• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[WIP] RCD Game Engine

What to add to the engine next

• Game Mechinics (Platforming,RPG,Raceing)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • 3D Graphics

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • More Sound Compatablity

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • More Advance 2D Drawing (Arcs and Fonts)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
Years
*nods, pretending to understand*

Lol, keep up the great work! I expect great things from this engine!

First part LOL
This engine. came from a long way so far. im even expermenting with sliverlight to see if i can make games made in it web based!
So now comes an idea i had. Would you guys like me to make a GUI for new people to use the game. kinda like RPG XP interface and stuff

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
First part LOL
This engine. came from a long way so far. im even expermenting with sliverlight to see if i can make games made in it web based!
So now comes an idea i had. Would you guys like me to make a GUI for new people to use the game. kinda like RPG XP interface and stuff
YESPLEASEGIVEMENOW!

*ahem* Uhh, yeah, that would be cool! I'd like to see it. ^.^;;

PinkCatDragon

Years
YESPLEASEGIVEMENOW!

*ahem* Uhh, yeah, that would be cool! I'd like to see it. ^.^;;
Some how i thought this my get you worked up a bit.
Today i just did some bug fixing upgrade to .net 4.0 and fix Tao.OpenAL issues.

As for my game engine ui. im thinking of haveing it run on of the engine it self just for convince.
it also allows me to try my hand at make UI tools.
Also im starting work on game mechinics mainly platforming since its the most popular

Last edited:

Bliss

Years
Some how i thought this my get you worked up a bit.
Today i just did some bug fixing upgrade to .net 4.0 and fix Tao.OpenAL issues.

As for my game engine ui. im thinking of haveing it run on of the engine it self just for convince.
it also allows me to try my hand at make UI tools.
Also im starting work on game mechinics mainly platforming since its the most popular
Pretty GUIs are always great, and knowing that we might get a UI for a prestigious engine like this is an awesome thought! I can't wait to see this thing's final release! :3

I wish I had some more free time, I'd try to help in any way that I could.. But alas, I barely have 5 minutes to check messages and replies on PC. :/

Good luck! Keep up the great work! :3

Bliss

Years
Added a quick scene class.
Splash(Videoform ref) runs my splash screen
Wait(Videoform ref,int seconds) Causes the system to wait
Flash(Videoform ref,int seoconds,RCD_Color c) Flashes screen.
That reminds me, I meant to ask this sooner..

Will the engine come with a preset for Pokemon bases? Like, we can choose "FireRed" or "Emerald" and it would automatically create a 'ROM base' that we could build onto?

Just thought I'd ask, since I thought about it.

PinkCatDragon

Years
This engine would be useable be with quite a bit stuff. but it will be used for many other games. if some one ports mono.net to nds then i focus a toolchain that way. but for rom bases there might be pokemon starter kit with that option

Bliss

Years
This engine would be useable be with quite a bit stuff. but it will be used for many other games. if some one ports mono.net to nds then i focus a toolchain that way. but for rom bases there might be pokemon starter kit with that option
Ah, that's what I meant to say.

After this project was announced, it reminded me of RPG Maker XP + Pokemon Essentials, so I was wondering if you had plans to implement a similar setup here, once things become stable.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that Pokemon Essentials was based entirely around Fire Red, and trying to recreate it as a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald starter kit was too much of a headache. So I'm hoping that your version has more user friendly options once it's ready for public consumerism.

Keep up the great work! You know you have plenty of people supporting you! :3

PinkCatDragon

Years
Not just yet. but in the near future a pokemon engine will be made.
Also i added a AutoTile System based off vx autotiles. if any one has infomation on rpg xp autotiles or a c#/ruby implamention of xp tiles?

Years
if any one has infomation on rpg xp autotiles or a c#/ruby implamention of xp tiles?

I don't remember exactly how XP's autotiles work, but I think it takes 16x16 inputs on 1 to 4 corners of tiles (instead of the normal 32x32 over the whole tile) and stitches them together in-game. Then for animations is basically the same method of above except that the starting x-offset would increase on each frame.

PinkCatDragon

Years
I don't remember exactly how XP's autotiles work, but I think it takes 16x16 inputs on 1 to 4 corners of tiles (instead of the normal 32x32 over the whole tile) and stitches them together in-game. Then for animations is basically the same method of above except that the starting x-offset would increase on each frame.
Thanks Umbreon ill try useing that

Years
After looking a bit at your engine, I have a bit of criticism to make, if you don't want to hear it, don't read any further.

• Why are some classes not marked as static when they obviously should be? (RCD_Graphics.AdvancedImageTools as an example)
  • You are using 2 different code styling types, example: "RCD_Graphics.RCD_Image.Draw_Image" conflicts with "RCD_Graphics.RCD_Image.DrawPixel" in terms of style (that underscore) also let's not forget about "CD_Graphics.RCD_Image.bit" which is a lowercase style instead of the usual uppercase style.
  • The keyboard class is located in RCD_Graphics, although it's an input module.
  • Your "Scene" class has 2 functions ("FrameDraw" and "TickUpdate") you should just leave it as "Draw" and "Update". (This is just a personal complaint, it doesn't really make a negative impact on the efficiency)
  • While I'm on the commenting on the "Scene" class, why don't you just add a type template to it so that the "Result" function would give out a specific value instead of needing to convert it to a specific type? (This isn't a complaint either, it's a suggestion)
  • Lack of documentation. (Although it's easy to understand what each function does, it still needs documentation since some people may get confused)
  • Your copyright is full of errors. (Such as "no reverse engineering" which engineering is misspelled (even if it wasn't, that won't be sufficient to legally stop decompilation of your engine))

I'll add some more criticism as I find things. (I really haven't even begun to look into it, this is just glancing over each class not looking too much in detail)

PinkCatDragon

Years
After looking a bit at your engine, I have a bit of criticism to make, if you don't want to hear it, don't read any further.

• Why are some classes not marked as static when they obviously should be? (RCD_Graphics.AdvancedImageTools as an example)
  • You are using 2 different code styling types, example: "RCD_Graphics.RCD_Image.Draw_Image" conflicts with "RCD_Graphics.RCD_Image.DrawPixel" in terms of style (that underscore) also let's not forget about "CD_Graphics.RCD_Image.bit" which is a lowercase style instead of the usual uppercase style.
  • The keyboard class is located in RCD_Graphics, although it's an input module.
  • Your "Scene" class has 2 functions ("FrameDraw" and "TickUpdate") you should just leave it as "Draw" and "Update". (This is just a personal complaint, it doesn't really make a negative impact on the efficiency)
  • While I'm on the commenting on the "Scene" class, why don't you just add a type template to it so that the "Result" function would give out a specific value instead of needing to convert it to a specific type? (This isn't a complaint either, it's a suggestion)
  • Lack of documentation. (Although it's easy to understand what each function does, it still needs documentation since some people may get confused)
  • Your copyright is full of errors. (Such as "no reverse engineering" which engineering is misspelled (even if it wasn't, that won't be sufficient to legally stop decompilation of your engine))

I'll add some more criticism as I find things. (I really haven't even begun to look into it, this is just glancing over each class not looking too much in detail)
Thanks umbreon. this is what ive need for a while to allow me to fix things
AdvancedImageTools is static class?? or should be

Last edited:
Back