• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You're not supposed to revive threads over a month old?

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • I like the thread title. Hehe.

Well, this is probably one of the most broken rules here at PC. But those old threads still exist, no? My question is, what do you do with old/locked threads? Do you tend to read through them, or just ignore them, since you can't post in it, or something? And if it's locked, the same? Or do you go and see why it got locked, rather then responses from other people (guilty!). Also, do you tend to "save" threads? As in, post in a thread on the verge of going unanswered for a month?

Also, how the hell do people find threads that are YEARS old and post in them? Never understood that

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • My question is, what do you do with old/locked threads?
    I *almost* post in it, and then go "woah there buddy hold your horses" and then remake the thread and/or feel bad that I can't contribute to the conversation.
    Or do you go and see why it got locked, rather then responses from other people (guilty!).
    Yeah, I do that :P I'm nosy and/or desperate to be a mod lol (never gonna be one now am I)
    Also, do you tend to "save" threads? As in, post in a thread on the verge of going unanswered for a month?
    pff if it's interesting. Otherwise I can't be bothered c:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sometimes I have a read on closed revived threads and see whatever was in it before it got closed, for fun.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm super nosy with locked threads, no matter how old, especially when it's locked by someone that's no longer on staff. I love seeing why threads were locked and how other staff members lock threads. Some are more interesting than others of course. And I don't think I ever revived a thread? I can only recall one time, which was back in 08 when I posted in a fan fic thread from like...04 I think? Haha. I also once replied to a post that was 4 or 5 years old when I was new. But hey, it helped me make friends because everyone was like, "That's the funniest thing ever. You'll be great here!"

I don't really go and read many old threads though. Maybe a few, just to see if I posted in it so I can see how I used to post and how nubby I was.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I never go out of my way to find old threads unless I had some sort of stake in them or I'm stalking an old member to see where they used to post. They're always interesting to read though, to see how things were back in the early days of PC.

Someone revived a thread in OVP a couple of days ago and their post was 30 days and 8 minutes after the last one so I allowed it, but I was like "ooooh smooth save dude, smooth save" lmao. As for me, I like to save threads. I do it quite a bit in Other Clubs when I see one aging further than it should. There are a few threads in Culture & Media that I've wanted to revive as well but I kept forgetting and then they died and I was really sad because I really wanted to post in them :(.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I like reading locked threads in other sections then I think "now how would've I done it?" and sometimes take from that to how I moderate in B/W, lmao. THOUGH that is kind of rare so I normally just read out of interest. Is it bad that I also re-read threads I locked to see how I've ~changed~ or whatever? :(

Older threads in B/W I consider remaking, older threads everywhere else I just read to get dirt on people. And yes I am very lazy with responding to threads so I always have 1 or 2 to post in. n_n

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Sometimes I poke through old threads to see if there are any interesting ideas in there. But not often haha. I do look in locked threads when I see them to see... not so much why they've been locked as how bumbling the people in them were. But my favourite thing is to read the mod posts at the end of locked threads. Not sure why tbh. Maybe I like to see if I agree or how the mod has put their locking reason idk.

I do tend to save threads haha. When I go into a forum I end up scrolling down and looking at the older threads to see if there's anything interesting I want people to pick up again. And in OT I bring games back from the edge when they've been forgotten. So yeah.

Years
  • I can't think of the last time I ever stalked really old threads. .-. It's not something I do. If it's something really interesting I'll read it, though. But it has to be really interesting and I have to be in a nostalgic mood to read them.

If a thread is locked here in OVP by Andy, sometimes I'll check it to see what Andy said. Or sometimes I don't.

Years
  • I read old threads out of habit because in other boards I am a member on, posting in old threads is encouraged so that the same thing isn't rehashed time after time. Took me a while to get used to the no posting rule here. :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I usually go and see why it got locked since there is a reason for the lock, which also tells me what kind of threads to not make.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Also, how the hell do people find threads that are YEARS old and post in them? Never understood that

I think that's usually a result of the search function. It's nice because these people actually do what they should in that sense: search before you make a thread. But then they post in the thread not realizing that it's expired and they should've just made a new thread in the first place.

And it's for that exact reason that I personally think the one-month old thread is a bit too harsh but that's just me. Not here to start a debate.

Years
  • I think that's usually a result of the search function. It's nice because these people actually do what they should in that sense: search before you make a thread. But then they post in the thread not realizing that it's expired and they should've just made a new thread in the first place.

Bingo.
    Most of the time people do this, but just don't realise.

I always check them out if I see a recently locked thread, because I like to make sure everything is as it should be in the thread... part of my job! :3​

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I only sometimes read locked or old threads if there was an argument or some discussion going on that's interesting, or idk if I want to read a certain member's comments. I don't think I've ever revived a thread!!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I like to save old threads, but only if I have something genuinely interesting to say in them. Indeed, when I'm looking at forums and threads to post in, I tend to go from the bottom of the page up, in case there's a hidden gem that's been missed and/or buried for whatever reason. Fairly often, it tends to work - the discussion is kickstarted and the thread lasts for another week or so. It's moments like that where I feel that I've done my public duty to PC! :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I like to look at old threads from the old times back in PC. I sometimes find myself looking at threads made in 2004 or 2005 for some reason.

As for reviving threads, if I see any thread past 1 month since last post that I'd like to post in, I just make a new thread with the same subject. It's not rocket science.

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
    Years
  • I usually check out the locked threads because i'm curious on why they were locked. Also i don't want to make the same mistake as the previous topic starter. I'm actually used to not bumping threads because of Sonic Retro, however I think i've messed up once here. :\ (Well maybe I didn't but someone else did...) On Sonic Retro though I catch myself reading really old threads, and threads in their archive forums as well. You can actually still post in them, but no one does of course. :V Bumping a topic if the poster has a detailed post doesn't bother me on my forum, but if it's a post that lacks detail, then it does bother me. xD

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't really do anything with them. If I see a thread title that catches my eye, I click on it and read what people have to say regardless of if it's locked or not, so...

Sometimes I do save threads by replying to them just before they reach that length of time from being inactive, though, but not for the purpose of saving them. If it's a thread in OVP, anyway. Just because it's a thread that I haven't posted in and I'm probably bored, so...

Sooo...

I think I'm done replying to this thread now ok bye!

Back