• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y newbie: turn off Exp Share or not?

Years
  • I have yet to play X/Y, but after reading about how the Exp.Share seems to ruin the game for many and make it way too easy, I'm not sure what to do. What's your opinion? How difficult would be game be with Exp.Share turned right off right at the beginning and how does it compare to the difficulty of previous games with it off.

Venun

Hoarding since 1985
    Years
  • Well. With wondertrade being so available and giving you plenty of fun pokemon to take in your team, the odds that nearly your full team is traded in (thus getting more exp) is high.

For me personally I experienced it all as very easy, even if I made choices to increase difficulty (like give them the type advantage), it still was way easier then previous games.

If you wish to increase difficulty I'd indeed choose to switch off the Exp Share. I was doing my best to stay under my level limit when going through the gyms :p that was a tough one. I had to switch out pokes and train others for awhile coz they were getting to high :)

FifePokemon

AlShao
    Years
  • I had the exp share on for a little while so that my team was of reasonable strength, after that i turned it off because i enjoy training pokemon individually. I think its personal preference.

Years
  • I suggest turning it off. I am a complete newbie to the series. This is my first Pokemon game, ever. I am only to route eight, and despite levelling up almost 20 different Pokemon, my guys are still a little strong with exp share off.

I tried exp share for part of route seven and it was ridiculous. Everyone was gaining levels like crazy. If you want the game to be any sort of challenge, disable it.

Years
  • When I first played through X, I had the Exp. Share on for over half of the game, but would turn it off on occasion. At the time of the final battle against Lysandre, my entire team was Level 53-55 save Xerneas (his highest was 53), and at the last Gym (which I did the same day) my team was Level 59/60, and I then turned it on again in Victory Road. When I came out and reached the league my team was around Level 65 each and I immediately entered the league. I did kinda go easy on them just to see what they had, but the Champion I steamrolled in six turns.

So yeah, if you're trying to get through the game quickly i'd keep the Exp. Share on, but I like to keep it off most of the time in challenges and such.

Years
  • I used the Exp. Share in my first run through X (and I'm still using it) because given how busy I am I have to spend a quick time grinding as much as possible, and I know some people were upset because it made their team overleveled if they left it on too much.

You should only turn it off if you're someone who cares about having a challenge, since leaving it disabled for too long means you may find yourself underleveled against a strong, important trainer.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    keep on if you are busy/dont have time tog rind. Turn off if you dont meet the prior criteria :)

Years
  • You'll level up your team members very easily without much effort with the Exp. Share on, yes; I hardly even did any training outside trainers I ran into and was still overleveled most of the time. Ended up keeping it off for majority of the game as I found things too easy with the changes applied to it.

Only really turned it on to train new, weak party members so I didn't have to switch back and forth. It really depends what you're looking to do as X/Y are already pretty easy games so keeping it off won't make things that much more difficult (my personal opinion).

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • It's recommended to keep the Exp. Share on, because it helps my Pokémon gain levels a lot. It makes it a tad bit easier, but it's better, for me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    The game isn't ever difficult if you know what types are weak to what and what types the pokemon you are against are, keep it off. It is useful for EV training, only time I ever have it on.

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • I am currently playing through the game for the first time, and I am keeping it OFF. Using it just makes the game far too quick and easy, and I'd rather train my Pokémon legitimately rather than using machines to pump EXP. gained from overpowered Pokémon into their blood.

Back