you're smart enough to fix it yourself. ;3

But yeah, Sony has really dropped the ball by dropping the Other OS feature.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2010
    Cant run linux anymore ps3 discontinued the OS support for hackable issues....
    But in theory its possible but Sony would have to colaborate with microsoft to do it and thats never gonna happen!

Years
  • The first problem you run into is the processor. Windows doesn't support the PowerPC instruction set, which is what the Cell uses (in addition to additional instructions). The second, and more obvious one is the removal of the Install Other OS option.

So, yeah. It's not possible even with an upgrade. That is, unless someone hacks in PowerPC support.

Kenneth Alog

Infectus Raiken
    Years
  • I think Linux is the only one supported..I never saw anyone try to run Vista. And I thought replacing the HDD doesn't void the warranty... it's in the instruction manual on how to replace it.

Back