• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Words that still trip you up

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Are there any words or phrases that trip you up all the time? I came up with this idea while telling my friend I was gonna, "cleanse my palette... No, wait. My palett— Er. Palate? Yeah, that's the one."

I also get tripped up on spelling words like occasionally or unnecessary. I never remember how many Cs vs Ss are in these words. Now that I see how they're the opposite of one another (two Cs and one S vs one C and two Ss) might help me FINALLY conquer these words.

There are also silly ones like intensive purposes rather than intents and purposes. Do any of you mess up on these turns of phrase? I thought I was wrong when I said case in point. Until I realized I was right and somehow felt like even more of an idiot than if I had just gotten it wrong in the first place.

As a writer, I always find it ironic to get tripped up on words that I use all the time.

Years
    Not sure if it counts, but I tend to repeat the same words a lot and then need to go back and replace them to make the story less repetitive. I also sometimes just write the completely wrong word for no identifiable reason.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I get so mad when I see the red squiggles when I'm writing lmfao. I don't know if this one counts, but Snezhnaya and Khaenri'ah trip me up a lot. Sometimes, I spell it as Shehnaya Sneznhaya and don't get me started on Khaenri'ah that word is impossible to remember. A feel like when I'm writing a lot of not easy to see Genshin proper nouns just trip me up.

Also, when I wrote my novel, to "say the least" was to "say in the least". I had to fix it often.

For any other words, can't think of any off the top of my head since in what I'm currently writing big technology words, the ones I can't spell to save my life don't need to written in this one, thankfully, otherwise maintenance would be high on the list. I had to have autocorrect fix that one for me yet again.

CiCi

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I get so mad when I see the red squiggles when I'm writing lmfao.
    Oh yes, I have been there so much lmao. It's always like I don't believe it as well. I'll think, "No, that's definitely a word, dammit. Look! I'll look it up in the diction— ... oh crap you're right it's not..."

Bay

Years
    I also keep mispelling occasionally a lot and also restaruant. As for phrases, I sometimes get mixed up when using the words, in, on, and at in sentences that I tend to have Word/Grammarly correct me on that.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I found out I've been saying/spelling "lackadaisical" wrong for my whole life. I've been adding an unnecessary "s" in the middle, so I was saying "lacks-a-day-sickle". That was special.

Also the word "etiquette". For the life of me I do not know why but I always misspell that one.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    Irregardless and regardless. (Not even half kidding, I was not really aware that in the few contexts that "irregardless" is kinda sorta allowed to exist, it means "regardless"!).

Other than that, anything related to occasion or opposition (how many repeated consonants and where) still trips me up, as well as append/prepend and affect/effect (which ones mean exactly what, and what prepositions or conjugations do they mingle with).

CiCi

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Cushion is another word that gets me. Struggled to spell it just now, but some miracle I got it right, and it just makes me wonder: where did the O come from????? Cusheeon

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I will always and forever regret naming one character "Siegfried".

Me whenever I spell my main oc's name wrong because it's an Irish word. The name doesn't trip me up, but sometimes I spell it so incredibly incorrectly I feel incredibly embarrassed. "How could I spell his name so incorrectly? I named him that!" Will not reveal the name just yet, though.

...Okay, here's another word that trips me up, embarrassed. When I was replying to this this thread, the red squiggles came up again and I had to autocorrect it. I'm sure it happens when I'm writing, too, Some words with double consonants are trippy.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2022
    Necessary, necessity, vacuum, receive. I always add extra letters or invert. Words with two sets of double consonants have the potential to make me pause, as well.

CiCi

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    So I've realized that I always struggle to spell inadvertently. I don't know why, but I want to spell it inadvertantly so bad. Maybe due to the phonetics?

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    Late but I think I've remembered two of my own nemesis words... first is suddenly which I've spelled as "suddenDly" for ages for some reason, and then embarrassing (wow, fits right in with this topic) because while I can understand the two S, the two R don't really make sense to me. In Italian you have imbarazzato (two Z but one R) which further contributes to the confusion... :)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I couldn't spell "forfeit" correctly for a while and now my phone keeps autocorrecting to "forfiet" >:(

other words i constantly misspell include recipe, receipt, fuchsia, and yeah any of the palate homophones are rough. theres more im sure lol but thats whats off the top of my head

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Guys, if i misspell occurred wrong one more time when I write my fanfiction, I'm going to riot. The amount of times I've misspelled this, despite writing it at least three times every section drives me up a wall. I think my brain just always forgets it has two consecutive cs in it, I hate it here.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    I feel your pain, it's one of those "is this like a hard c? is it a c or a cc? or a k?" cases that is so recurrent in English (here speaking aas an ESL).

Always happens to me with eg.: vaccuum vs vacuum which is a PITA given my field.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    words like occasionally or unnecessary. I never remember how many Cs vs Ss are in these words
    The same with successful😐

Back