• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your reaction: Gen 7 allows Pokemon to have 5 moves.. Discuss!

Hoenn Master

Deal with it.
Years
  • I'm really interested in hearing your opinions on this.
    I doubt it would happen,, but what would your reaction be if the next gen games had a HUGE overhaul and allowed each 'mon to learn 5 moves instead of 4?
    How would this change the meta game?
    :|

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I think that'd be a pretty interesting change. I'd probably be more or less neutral about it though. Just one extra move slot, not a huge change. I think it would definitely change the meta game, because a lot of Pokemon would benefit from it (e.g. Dual Screens Espeon, RestTalk Giratina, the classic ExtremeSpeed Arceus). Pokemon who are normally only used for utility purposes would also be able to go on the offensive if they needed to.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Aside from what people will probably say about this, whether I'll play competitive or not, If I can't put in a new move to my current sets, I'll just put Protect in that extra new slot. Suddenly, every pokemon can now Scout for moves and still keep their roles intact.

Hmmm the typical Mega Blaziken set of High Jump Kick, Flare Blitz, Protect, and Coverage Move (Stone Edge vs Talon Flame, Thunder Punch vs Gyarados, Poison Jab vs Fairies), now with Swords Dance just to completely enjoy the power.

In casual play, HM Slaves can now be even better HM Slaves! Or better yet, now every pokemon can have a compatible HM Move while still keeping 4 primary moves.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Basically it changes the battle bit more; move coverage, entry hazards/traps, status moves and possibly STAB moves. Furthermore, it gives player more option to add on the 5th slot and deleting for another moves unless teaching, tutored or thru HM/TM becoming less common even level up for final slot for the new moves to take place

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • From a non-competitive perspective, I would totally use that extra slot for an HM, especially for HM slaves. That would totally benefit any Pokemon that wants to learn necessary moves without having to delete them for HMs.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I'm going to agree that I would use it for HM moves in-game. Competitively, it would REALLY shake things up though.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It would be interesting, but I wouldn't like it. I find having four moves is just the right amount, having two or three physical/special hitting moves along with a status move does me nicely.

Years
  • That would probably help more for in-game players, but as others have said it would make competitive a lot different. I don't want to go too much in-depth about what I think could happen, so I think i'll leave it at that.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • It would really open up the possibilities. Moves that are normally meant to be used together- Stockpile, Spit Up, Swallow- for example, and then instead of just the one other, they'd be able to have that whole set and then perhaps another (Harden/Rollout). The versatility would be immense. One STAB move, two for coverage, and two status moves would be very potent. Or two STABs and three coverage. It's endless.

I'd like to see it. The metagame can get pretty stale pretty quickly. This one thing would really be able to shake things up in a big way.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • A lot of things would definitely change, especially competitively. A lot of Pokemon have what is called "four-moveslot syndrome" where they can use a lot of moves but only have room for four; running one move allows them to counter specific threats and they can't counter without the move. I guess if five moveslots were added, the term would become "five-moveslot syndrome" but I feel like we might see some more Greninja-like Pokemon: those who can counter a ton of Pokemon due to the moves they have access to, and now they'll have the ability to counter even more with one set.

Years
  • It would probably be intresting. Kinda agree on using an HM on the 5th slot (for in-game purposes), but the possibilities are endless. Competitively, I see how it changes the game so much. I can probably see a single Pokemon covering almost everything. I'm hopeful for it.

Guest123_x1

I know expanding the allowable moveset won't happen in our lifetime, but I think allowing more moves per Pokémon at a time is a long overdue change. The current limit of four may have made sense back in Generation I when most Pokémon had small learnsets (both level-up and TM/HM) and there were only 165 moves in total, but with the insane amount of moves we have now that have been introduced in each generation since then, not to mention many Pokémon learning a new move every two or three levels, expanding the allowable movepool size would provide needed relief for trainers who must make difficult decisions at times as to whether to replace an existing good move with something completely different, including replacing a move with an HM entry.

KittiOcelotti

"Smell ya later!"
    Years
  • I actually wouldn't like it, because it'll probably affect the "old" battle system and competitive battling will go absolutely out of control. But on the flipside, HM slaves are even more powerful!!!! :D

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Utility-wise, I don't see a reason to not make 5 moveslots. Competitive-wise... are you nuts?

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • I'm not competitive because people either challenge me when I have a terrible team, or they rage quit. So that aspect doesn't bother me. But why would they change it to five, when it's been four so long? But that's be totally cool!

Back