• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixto

Sofa King Cool
Years
  • Otters are my favorite animal, I like Mijumaru as my starter. I would like to say I came up with 'Wotter' as the official English name, but then I realized it wasn't that hard to figure out and noticed a lot of other forums using it. XD

I also like Hydra-esque, pseudo Dragon.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    They're all pretty cool in my opinion. My favorite so far has been Emonga for no reason other than I think flying squirrels are win.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    But I really wish Dasutodasu and Maggyo rise to meme status soon... They're gradually progressing to that point, though. Maybe the English releases will help... Hopefully I can see their entries on Know Your Meme soon, becuase Tsutarja/Smugleaf got noted there pretty quick!

I think a lot more than them will become memes. There's just so much choice, tbh - which makes people have negative thoughts about B/W, because they judge them as a whole and the public view, rather than anything else, idk.

But still, surprising Maggyo is disliked more than the trash bag, but at least it gives Mijumaru a break from being the only one hated (originally). :D

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• I think a lot more than them will become memes. There's just so much choice, tbh - which makes people have negative thoughts about B/W, because they judge them as a whole and the public view, rather than anything else, idk.

But still, surprising Maggyo is disliked more than the trash bag, but at least it gives Mijumaru a break from being the only one hated (originally). :D

Yeah...I'm awaiting what memes the BW Pokemon will spawn, and how funny they'll be.

I completely forgot about Mijumaru in all this! Out of all the new BW Pokemon besides Tsutarja, he does seem the closest to meme status...though portrayed in a negative light. :( But apparently Maggyo is absorbing some of the hate...for now. Awaiting Spring 2011 to see how everything plays out. ;)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

• Speaking of Maggyo/Flounderp

flatfish_large.jpg

Pretty much sums that critter up. :/ Welcome to memeness and competitive obscurity.

Awwww.. This makes me like Maggyo a little more. It is such a Dunsparce. They look so alike!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah...I'm awaiting what memes the BW Pokemon will spawn, and how funny they'll be.

I completely forgot about Mijumaru in all this! Out of all the new BW Pokemon besides Tsutarja, he does seem the closest to meme status...though portrayed in a negative light. :( But apparently Maggyo is absorbing some of the hate...for now. Awaiting Spring 2011 to see how everything plays out. ;)

I knowww, I feel so bad for Mijumaru. XD;

But it's the same audience tbh? XD I mean, a lot have looked up the B/W Pokemon, etc, and the rest have played the games, it's like, not primarily the Japanese audience that thinks of these memes. I think with more exposure, rather than more gameplay, they will be developed as memes.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • So I hatched a modest Meraruba, and let me tell you, if you like Ulgamoth, get ready 'cause raising this little sob is a pain in the arss. Great attack (85) but it's useless after it evolves (60) yet it mostly learns physical moves (once every ten levels, ugh), so you're basically forced to raise something with its best stat lowered because you really don't want a nature that will lower Ulgamoth's frail defense, supreme spA, great spD and good speed, lol. Needless to say, I will be jumping through the roof when my mothbabby gets to level 59, XD.

But, it is so worth it; Ulgamoth, along with Yanmega, is the only bug with quadrupled weakness to Rock (specifically, Stealth Rock) that you should ever use, because man do these things win at life or what, hah. I admittedly was put off at first by its popularity, but once the hype dies down, the true fans will stick and the posers will move onto other things, just like they did with Yanmega (when DP came out, Yanmega was the bees' knees... by the time Platinum was out and about for a good while, Yanmega's use decreased significantly).

Either way, this thing is so much epic win, and its ability (Flame Body) which I originally thought useless, may be more useful than I thought; max HP / max Def Ulgamoth makes it usable. Yes, you read correctly, max HP / max Def, so that it makes the best use of Butterfly Dance; 85 / 65 / 105 isn't amazing, but it's far from terrible, and max spA / spE isn't fantastic because it leaves him frail to strong attacks, even if they're neutral. I have yet to use Ulgamoth competitively, but I frequent Smogon and it seems with max offenses most of the time you end up B-Dancing but getting killed by a strong move anyway, which I can see happening with that horrible Rock weak. :c

Its design has grown on me a lot, but I'm still bothered by the anatomy, waaangst. It's more like Mothra and less like an actual moth, lol; the body itself is fine, but those wings, those wings, THOSE WIIINGS. Those are not moth wings, those are Winx Club faerie wings! XD Mind you, I love the Winx Club series (why yes, not only do I love faeries, I actually believe that faeries exist, though rest assured not all faeries are pretty... or winged for that matter, lol), so it's not the end of the world, but I still wish for real moth wings. Regardless, Ulgamoth has finally put at end to my lepidopteran quest: every gen, I ask, "Pokedex, pokedex in my bag, who is the best and fairest lepidopteran of them all?" It started with Butterfree and Venomoth, which are pretty decent, then they gave us crap (Beautifly, Dustox) and one alright moth (Masquerain), and finally, Mothim came with the arrival of DP. But now, I no longer need to ask the question (my pokedex will be so happy), for I know the truth to be Ulgamoth, aka the best and fairest lepidopteran of them all.

...I still love Butterfree, Venomoth, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain and Mothim, but seriously, looks do not win battles. Thank Arceus for Venomoth's Tinted Lens last gen, honestly, because between the horrible amount of weak and the craptastic stat spread (ALL of them have offences *and* defenses below 100... ridiculous!) and everything getting strongers, these things just do not stand a chance. I'm so glad they stopped making useless bugs, specifically, useless lepidopterans (if you must know, lepidopterans are my fave insects, along with dragonflies and wasps).

Finally, I must say, I think GF must regret making un-epic bugs, that's why they created Ulgamoth; with her Fire STAB and Bug resistance, there's very few bugs who will not die if / when engulfed in Ulgamoth's flames, lol. She is a fat flammable weapon of moth mass destruction, seriously. XD

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    Alright. I'm back again, and this time i want to hear everyones opinion on Tsunbear.

Spr_5b_614.png

Looking at him first, i didn't give a sh*t, and with good reason. 50 base speed and pure Ice typing? that's not a good combination. His bulk isn't terrible, but having a weakness to Stealth Rock and the very popular Fire and Fighting type moves isn't very good.

Then i noticed that he gets Swift Swim in the Dream World. That pretty cool. He's the only non-water type to have it (aswell as the only Ice type to have it). His movepool could have been better (No earthquaqe) but it's definitely not bad. He has acces to a new powerful physical ice move, Icicle drop, which has base power of 85. Not bad. He also gets Stone Edge, Night Slash and Brick Break for some nice coverage.

I heard some people saying that he's outclassed by Mamoswine. But there are two things that seperates Tsunbear from him. The first is Swift Swim, which makes Tsunbear much faster that Mamoswine unless he is carying a Choice Scarf. The other is great boosting moves. Mamoswine dosen't really have any outside of Ancient Power (which is to luck based) and Curse (which is rather risky on Mamoswine if you ask me). Tsunbear has access to Swords Dance, Claw Sharpen and Bulk up, coupled with his 110 attack stat and he can be a fairly dangerous sweeper in the rain.

He definitely has flaws, but i think that he can be really useful when paired up with Drizzle Politoed. I really like him. What do you guys think? ^_^

Years
  • Alright. I'm back again, and this time i want to hear everyones opinion on Tsunbear.

Spr_5b_614.png

Looking at him first, i didn't give a sh*t, and with good reason. 50 base speed and pure Ice typing? that's not a good combination. His bulk isn't terrible, but having a weakness to Stealth Rock and the very popular Fire and Fighting type moves isn't very good.

Then i noticed that he gets Swift Swim in the Dream World. That pretty cool. He's the only non-water type to have it (aswell as the only Ice type to have it). His movepool could have been better (No earthquaqe) but it's definitely not bad. He has acces to a new powerful physical ice move, Icicle drop, which has base power of 85. Not bad. He also gets Stone Edge, Night Slash and Brick Break for some nice coverage.

I heard some people saying that he's outclassed by Mamoswine. But there are two things that seperates Tsunbear from him. The first is Swift Swim, which makes Tsunbear much faster that Mamoswine unless he is carying a Choice Scarf. The other is great boosting moves. Mamoswine dosen't really have any outside of Ancient Power (which is to luck based) and Curse (which is rather risky on Mamoswine if you ask me). Tsunbear has access to Swords Dance, Claw Sharpen and Bulk up, coupled with his 110 attack stat and he can be a fairly dangerous sweeper in the rain.

He definitely has flaws, but i think that he can be really useful when paired up with Drizzle Politoed. I really like him. What do you guys think? ^_^
    614Tsunbear_Dream.png

Yes. I love Tsunbear. I've been wanting a polar bear pokemon for a long time. XD

It does have great physical coverage and boosting capability, but you'd need to have Heavy Rain (Best provided by a Drizzle Politoed) up to abuse it along with Swift Swim efficiently. Add a Life Orb for damage (It has great HP to soak up recoil) then get off a Swords Dance and wreck people with powerful physical moves. In terms of power and practicality, I'd give the edge to Mamo still because of more Power/STAB EQ and more bulk.

EDIT: This is Dream World art, btw. :DD

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Live, you always manage to find good in Pokemon with obvious crap potential ._.

Sure it can take a beating, but can't deliver.. wait... well it can deliver, but not well, shallow movepool, mediocre defenses, Low speed that can only be boosted in the rain.

Tsunbeaa will only just manage in NU.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I like Tsunbear not for its competitive battling use, but its design overall is "cool". I've always thought one of the Pokémon GameFreak should add should be a polar bear and to see one like this is what I looked forward to, although it kind of reminds of Ursaring with its position. Other than the stance, it has its own individual design, and I might use it in a future team of mine when I receive either Black or White. :]

Years
  • Alright. I'm back again, and this time i want to hear everyones opinion on Tsunbear.

Spr_5b_614.png

Well, I don't really care for competitive battles n' stuff, so I pretty much only judge Pokemon based on their looks. So in my opinion, Tsunbear isn't so great. I like its design somewhat, but... its head. D: It's oddly shaped, and I reaaally don't like that ice beard it has goin' on. O_o

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I like the fact that Tsunbear is a polar bear, but I really dislike the positioning of his sprite, it's really... awkward looking, in my opinion. Though the Sugimori art will make Tsunbear look a lot better. The pre-evo is cute, too, but... I dislike the icicle nose thing. XD; Oh well!

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • I love Tsunbear (as you can see, it's gonna be a member of my party). It looks like the snotcicle ran down it's chin and froze into a beard. XD

Years
  • I like the fact that Tsunbear is a polar bear, but I really dislike the positioning of his sprite, it's really... awkward looking, in my opinion. Though the Sugimori art will make Tsunbear look a lot better. The pre-evo is cute, too, but... I dislike the icicle nose thing. XD; Oh well!

I agree. ^^ The art I posted was Dream World, and it has a different style than traditional sugumori art. I love the polar bear, it was one I liked from the beginning.

Years
  • They really should stop making new pokemon; most of the new ones are hideous; they're rather mutants then pokemon..
    Though, dont understand me wrong; there's some very good ones too.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    They really should stop making new pokemon; most of the new ones are hideous; they're rather mutants then pokemon..
    Though, dont understand me wrong; there's some very good ones too.

Aww, how else would Pokemon grow? People wouldn't want to play new games. XD

And LiveWire, was that the official Dream World art? :O Tsunbear's front looks a little unusual there. XD; Still waiting for Sugimori (for everything, CoroCoro should be soon?)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I am kind of saddened by the amount of clones in this gen they should have made them more different than they did to make it feel more like a real rebirth rather than the recycling of old pokemon and changing their names and part of their looks and pass them out as new pokemon...

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • ...Y'all do realize Tsunbear's "beard" is made of frozen mucus/snot/etc., right? :D Its pre-evo had a runny nose, and now that it's evolved, the whole thing has grown all icicle-esque. It should learn a move called Snot Tricicle (see what I did thar? ;D) or something, lmfao. Anyways, I like it, but I hate how small his head is, especially in comparison to his other "head" (lol, if you don't get it, you don't wanna get it, trust me). Battle-wise, he's cool, but honestly, I wish his design was much better.

In other news... do not raise Meralba / Monozu unless you really like these things. x__x After level 40 Meralba takes as long as 5000+ EXP points to get to the next level, and after level 50, it's 10,000+ per level, lmfao. That's fuqin' insane, absolutely insane. But, insanity is what I do best, which is why I had my little fire moth larva take on Shaga's Pokemon; she single-handedly swept the entire competition, including Ononononononononononokusu. Yes, she was in her 50s, but her defense is terrible, and Ononononononononokusu's Att is insane, especially after one Dragon Dance lol. :3 Now that she's an Ulgamoth, I expect great things, ufufufufu... *petpets* She will probably be my first level 100 pogey, yeees. :3

Now I'm training Monozu, he's so adorable. Hustlin' Draco Meteorin' llamadragon for the win, ppl. He's so frail, though; even wild Tabunne faint him. :C :C :C But Sazandra is a beauty, and once evolved, nothing will stop my beloved from taking down everrrythinggg. >:3

Also, for some reason, I really like Aianto now. O_o; But I don't have him in my team because flamebuggy and darkdraggy take foreverrr to grow. Imagine Forever typing her name forever, her fingers stuck to the keyboard for all eternity: that is how long it takes to raise an Ulgamoth / Sazandra (and their pre-evos), aka f f f o o o r r r e e e v v v e e e r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r r . . .

'Nyways, 'tis autumn now; soon it'll be Tsunbear season, since apparently during winter, Kumashun are as common as mayflies in the summer.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back