• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Yellow vs tv show

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    I have always wanted to follow the tv show in my Pokemon yellow evolve and catch what ever ash catches? Anyone else do this in their Pokemon yellow?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Despite not watching that much of the anime I did do this to an extent when I gave Yellow a playthrough, in that I bothered keeping Pikachu and used all three starters, plus the Lapras in my team. But I didn't pay much attention to other Pokemon Ash had in his team to be honest, haha. I think I just went with those because starter Pokmeon tended to be useful and added variety to the team as it was, and I liked Lapras.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I wanted to use more Pokemon than Ash did, so no, I didn't exactly follow the anime in that regard. However, I did keep Pikachu on my team, as well as all of the starters (though I evolved those), and I did train a Butterfree, etc. Ultimately, though, I started with a Pikachu + starters core and then expanded as I saw fit. I do appreciate the anime elements that the game incorporates, though; it gives it a different flavor than many of the other Pokemon games, and even though Jessie and James were easy to beat, I enjoyed the extra encounters and moments of dialogue.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I did this when I first played Yellow - at the time I thought it was super cool. Haven't done it since though because Ash really isn't that good.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Hmm great idea, but that means no Eevee = no Eeveelutions

Hmm does catching Haunter counts as following the show?

And how suppose to we have to beat Brock using only Pegeotto, Pikachu and Butterfree? Waaait, Butterfree

Guest123_x1

Despite Yellow being marketed as a tie-in with the anime, I always played the game my own way (although on my first near-full run, I spoiled my starter Pikachu), limitations notwithstanding.
    Most of the game still plays like Red, Green, and Blue, to be realistic. Despite the fact that the starter Pikachu can't evolve, the Bulbasaur and Squirtle that you get in-game can. Through the entirety of the game, you're still walking by yourself, playing as Red, and have nothing more than Pikachu following you if it's in your party.

I almost always kept the starter Pikachu in my party throughout the game. That tradition carried on to all other Pokémon games that I've played.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I actually didn't do this! I should have though, that would have been fun actually. Maybe I might do it when I ever decide to play it again. It really was a great game, I spent endless hours absorbed in it. I distinctly remember having a full bird-type team consisting of the legendary trio Zapdos, Moltres and Articuno, Pidgeot, Dodrio and Fearow. Not bad if I do say so myself, they did dominate!

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
  • I've kept Pikachu 'till the end. To be honest, I didn't felt like evolving it even when I had the opportunity (Crystal and Pearl/Platinum, even in B/W(2)). I got severely attached. But I didn't keep the starters unevolved, only once I tried and I was mad already at Misty.
    I still don't get how Ash even did it so far.

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
  • I've kept Pikachu 'till the end. To be honest, I didn't felt like evolving it even when I had the opportunity (Crystal and Pearl/Platinum, even in B/W(2)). I got severely attached. But I didn't keep the starters unevolved, only once I tried and I was mad already at Misty.
    I still don't get how Ash even did it so far.
    Ash uses a Pro Action Replay.

I always went off on my own tangent when I played the games. Limiting myself to Ash's Pokemon was basically asking me to get smashed by the champion.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • You sure you don't want a Mankey? Surely that's the way the game is more set-up - anyway, you don't necessarily want to just catch the same Pokémon as someone else supposedly taking a similar path, unless you just want to show that you can use them better. Which, I mean, I think that anyone can beat Brock more impressively, but you sort of like Mankey for that reason, it really embodies the spirit of their battle in the anime. It has a fairly brief mileage, though, because it's not so much playing the game as trying to let the game play you, while perhaps the game itself doesn't want to go in that direction. In any case, it's mostly about a person's personal relation to a Pikachu, thematically, so you'd probably intend to play it personally, as otherwise if you tried to emulate the other Pikachu, you'd possibly be missing the point of both and it seems slightly futile. Speaking of which, you may take as your motto, "Why don't you go train at the Lighthouse? Who knows. It may make you a bit less weak!" Follow the yellow rodent, not the other yellow rodent's yellow-rodent-tamer.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Yeah my feelings exactly
    Yeah...I'm inclined to agree completely!

pls he isnt
    Haha

You sure you don't want a Mankey? Surely that's the way the game is more set-up - anyway, you don't necessarily want to just catch the same Pokémon as someone else supposedly taking a similar path, unless you just want to show that you can use them better. Which, I mean, I think that anyone can beat Brock more impressively... Follow the yellow rodent, not the other yellow rodent's yellow-rodent-tamer.
    I mean, I think a lot of people find it fun to follow the anime just for the sake of being able to . People might take enjoyment in following in his footsteps; maybe he's their idol.

pkmin3033

I did this with my first Yellow file! Although that meant I was stuck with five Pokemon for the majority of the game, as I released my Caterpie after I evolved it into Butterfree, and I also released my Mankey after I evolved it into Primeape...and I never evolved my Bulbasaur or Squirtle. I just thought that was the thing to be done, haha. I didn't conspire to lose against Gym Leaders though, and I cheated and used Articuno against the Elite Four, because Lance.

I won't be doing it when the games are re-released...well, I'll use Pikachu, all three starters, and probably Pidgey until I get Articuno, but my sixth will be an Abra if I can get my hands on one without wasting too many balls.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I mean, I always had the desire to do this when I was younger... but I just never did.

Nothing against Ash or the anime, but even given all the unique opportunities you get in Yellow, I still always ended up making my own adventure out of it. I just can't help it - that's how I play the games. Besides, sometimes you just can't help but deviate even a little. Like Illumine said, that Mankey really helps at the beginning...

Back