• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Opinion on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

What do you think about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

• It is the best game to ever grace mankind with it's presence!

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It is great!

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • it is ok at best.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I am on the IGN boat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Boured

The Guildmaster
Years
  • Hello there today I would like to ask you a question. What is your opinion on the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series do you think it is good,great,the best game to grace mortal kind, who knows it's your opinion also do you think the series will die off or will it get better?

Now for my opinion on the series I think sense I have only played the first two games is the best game to ever grace mankind with it's presence it has great storytelling,characters, and don't get me started on the ending let's just say it makes a 14 year old ball his eyes out every time also I think it will not die if it still has a lot of fans and they are demanding another installment then they will get one and hopefully it is better than the others.

So........what are your thoughts?

Years
  • The first games for the DS, the Rescue Team games and especially the Explorers games, were quite awesome. Explorers of Sky in particular had so much to do, the Rescue Team games were great too, not quite as good as Explorers of Sky but there were some advantages they had. Gates to Infinity, however, there was a lot to like about it but it was not what the originals were.

But for the most part it was a fun concept, and it always gets so sad when you beat the game! So if they ever do make one with Kalos Pokémon hopefully they can do it right.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I'm working on a little story about the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. It isn't easy, but I still enjoy it.

That being said, I think that PMD is... okay. The gameplay is annoying, but I like the the story and the setting. It isn't my favourite Pokémon game, but I certainly don't think it's bad like IGN.

My favourite game of the PMD series is Explorers of Time. The original didn't have much of a story and GTF kind of bored me.

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2019
    I got Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness when I was 11 and was bored by it. When I got back into Pokemon and Nintendo Again, The only game I had for a while was That same Explorers of Darkness. Now I am half way through the game and loving it! I'm a torchic and my partner is Squirtle! I think MD is amazing!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Before I dived into Game Cube games, PMDs were totally my favorite spin-off games.
    I still love the concept and I gotta say I liked them more than main games. =)
    The stories were much more deeper than in main games, more touching.
    And playing as Pokemon is simply fantastic =D That's really a selling point of these games.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • I'm working on a little story about the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. It isn't easy, but I still enjoy it.

That being said, I think that PMD is... okay. The gameplay is annoying, but I like the the story and the setting. It isn't my favourite Pokémon game, but I certainly don't think it's bad like IGN.

My favourite game of the PMD series is Explorers of Time. The original didn't have much of a story and GTF kind of bored me.

Cool I would love to read it what is it called?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I loved the Explorers games. They were fairly long, and I thought the plotline was good. I enjoyed the originals as well, but thought the Explorers series was a big step up in terms of mechanics. The 3DS version was pretty good, but didn't seem as fleshed out and offered fewer Pokemon to play as than the Explorers games.

One of the things I love about the PMD series is that there's actually an emphasis on the story. Unlike in the main games, where the story is pretty bland (let's face it, you get eight badges, typically encounter an evil team and defeat them, usually around the seventh badge), I found these games compelling, and wanted to keep playing so I could find out what happened next.

Auris

Working on my Nat Dex
    Years
  • Sky is the best storyline in a game I've ever played.

The special missions >>>>>>>

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Mystery Dungeon is my absolute favorite thing in the entire Pokémon franchise.

Of course, as others have already mentioned, the story is probably its strongest point, though I can't really speak for Gates to Infinity. I've played through Time/Sky a total of 3 times, and I cried at least twice during each playthrough.

But the story isn't the only good thing about it, though. I honestly find the gameplay in the Mystery Dungeon series to be much more engaging than the main series. In the main series, I usually just rush through the game so I can get to the post game content, but in Mystery Dungeon, I'm actually enjoying the game as I progress.

I really hope that the Mystery Dungeon series doesn't die, and I hope even more that the story of the next game(s) could live up to the "Explorers" titles.

Nakala Pri

Even though I've only ever played Gates to Infinity, I totally loved it.

I watched my siblings play the Blue version and I was so jealous. xD So in 2013 I got my very own Mystery Dungeon game! <3 It's amazing and it's probably my favourite game.

I like how it's about friendship, and the sacrifices that come with it. :D

(GTI was the first game to ever make me cry sssh)

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    i think the games are great! and i also cried playing through Explorers of Sky. i love forming my own team and everything, and though the dungeon-crawling may be simplistic, i think it's actually nice. i don't always need to rack my brain to have fun in games, and generally the storyline is great enough to make up for it anyway!

sadly though one of my favourite features of PMD is the personality test and the many playable pokémon, but then Gates To Infinity came along and there were only 5 to pick from... i really hope they bring the broad selection back in future games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Sadly, I haven't tried much Mystery Dungeon games in my life, so I don't believe I could say much about the series.

Of all PMD games I have played, I would say my most favorite would likely have to be Red Rescue Team (is this the correct name?) for Game Boy Advance, since that is the one I've spent most amount of time playing, if I recall. It was great! Second favorite would be Explorer of Sky.

I've always wanted to give Gates to Infinity a shot, but unfortunately, it seemed to have gotten some low rating, which had kept me away from buying the game.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I really like it and have become attached to my partner lol. I remember renting Mystery Dungeon: Sky from blockbuster and just having to get my own copy to figure out the whole story. It's a good game that I have already replayed twice.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I think they're surprisingly fun and the story was surprisingly good for a Pokemon game. My only complaint is how you can't evolve yourself or teammates for so long. It would be a lot more fun if you could before the end of the game...

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Ahhh i love mystery dungeon *-*

I have probably said this umpteen times in posts before, but PMD Red Rescue was what got me into pokemon in the first place. I have sooo many good memories playing through the games over the years, and overall the music is absolutely amazing throughout the series. Plot wise the first two games are great, so i really have no complaints.

Well, excluding gates. It was good, but not up to par with the first two. I mean, the music and graphics were nice, but i feel like i had to force myself into enjoying the story. I hope they add another to the series though, i would hate to see it die off. Honestly I'll play it even if it gets a horrible rating :3

Years
  • Sadly, I haven't tried much Mystery Dungeon games in my life, so I don't believe I could say much about the series.

Of all PMD games I have played, I would say my most favorite would likely have to be Red Rescue Team (is this the correct name?) for Game Boy Advance, since that is the one I've spent most amount of time playing, if I recall. It was great! Second favorite would be Explorer of Sky.

I've always wanted to give Gates to Infinity a shot, but unfortunately, it seemed to have gotten some low rating, which had kept me away from buying the game.

Well basically you tried most of them lol

I mean there are three series of the games, and they are all pretty much the same within the series. So if you played Sky, you also know what Time and Darkness are like, same with Red/Blue. :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Well basically you tried most of them lol

I mean there are three series of the games, and they are all pretty much the same within the series. So if you played Sky, you also know what Time and Darkness are like, same with Red/Blue. :D

Ah, I didn't think about that; Red Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky are the only ones I've played, but if they cover other games from series, that's great! I used to believe each title had something unique to them for distinguishing purposes and whatnot, but if there aren't much differences, it likely won't be worth it to try their counterparts, haha.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • It's a fun serie, I really love the plot. But it's not a series I'd choose over the main games. They're kinda difficult compared to the main games, but the plot is really good. I'd probably buy more Mystery Dungeon games but it's not something I'd play over and over.

Years
  • Ah, I didn't think about that; Red Rescue Team and Explorers of Sky are the only ones I've played, but if they cover other games from series, that's great! I used to believe each title had something unique to them for distinguishing purposes and whatnot, but if there aren't much differences, it likely won't be worth it to try their counterparts, haha.

There aren't that many differences. they are mostly based on version-exclusive Pokemon and maybe items or something loike that.
    The only differences I can think of are, Blue/red are on different consoles. Blue is for DS and Red is for GBA, and with the second series, Sky has more content.

On the other side, stories are much deeper and complex then those in the main series, so if one is in for the story more then for the mechanics, I'd suggest them to replay it. I'll be replaying both series. I played Red and Darkness, now I finally found Sky and will play it, and Blue once I get my hands on it.

Back