• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Writing relationships

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
  • > implying I have any actual experience with romantic ones

Just about the only romantic one I have is that with my two little Nido OCs, you know the ones. It's a bit difficult to show the "romantic" part other than courtship rituals and the fact that they do take care of each other and that they raise litters together. I guess the way I try to write them is, when life happens, it happens to them both. Stuff happens to the "family unit" more than to a particular individual.

As for the platonic relationships I'd actually have to think them over. I'm not sure even of which ones or if there's actually a "how" in the "how do I write them", to be honest.

Bay

Years
  • Having written quite a bit of romance lately, it depends on the point of the two characters' romantic relationship are in at the moment. Some I wrote where there's a bit of slow burn going and some mutual pining that eventually ends with a kiss (or further if mutual pining has been going on for sometime). For established relationships, I tend to either have the two characters get used to seeing each other if they're starting or be very affectionate if they've already been together for a while.

With platonic relationships, I tend to have the characters admire and care for one another whether it be friends, family, or both.

Years
  • I don't write much in the way of romantic relationships, but the answer is much the same for platonic relationships anyway: it depends. Different relationships are built around different things. Mutual caring and trust are usually a part of it, at least for the healthy relationships, but beyond that they can be founded in anything.

What is important is that there is something there - a shared interest, belief or attitude - to build the relationship out from otherwise it will feel very forced and that makes it less enjoyable to read.

Back