• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X and Y Team Help

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2014
    Hey guys,

I cant say im new to pokemon and have been an avid fan over many years as im sure we all are here. Over the past few months I have been looking into building more into my teams other than if it works it works. Of course I do have pokemon I prefer but i'm struggling to fill in the gaps and would really appreciate some help with the the two other members missing in my team.

Alex

Friend Code : 0576 - 5803 - 5781

So my team currently consists of:

Dragonite
    Hydreigon
    Gengar - Mega when i've beaten the elite four :)
    Gardevior

And i'm needing 2 new members preferably things that would counteract potential weaknesses of what i currently have:

Please comment it would be a real help.

First Post !!!!! :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    is this an in-game team or competitive team? If you want help, i need more info!

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2014
    well abit of both really but i'm not really using it for competitive but i will be using it against a friend every once and a while and also be used for in game. Sorry for the confusing answer.

I'm sorry im not great with the extra info.

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
    Use the Pokemon you like the most, in my opinion Tiers are so unoriginal, i mean if you want to play for fun on a competitive scene you have over 700 options to choose from. Get what you like, not what others like :) (although, two dragons can be a problem)

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2014
    Yeah I know what you mean and to be honest those first 4 are possibly my faviorite of the francise. But my issue is I think that I need stuff that would be able to counteract and beat possible threats. This is what i'm really bad at I could really do with some helps about types that I should preferably choose or some suggestions.

Yeah I know the dragons do cause a bit of a weakness in my team but i'll work with that because they're so bad ass. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2014
    Okay i've added a porygon 2 into my team and i'm thinking mamoswine.
    what do people think?

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
    I think Mamoswine is a good addition! now talk about his why don't you include a physical attacker? I believe a Iron Fist Infernape could be a good addition... Fighting/Fire with access to Fire Punch? Base 75% + 20% Because of Iron Fist + 50% STAB? 130 Base power of doom if i am not mistaken. Combine that with power up punch for the 1.5 attack bonus... 150+ base damage for a fire punch... now if you could hold on your inferape to land a close combat? That monkey is pure doom, fragile but a fast and powerfull hitter if you can set him up.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I think Mamoswine is a good addition! now talk about his why don't you include a physical attacker? I believe a Iron Fist Infernape could be a good addition... Fighting/Fire with access to Fire Punch? Base 75% + 20% Because of Iron Fist + 50% STAB? 130 Base power of doom if i am not mistaken. Combine that with power up punch for the 1.5 attack bonus... 150+ base damage for a fire punch... now if you could hold on your inferape to land a close combat? That monkey is pure doom, fragile but a fast and powerfull hitter if you can set him up.

A STAB Flare Blitz still outdamages an Iron Fist-boosted Fire Punch; Flare Blitz is still the preferred option. Close Combat also sin't boosted by Iron Fist, while Power-Up Punch isn't worth bothering; Mach Punch is more useful due to the priority:
    -Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Thunder Punch
    -Mach Punch/Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 168 Atk/88 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Iron Fist

Mamoswine should look something like this. Yes, Freeze-Dry is there for Wash Rotom and some other Water Pokemon:
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Shard
    -Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear
    -Freeze-Dry/Superpower
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 244 Atk/12 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Thick Fat

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    One thing to note is that when Infernape is using Grass Knot, it actually does not need a specific EV spread as long as you have at least 30 SAtk IVs.

0- SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 395-468 (100.2 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

We personally don't think that Thunder Punch is too useful except for stray Gyaradoses. Azumarril and Talonflame both have super-effective priority against it while you can turn Charizard-Y's own sun against itself in for a KO it as long as you can keep SR on the field.

252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 201-238 (67.4 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

unless you are trying to hit them on the switch-in, of course. A pure mixed attacker have uses for Thunder Punch but a setup sweeper want to it with Swords Dance.

The value of Mach Punch is debatable. Terrakion isn't as popular as it used to be, so you lack targets. Most things faster than Infernape are also resistant or immune to Fighting - Lati@s, Talonflame, Pinsir (Quick Attack), Starmie, Alakazam, Gengar. It still is the best way to differ itself from Keldeo.
    Actually, there is one single instance where it might work. Charizard-X always survives a LO Close Combat for a Dragon Dance so Mach Punch becomes the means to KO it afterwards.

Infernape is a less optimal choice for a mixed attacker than Specs-Keldeo, unless you are really weak against bulky grass types. If you somehow manage to find one, use it, otherwise stick to the physically aligned Infernape with Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Thunder Punch and Mach Punch/Grass Knot (which is basically a worse Terrakion that is not walled by Aegislash).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    One thing to note is that when Infernape is using Grass Knot, it actually does not need a specific EV spread as long as you have at least 30 SAtk IVs.

0- SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 395-468 (100.2 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

We personally don't think that Thunder Punch is too useful except for stray Gyaradoses. Azumarril and Talonflame both have super-effective priority against it while you can turn Charizard-Y's own sun against itself in for a KO it as long as you can keep SR on the field.

252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 201-238 (67.4 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

unless you are trying to hit them on the switch-in, of course. A pure mixed attacker have uses for Thunder Punch but a setup sweeper want to it with Swords Dance.

The value of Mach Punch is debatable. Terrakion isn't as popular as it used to be, so you lack targets. Most things faster than Infernape are also resistant or immune to Fighting - Lati@s, Talonflame, Pinsir (Quick Attack), Starmie, Alakazam, Gengar. It still is the best way to differ itself from Keldeo.
    Actually, there is one single instance where it might work. Charizard-X always survives a LO Close Combat for a Dragon Dance so Mach Punch becomes the means to KO it afterwards.

Infernape is a less optimal choice for a mixed attacker than Specs-Keldeo, unless you are really weak against bulky grass types. If you somehow manage to find one, use it, otherwise stick to the physically aligned Infernape with Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Thunder Punch and Mach Punch/Grass Knot (which is basically a worse Terrakion that is not walled by Aegislash).

The reason for that specific EV spread allows Infernape to always OHKO Heatran with Close Combat, 2HKO Wash Rotom with CC after Stealth Rock and always OHKO Gliscor, Therian Landorus and Dragonite after Stealth Rock with HP Ice. Thunder Punch is a very important move for Infernape to have, since Azumarill and Talonflame are everywhere and having a move to hit them on the switch is nice.

ShadowGeralt

Ultimate Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    You can always try Volcarona and Lucario. They both kill quickly and will be good addition to your team!

Back