• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writing Influences - For When You Begin

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    When you start a new prose, poem or even for some non-fiction, there's always something of an influence in which has led you to begin writing it. For many it continues to be the muse in which allows them to keep going, others just need that "kick start". An influence may be reading, an event in your life or even an aspiration to be as good as your favourite author.
    So my question is this; What influences you to write? What has influenced you to write something you've done in the past?

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2010
    Well, I don't write as much as I use to.. I've got too many [more important] obligations. Usually though, I'm influenced by events in my life/how I perceive the world.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
    Years
  • Mostly, I'm influenced by things I observe in the world around me. It could be something that someone does or says, or a situation on the news. I could just be sitting at home, listening to music, when an idea hits me. When I'm reading a book, a particular piece of dialogue can strike me as interesting, and lead me to a completely unrelated story idea. Usually, when I start writing, I begin with a picture of a single scene. All I need to do now is come up with a story that's associated with that image or conversation.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Many of my Pokémon stories stemmed from an urge to dive deeper into some unexplored phenomena in the Pokémon canon. For example, Metal Coat interpreted a flash of light (one that occurs after some dastardly baddies leave the climax in most games) as a forced summoning to the court of the most heartless judge in the world. Indebted observed the (un)usual life of a movie villain after the main events end, and how they are punished for their actions. Delta Species took Holon, the millions of Mew clones appearing in the media, and the Delta Pokémon and... well... I'm still writing it, so I don't want to spoil anything.

The point is, I take underdeveloped concepts and run with them. It's fun.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I got into writing in the first place because of the epic fail-ness of the anime. For the writing itself, I use real-world references that are somewhat based on my own interests and experiences.

Though nowadays I write mostly crackfics and you're better off not knowing where the inspiration for those come from XD

LampShade.

Fanfiction Writer
    Years
  • I write for power. I don't deny my testosterone-filled drive. Rather, I embrace it. Many people try to push this drive back, trying to be humble and all, but all that does is limit oneself. I write because I am fulfilling my instinctive impulse, I write to be free. And freedom is power.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • In the shower. No really. Particularly when I had writing blocks.

Less unusually, I get inspired for scenes and events by snatches of conversations I wasn't involved in at all, or my some story that happened to my friends last summer. Other times, I just sit and wonder about weird Pokémon things, like the Interdimensional Scream or why there are no Pokémon trainers in some places and no Pokémon Rangers in others.

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
    Years
  • Me? When I write, I use various inspirations. And ideas. Music helps.

And often, when I'm asleep, ideas come about.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I write for power. I don't deny my testosterone-filled drive. Rather, I embrace it. Many people try to push this drive back, trying to be humble and all, but all that does is limit oneself. I write because I am fulfilling my instinctive impulse, I write to be free. And freedom is power.

I have to admit that I too am guilty of this, the fact that other people are reading my work just feels so freaking empowering. Even getting criticism helps, as it helps my writing improve, allowing me to get more positive feedback in the future.

I also get much of my inspiration from books. Books of all genres help me develop ideas for plot, style, and even for characters. Seriously, the best writers are usually those who read the most extensively. Though I don't consider myself among those, I hope to be one eventually.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • What used to influence me is what I wished for in my life, but that was nearly six years ago. Now I get inspiration from my dreams and everyday activities. Whether or not its from some stupid conversation me and my friends have or some dark bad day, I use that. One time I even used the time I got high to work on my psychological thriller, but I wouldn't advise that to anyone. :)

Esmas

General
    Years
  • I just play video games and read books, and that gives me ideas about which features should be in the story. And I usually try to adapt my writing style to be like my writing influences, which would be C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Thinking of abstract concepts, historical scientific discoveries, scientific anomalies, the apparent plot-holes in canon just screaming to be filled, and how Pokemon work are just some of the things that contribute to how I come up with Fiction ideas. Sometimes, I get amazing dreams. XD

Butterfly Tears

Queen of Darkness
    Years
  • Heh, more often than not, when I start a new writing project, it's because I've had a really interesting/strange/obscure/out there dream.

Last edited:
    Back