• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] You can't really RP alone

Years
  • So, given that this is not a solo endeavour, other RPers and their characters are bound to have an impact on what we do. How do the people you RP with (and their characters) impact what you and your character do?

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • The best thing I think is... the way other people's characters open up your mind to situations and interactions you wouldn't have executed on your own. It's a lot more natural and makes you truly consider your character within different contexts. It's a really interesting method for character development!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The best thing I think is... the way other people's characters open up your mind to situations and interactions you wouldn't have executed on your own. It's a lot more natural and makes you truly consider your character within different contexts. It's a really interesting method for character development!
    Been trying to figure out a good reply to this thread, but you really just said it all very well.

The feeling of having another character's actions be out of your control and having your own react to it is a thrill, to be honest. To not have the whole plan in your mind because you'll never know what the other part is going to do next; to have to react instead of planning, that's what's keeping things interesting for me, on top of what Annie said.

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
    Years
  • The best thing I think is... the way other people's characters open up your mind to situations and interactions you wouldn't have executed on your own. It's a lot more natural and makes you truly consider your character within different contexts. It's a really interesting method for character development!

Yeah, I do agree, the way how the interaction between characters from different people work helps a lot in realizing a lot of aspects that you don't realize yourself. I think this hit me the most when I got a response from a player that was on a joint post with me that made me realize personality flaws that I couldn't see if I do it myself because of the different perspectives they bring. Whether you don't realize that you accidentally made your character acts too cocky, haughty, etc. JPs are a great medium to explore those personality you wouldn't realize on your own

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I have an odd habit of imitating others, sometimes without even realizing it. I'll pick up mannerisms, grab jokes. Honestly looking back on it I'm pretty sure that's just how I built my personality. Just stacking on a bunch of stuff I liked until I got where I am today. As for RP though, usually I try to keep in mind my partner's fun. It's a simple lesson I learned that if you're both having fun the fun lasts longer!

Back