• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2014
    so i read this quick blurb saying that someone found a mew in x and y in a patch of hidden grass near the cave where you catch your legendary bird. has anyone heard this at all?

heres the quote from the site

Dr Nintendo
    JANUARY 2, 2014 AT 2:02 PM
    i actually found mew but there's one problem.
    it occurs only in one place once its in a patch of grass near where you fight zapdos but the patch of grass is hidden away it took me almost three hours to find it if you want proof i'll post the picture aswell of my shiny blue mew on pokemon amie !

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    so i read this quick blurb saying that someone found a mew in x and y in a patch of hidden grass near the cave where you catch your legendary bird. has anyone heard this at all?

Dr Nintendo
    it occurs only in one place once its in a patch of grass near where you fight zapdos but the patch of grass is hidden away it took me almost three hours to find it if you want proof i'll post the picture aswell of my shiny blue mew on pokemon amie !

Dr Nintendo

A shiny Mew in a patch of grass IN-GAME? That sounds incredibly fake.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2014
    i figured it was i just thought i put it out there to see if it was confirmed as afake. and sorry i think my computer is double posting somehow.

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    Hey guys had a question for you.

I'm semi new at EV training and I want to get more into it.

I'm just a little unsure about which pokemon I should collect in order to get the max stats out of them.

Should I mainly only look for Pokes who get the "outstanding" rating from the stat judge or are pokes who get the "superior" rating still worth it too?

Outstanding means its perfect, right?

Also, say for example someone says they have a 6IV timid Abra, that means he got the outstanding and then judge mentioned all 6 stats couldn't be beat ? Am I looking at this correctly?

AB-80

Been Down Since Day One.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    VGC Rule Questions

The pokemon have to meet 3 criteria, but I'm a little confused..

First, pokemon have to be from Kalos Pokedex regions.
    But then second, it states pokemon must have blue pentagon, signifying they originate from x and y. Pokémon that transfer via transporter are not eligible.

So how do you guys interpret this rule? If they are from Kalos, then why the need to state the second rule? Does this mean for example, we can't use pokemon starters from previous gens? Even if we breeded them IN x and y?

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    The blue pentagon is actually a way to tell if the pokemon was obtained through a legitimate way. It must have the blue pentagon so that they know it was not hacked/cheated for. These are two completely separate rules, because someone could have a hacked Garchomp (Also in the Kalos region) from black version that they try to use.

To answer your other question, no you can't use starter pokemon from previous gens, except for gen 1. Only pokemon that are possible to capture in the Kalos region are allowed to participate. Keep in mind this doesn't mean all pokemon transferred will not be ale to participate. If it can be obtained in x or y and you transfer it you should still be able to use it in the tournaments.

At least, by my understanding this is how it works anyway. If I am wrong someone will correct me. Hope this helps. You should probably also use the quick Q and A thread next time too, because this thread will just get moved there anyway.

AB-80

Been Down Since Day One.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    I just think its so dumb. Why not just open up the whole pokedex instead of just limiting it to Kalos? Theres ~450 pokemon in the Kalos dex. Just let use the whole thing (minus the legendaries of course). I understand they are trying to promote the game, but they don't need to do that. You can't even get in a tournament without the game anyway. I don't see the point.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    The point is for people to find new strategies using the new pokemon. What's the point of adding anything new if everyone is going to use the same pokemon they always use and never change their strategy up? If anything was allowed then less people would be willing to explore strategies with new pokemon.

Besides, I think these rules only apply for this first VGC, I think the next ones will allow everything to participate. Not sure about that though, so don't take my word for it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Should I mainly only look for Pokes who get the "outstanding" rating from the stat judge or are pokes who get the "superior" rating still worth it too?

It depends how picky you are. A Pokemon with "superior" stats will still perform very well as long as its main stats (for example, this could be Attack and Speed for a sweeper) have IVs that "can't be beat". I personally am not patient enough to put in the time to breed a Pokemon with perfect IVs :P

However, if you're aiming for perfection, then you should only go for "outstanding". "Superior" Pokemon can still be useful for breeding a perfect Pokemon though, so long as they have some stats that "can't be beat".

Outstanding means its perfect, right?

No, a rating of "outstanding" doesn't necessarily mean the IVs are perfect, but it means they're at least near perfect. The judge needs to say all 6 stats "can't be beat" in order for the IVs to be perfect.

Also, say for example someone says they have a 6IV timid Abra, that means he got the outstanding and then judge mentioned all 6 stats couldn't be beat ? Am I looking at this correctly?

Yep.

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    It depends how picky you are. A Pokemon with "superior" stats will still perform very well as long as its main stats (for example, this could be Attack and Speed for a sweeper) have IVs that "can't be beat". I personally am not patient enough to put in the time to breed a Pokemon with perfect IVs :P

However, if you're aiming for perfection, then you should only go for "outstanding". "Superior" Pokemon can still be useful for breeding a perfect Pokemon though, so long as they have some stats that "can't be beat".

No, a rating of "outstanding" doesn't necessarily mean the IVs are perfect, but it means they're at least near perfect. The judge needs to say all 6 stats "can't be beat" in order for the IVs to be perfect.

Yep.

So if I have a pokemon that I have got the superior rating and then he says 4 different stats "cant be beat" does that mean this pokemon is a 4IV pokemon or is it only considered a 4IV pokemon if i got the outstanding rating?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    So if I have a pokemon that I have got the superior rating and then he says 4 different stats "cant be beat" does that mean this pokemon is a 4IV pokemon or is it only considered a 4IV pokemon if i got the outstanding rating?

If the judge says the Pokemon's stats are superior, and then lists lets say, attack, defense and speed and says they can't be beat (or can't be better, idr which), that means that Pokemon will have 31 in those 3 listed stats.

Outstanding is what he'll say if the IVs of your Pokemon add up to any number in between 151 and 186.

So in conclusion, the stats that the IV judge lists are the ones you have 31 in. Outstanding, superior etc don't actually matter, they just give you an idea of what your IVs add up to etc.

Hope you understand that lol, I may have trailed off.

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    If the judge says the Pokemon's stats are superior, and then lists lets say, attack, defense and speed and says they can't be beat (or can't be better, idr which), that means that Pokemon will have 31 in those 3 listed stats.

Outstanding is what he'll say if the IVs of your Pokemon add up to any number in between 151 and 186.

So in conclusion, the stats that the IV judge lists are the ones you have 31 in. Outstanding, superior etc don't actually matter, they just give you an idea of what your IVs add up to etc.

Hope you understand that lol, I may have trailed off.

Ok I understand the first part completely.

But what exactly is the difference between Outstanding and Superior then?

Outstanding is better right? But it is a significant difference?

Perriechu

Years
    Ok I understand the first part completely.

But what exactly is the difference between Outstanding and Superior then?

Outstanding is better right? But it is a significant difference?

Okay let's start from the beginning.

When you choose a Pokemon for the judge to examine he can say 4 phrases;

"Decent", "Above average", "Relatively superior" and "Outstanding"

Depending on what phrase he says is what your Pokemon's IVs add up to.

So, if he says "Decent", the total of all 6 IVs are in between 0 and 90.

It's really to just get an idea of how good their IVs are all together. So if he says "Outstanding" you know that your Pokemon will have some very good IVs, however if he says "Decent" you'll have some terrible stats. "Above average" means that well, lol, they're above average stats and "Relatively superior" is superior stats. :)

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    So I'm really just looking for a Pokemon with 2 or 3 perfect IVs, the super or outstanding rating really doesn't matter then? But If i'm looking for a pokemon with all 6 perfect ivs, it needs to be outstanding? Am I right here? I'm just a little confused about the whole "total" IV part.

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
    Crossbows isn't entirely correct. The pentagon means the Pokémon was caught/hatched in X and Y. Any Pokémon you wish to use in a VGC tournament, as well as the current Special Season on Battle Spot, must have this pentagon. The Pokémon also has to appear in the one of the three Kalos PokéDexes. The first rule means that nothing sent over through the PokéTransporter can be used.

Perriechu

Years
    So I'm really just looking for a Pokemon with 2 or 3 perfect IVs, the super or outstanding rating really doesn't matter then? But If i'm looking for a pokemon with all 6 perfect ivs, it needs to be outstanding? Am I right here? I'm just a little confused about the whole "total" IV part.

No, what really matters is the stats he lists after the phrase part.

And yes, if your Pokemon has 6 perfect IVs he'll say "Outstanding"

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

This is still considered a 4IV Pokemon. A 4IV Pokemon is simply a Pokemon with maximum IVs in 4 different stats. If it's only "superior" overall, then the other two stats must be pretty bad. But this might not matter, depending on your strategy.

The overall rating matters because it gives you an idea of how good the non-perfect stats are (assuming you have some perfect ones). But yes, a Pokemon with 6 perfect IVs will always be outstanding.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022

Just to be clear, a Pokemon has six individual values, that correspond to HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense and Speed. Each IV is a random number from 0 to 31.

What the IV judge does is:
    • give a rating based on how high the sum of the 6 IVs is: decent = 0 to 90, above average = 91 to 120, relatively superior = 121 to 150, outstanding = 151 to 186.
    • list the highest stat(s) and how high they are (details in the spoiler)
      Spoiler:

So if you only want 2-3 perfect IVs and don't care at all about the other IVs, then you can just skip the first rating; then you need to pay attention to the particular stats that he lists to see if they're the ones you want, and make sure he says that they "can't be beat". That's how you know that they are in fact 31.

If you want only 2-3 perfect IVs and still have decent IVs in the other stats, then yes, the higher the overall rating, the better. So yes, if the Pokemon has 6 perfect IVs, then the sum is 186 and he will be rated as "outstanding".

Hope this helps :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2014
    What to do now?

I've finished the game (Pokemon X, beat the Elite Four and the Champion) and now I'm in Kiloude City. I'm wondering if there's anything else to do/explore now I've finished the storyline?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back