• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions & Answers / "Where do I post this?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I've done as per your suggestion, but it seems that when placing gif's as profile pictures they don't play at all. It's just a static image with a big white background. Because I can't link, the sprite that I'm talking about is PkParaiso's Bulbasaur XY attack animation sprite. Going to their website and searching Bulbasaur and scrolling down to the XY Sprite portion should bring up the GIFs. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks all. :)

It's too big dimension-wise; when PC resizes to fit the max dimensions you can use as an avatar it removes the animation automatically. You can easily resize it while keeping the animation in GIMP or Photoshop, or you could just tell me the max size your avatars can be (it'll say on the change avatar page, I think mine is different from yours) and I can resize it for you.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
It's too big dimension-wise; when PC resizes to fit the max dimensions you can use as an avatar it removes the animation automatically. You can easily resize it while keeping the animation in GIMP or Photoshop, or you could just tell me the max size your avatars can be (it'll say on the change avatar page, I think mine is different from yours) and I can resize it for you.

Yeah, I had this hunch that it was a tad too big. My avatar size is currently 130x130px or 1.00MB, whichever is smaller. I don't have access to a computer at the moment, all I'm using is an iPad, so if you could assist me in resizing it to an acceptable size, thanks a bunch for your help. ^^

Also, I understand Supporters get larger avatar sizes? Seems to be something for me to work towards!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah, I had this hunch that it was a tad too big. My avatar size is currently 130x130px or 1.00MB, whichever is smaller. I don't have access to a computer at the moment, all I'm using is an iPad, so if you could assist me in resizing it to an acceptable size, thanks a bunch for your help. ^^

Also, I understand Supporters get larger avatar sizes? Seems to be something for me to work towards!

Hopefully this should work!

jWB6F47.gif

I get 180x180 avatar sizes as a Crystal supporter. I think it's the same 1MB size limit but it's really difficult to hit it anyway unless you have long, detailed gifs haha. I think the Platinum supporters might get 200x200?

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
Hopefully this should work!

jWB6F47.gif

I get 180x180 avatar sizes as a Crystal supporter. I think it's the same 1MB size limit but it's really difficult to hit it anyway unless you have long, detailed gifs haha. I think the Platinum supporters might get 200x200?

Works like a charm! Thanks for the help and effort that you put into resizing the image, really appreciate it. Yeah, I probably won't be able to get Crystal anytime soon, but I might shoot for Silver by selling some gift cards that I don't need / want / can't use. I'll get to Crystal one day though! ;)

Years
Okay, I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but why doesn't the Y-Axis list members' anniversaries along with birthdays? I haven't seen any other style that missed this... (At least of the ones i've seen, anyway.) Will this ever be fixed?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
Okay, I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but why doesn't the Y-Axis list members' anniversaries along with birthdays? I haven't seen any other style that missed this... (At least of the ones i've seen, anyway.) Will this ever be fixed?

It most likely just lacks the code for the style. If you want it added, I'd either contact Peitharchia (the style's designer) or an Admin like shenanigans. Both are easily approachable; I've linked both of their profiles in their names so good luck with that!

Years
So, surely I can change my username at some point, right?

You can, but it's only available at certain times. There is a name change thread that opens up at certain times of the year. Sadly you'll have to wait a few months before the next thread opens, unless if you donate for a Crystal Supporter rank who have a special thread as they have shorter waits between changes.

As far as I know, the next opportunity for those below Crystal Supporter rank is in January 2015.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
So, surely I can change my username at some point, right?
Yeah, you can. We recently changed the name changing system to where there's a set 2 week period every 4 months when people are allowed to request username changes. You unfortunately missed the previous one by a couple of weeks, and I don't think that the next one is until January. You'll know when you're allowed to change your name because there will be an unlocked thread stickied in this section about it.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
Years
Not exactly. There is a name change thread that opens up at certain times of the year. Sadly you'll have to wait a few months before the next thread opens, unless if you donate for a Crystal Supporter rank who have shorter waits between changes.

Was considering donating a little bit too the forum, anyway. PC email address would be pretty shnazzy. All I want to do is change 'of Pallet Town' to 'VI'. I guess I can wait the few months. Thanks for your help Hika. :)

Yeah, you can. We recently changed the name changing system to where there's a set 2 week period every 4 months when people are allowed to request username changes. You unfortunately missed the previous one by a couple of weeks, and I don't think that the next one is until January. You'll know when you're allowed to change your name because there will be an unlocked thread stickied in this section about it.

Awesome, January is my birthday month too so it'll be an extra special name change. <3

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Since you're a new member and all, you can do 1 of two things: create a brand new account with your desired name, or donate to Crystal Tier status ($25+).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
Hi, can anyone help me out with creating a GIF avatar? I'm just totally stuck. It keeps saying invalid file or file too large when I try to link to it but its only 5 seconds long. Does anyone know how I can get it to work? Its hosted here if it makes any difference? http://makeagif.com/ql6ZIv

Years
Hi, can anyone help me out with creating a GIF avatar? I'm just totally stuck. It keeps saying invalid file or file too large when I try to link to it but its only 5 seconds long. Does anyone know how I can get it to work? Its hosted here if it makes any difference? http://makeagif.com/ql6ZIv
The reason your gif isn't showing up is because PC doesn't support external hosting of avatars. Also, the avatar itself is well beyond the limits available to you, since your avatar limit is only 130x130px. Any size larger, and PC would resize the image automatically and take away the animation. Unfortunately, the only way for the animation to be left in tact on the gif would be to resize it so that it's within the given limits for you.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
The reason your gif isn't showing up is because PC doesn't support external hosting of avatars. Also, the avatar itself is well beyond the limits available to you, since your avatar limit is only 130x130px. Any size larger, and PC would resize the image automatically and take away the animation. Unfortunately, the only way for the animation to be left in tact on the gif would be to resize it so that it's within the given limits for you.

I...have no idea how to do that lol How do others manage it then because there is no option for uploading one, only for a link? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what external hosting means?

Years
I...have no idea how to do that lol How do others manage it then because there is no option for uploading one, only for a link? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what external hosting means?
Externally hosted means it's not hosted on PC's server, but rather just the link that the image originates from. If you want to use either of these, I resized them so that they would fit.

H1pzwSM.gif

P5141bw.gif

El Héroe Oscuro

Years

Aren't site's like, Imgur, "external hosts" to PC though? Just asking cause I use Imgur all the time for my avatars and it works just fine.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
Yes, those are. However, once you link the avatar to PC, what you see set as your avatar is hosted on PC.

Gotcha. I don't think that's the issue though with GIF avatars. I think it's more, like you said, the fact that it downsizes the GIF to fit your username rank set dimensions and thus breaks the GIF in the process. I don't believe it really has anything to do with the external site hosting (although what the heck do I know haha.)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
Externally hosted means it's not hosted on PC's server, but rather just the link that the image originates from. If you want to use either of these, I resized them so that they would fit.

H1pzwSM.gif

P5141bw.gif

Aw, thank you! I still don't think I quite get the mechanics of it lol but thank you!

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Does anybody know why this is happening? It's only happening in one browser (Opera 21) but I can't find a way to fix it.

I don't want to have to use another browser but if there's not a fix then I guess I will have to

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back