• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♫ Telepathic Melodies ♫ - Psychic Pokemon Club

Would you like to see competitions implemented into the club?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
  • What changes would you make to the Psychic type, with regards to weaknesses and resistances? Why?
    I really wouldnt change anything although i would make fairy types super effective against them and i wouldnt have bug types super effective against them doesn't make much sense spider kills a psychic that can control things with his mind makes sense not.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • What changes would you make to the Psychic type, with regards to weaknesses and resistances? Why?
    Hm, this is a tough question... first and foremost, I'd likely make them immune against their own type--psychic. Psychic-types usually utilize their mind and telepathy power to cause damage, but if they could do the same to keep themselves safe, logically, it would sort of null all effects from strike they hit against each other? I hope I'm making sense!

As for weakness, I'd likely make them super-effective against water-types. I remember reading somewhere that water causes psychic-power to dwindle (I'm not an expert at this, though, so I'm not really sure how true it might be), so if they stick by that, it would indeed be understandable for some people.

That's an interesting point to bring out, and it's actually valid enough. Psychic being SE against Water would be something really unique though, and if it was really implemented there would probably be outrage for GameFreak giving too many weaknesses to the type, because it's really been defensively crippled over the generations when you compare it to the dominating powerhouse it was in Gen 1.

What changes would you make to the Psychic type, with regards to weaknesses and resistances? Why?

I sort of agree about the Psychic-type immunity thing, they would pretty much nullify each other one would think. Aside from that, I wouldn't change much, but for some reason it makes sense that they'd be weak against Fairy-types. They just seem like they could mess with a Psychic-type's abilities and such.

I would actually like to see Fairy and Psychic types both being not very effective against each other. For some reason that I can't fanthom it seems workable enough, because they're essentially the same thing - correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I feel when I compare "Fairy" to "Psychic".

What changes would you make to the Psychic type, with regards to weaknesses and resistances? Why?

Interestingly enough, I think that psychic-type matchups all make sense when applied logically. So despite the brute force of fighting types, psychics would probably be able to predict their moves or hit them from a distance, giving them the obvious upperhand. However other matchups, I'd probably tweak a bit. For example, psychic vs dark. The idea of the mind being consumed by darkness or some other idea could potentially work but is unlikely. In a 1 v 1 situation for example, both of them have different strengths and weaknesses but would probably battle to an equal potential. But yeah honestly, the idea of a mind/telepathy being beaten by darkness is kinda iffy. At worst, they'd probably go toe to toe in battle as opposed to a full stomp.

Not sure if it already does this but I think psychic being uneffective would probably be the better choice compared to a total immunity. The idea makes sense definitely, but I don't think it necessarily means no damage at all. Probably just very little. Even if they protected themselves with their minds, other psychic-types are bound to be on the same power level or better. That's my two cents on the psychic thing anyway. Not half bad of an idea though and one I definitely understand! :D

Hmm, water types beating psychic? Eh it could be possible but I'm not really sure what would make water super effective. I think it'd be hard to remember as well, since you don't think of water as a dwindler to psychic-types but instead, fire. The idea could work however but I'd still need clarification on how water would exactly achieve the means to beat the mind. :p

Psychic vs Dark is an interesting point you bring up there because I'm sure many people including myself have always accepted that Dark>Psychic, which, come to think of it, makes little sense. Part of the reason why I don't question that type matchup is because of the color scheme - Darkness consuming light which makes sense to me. Both being not very effective against each other would work well, IMO. Or maybe even completely immune to each other, because of the reasons stated above.

I really wouldnt change anything although i would make fairy types super effective against them and i wouldnt have bug types super effective against them doesn't make much sense spider kills a psychic that can control things with his mind makes sense not.

I'm actually surprised that GameFreak even made this matchup. It seems to me like a Generation 1 mistake that they never dared to fix, because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to anybody who dosen't bother to find a reason to believe that they matchup would work. It actually looks like a type balancing attempt, since Bug was a pretty underrated type back then. If anyone can shed light on the possible reasoning for this matchup it'll be cool though, I was never able to understand the rationale for this.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I would actually like to see Fairy and Psychic types both being not very effective against each other. For some reason that I can't fanthom it seems workable enough, because they're essentially the same thing - correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I feel when I compare "Fairy" to "Psychic".

I guess I could see that, I don't know, there's some connection there but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe someone has some more insight on that?

Also the Bug weakness has to do with a common fear theory that proves Psychic-type's weaknesses - fear of ghosts, fear of bugs, fear of the dark.

Dedenne1

Years
  • That's an interesting point to bring out, and it's actually valid enough. Psychic being SE against Water would be something really unique though, and if it was really implemented there would probably be outrage for GameFreak giving too many weaknesses to the type, because it's really been defensively crippled over the generations when you compare it to the dominating powerhouse it was in Gen 1.

I would actually like to see Fairy and Psychic types both being not very effective against each other. For some reason that I can't fanthom it seems workable enough, because they're essentially the same thing - correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I feel when I compare "Fairy" to "Psychic".

Psychic vs Dark is an interesting point you bring up there because I'm sure many people including myself have always accepted that Dark>Psychic, which, come to think of it, makes little sense. Part of the reason why I don't question that type matchup is because of the color scheme - Darkness consuming light which makes sense to me. Both being not very effective against each other would work well, IMO. Or maybe even completely immune to each other, because of the reasons stated above.

I'm actually surprised that GameFreak even made this matchup. It seems to me like a Generation 1 mistake that they never dared to fix, because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to anybody who dosen't bother to find a reason to believe that they matchup would work. It actually looks like a type balancing attempt, since Bug was a pretty underrated type back then. If anyone can shed light on the possible reasoning for this matchup it'll be cool though, I was never able to understand the rationale for this.

One the fear theory like Wicked said. Two bug is not that powerful so they made sure that they could have some ups by making them super effective against dark and psychic. The only one that makes the most sense is grass. bugs eat grass. Bugs dont kill telekinetic super powered pokemon lol

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Create an Ability!

Hey guys, this time I've something new. Instead of the usual discussion topics that we've been having recently, I've decided to host our very own Club Competition. This will be a first, as such, I'll try to run this to the best of my ability and will appreciate any feedback that you guys can give me.

-----​

The title itself is pretty self explanatory. Participants will have to create an ability that is related/exclusive/tied to the Psychic type. Any entries that I find that don't have a clear enough relation will be disqualified. Here are some food for thought questions that you might want to consider in the creation of your ability:

• How does it impact the metagame?
    • Would this have a chance to pass off as an actual ability?
    • Will the ability be broad, or will it tend to a certain niche?

The format for your ability will be as such:

Code:
    [PLAIN][b]ABILITY NAME[/b]: [i]DESCRIPTION[/i][/PLAIN]

Please send your completed entry to Musicality via PM. Please send in whatever submission you want to send in by 10th November 2014. You can also earn the following achievements:

-
    129.png
    :Competition First-Timer: Try your hand out at a competition.

-
    130.png
    :Competition Veteran: Participate in five competitions or more.

There will also be prizes given out to the winner of the competition. The winner will win a request for a custom non-shiny psychic Pokemon that I'll breed to the best of my ability, and with a BP item of your choice attached. All Pokemon should be 5IV, unless a 6IV pops out while breeding or unless stated. I'm sorry, I can't breed for specific hidden powers as well as 0 speed or specific IV spreads, it'll usually be 31/x/31/31/31/31, or something along those lines. I will usually be able to breed all egg moves unless they're obscure or transfer egg moves, in which case I would replace it with another move. No legendaries allowed, they can't be bred. Also I can't promise a female for Pokemon that have a 12.5% gender ratio. No illegal Pokemon may be requested. I'd hate to have another person's experience ruined online because of a wondertomb.

Please register by replying to this thread, with the following format. Participants who do not reply below with their application form will be disqualified.

Code:
    Username:

FC:

Pokemon you'd like to have if you win:

--EXAMPLE SET--

Latias | F/M
    Ability: Levitate
    Pokeball: Cherish Ball
    Timid Nature
    - Defog
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Healing Wish

Good luck. :) VM any questions to Musicality, or reply below after you've filled up your application. Both the application must be posted and ability PMed to me by 10th November 2014. The Pokemon detailed in your application will be the one that will be bred and sent to you if you happen to be the winner. I may include second/third place prizes, but those aren't set in stone for now.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Username: SkorXX
    Partner Pokemon: Gallade!
    475.png

Why you want to join the club: Psychic is my favorite type and, the Psychic type is a really mysterious type, and I want to know everything about it, also the social aspect, There's a lot of Trainers in the club! <3

Years
    • Age 22
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Heya Skorxx! You'll fit right in here with us so welcome aboard! :)

Psychic types certainly are on the mysterious side of things. You've gotta wonder where they adapted such a mind or way of power and how they have access to almost all of the elements. Another interesting point is thinking about how exactly a typing like psychic/fighting would work. It's a perfectly reasonable typing, however it's interesting how the type uses both the power of mind and the power of fists or sheer strength. To combine both and be able to use them proficiently would be a huge fate for a human, let alone a pokemon. But yet they somehow manage to pull it off which is on one hand, impressive, while on the other hand it's like 'where did this power come from?' Heaps of mysterious element to think and talk about. :D

Anyway I know the old topic is pretty wrapped up now but I understand the idea of making bug a more appreciated type by letting it counter two of the most powerful, maybe even broken, types of the game. Darkness taking over the mind is also a possible theory but we can't really read into what Gamefreak was thinking when creating the type matchups. However I will say that fairy = / = psychic. Maybe slightly but not really? They're both magical in a sense but there's a distinguishing line between the two, hence why they're seperate types. Though I could be in the wrong on that one as I myself can't really tell the difference but it just seems like there'd be a significant one. ;v;

Dedenne1

Years
  • Create an Ability!

Hey guys, this time I've something new. Instead of the usual discussion topics that we've been having recently, I've decided to host our very own Club Competition. This will be a first, as such, I'll try to run this to the best of my ability and will appreciate any feedback that you guys can give me.

-----​

The title itself is pretty self explanatory. Participants will have to create an ability that is related/exclusive/tied to the Psychic type. Any entries that I find that don't have a clear enough relation will be disqualified. Here are some food for thought questions that you might want to consider in the creation of your ability:

• How does it impact the metagame?
    • Would this have a chance to pass off as an actual ability?
    • Will the ability be broad, or will it tend to a certain niche?

The format for your ability will be as such:

Code:
    [PLAIN][b]ABILITY NAME[/b]: [i]DESCRIPTION[/i][/PLAIN]

Please send your completed entry to Musicality via PM. Please send in whatever submission you want to send in by 10th November 2014. You can also earn the following achievements:

-
    129.png
    :Competition First-Timer: Try your hand out at a competition.

-
    130.png
    :Competition Veteran: Participate in five competitions or more.

There will also be prizes given out to the winner of the competition. The winner will win a request for a custom non-shiny psychic Pokemon that I'll breed to the best of my ability, and with a BP item of your choice attached. All Pokemon should be 5IV, unless a 6IV pops out while breeding or unless stated. I'm sorry, I can't breed for specific hidden powers as well as 0 speed or specific IV spreads, it'll usually be 31/x/31/31/31/31, or something along those lines. I will usually be able to breed all egg moves unless they're obscure or transfer egg moves, in which case I would replace it with another move. No legendaries allowed, they can't be bred. Also I can't promise a female for Pokemon that have a 12.5% gender ratio. No illegal Pokemon may be requested. I'd hate to have another person's experience ruined online because of a wondertomb.

Please register by replying to this thread, with the following format. Participants who do not reply below with their application form will be disqualified.

Code:
    Username:

FC:

--EXAMPLE SET--

Latias | F/M
    Ability: Levitate
    Pokeball: Cherish Ball
    Timid Nature
    - Defog
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Healing Wish

Good luck. :) VM any questions to Musicality, or reply below after you've filled up your application. Both the application must be posted and ability PMed to me by 10th November 2014. The Pokemon detailed in your application will be the one that will be bred and sent to you if you happen to be the winner. I may include second/third place prizes, but those aren't set in stone for now.
    Haha i didnt even notice this hmm a new ability i literally have come up with a lot I'll have to ask some friends for some ideas ;)

Also welcome SkorXX :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Username: J9794 (you can call me J9)
    Partner Pokemon: I was gonna choose Slowbro or Exeggutor, but at the end I chose my favourite psychic, Alakazam.
    Vito_Alakazam.png

Why you want to join the club: I'm actually not so sure how these clubs work (I'm kinda new to forums also), but I have a weakness for psychic pokes (specially for the ones who have psychic as its second type), I think most of my teams always had at least one psychic: Kadabra was my strongest pokemon the first time I beat the E4, in pokemon yellow, I remember using Slowbro, Exeggutor, Metagross, Alakazam, Espeon and Xatu in different teams in Showdown, and in this moment I have 2 psychics that I use to battle on pokemon X (Garvedoir and Exeggutor).
    Oh, and Sabrina is between my top favourite gym leaders, so this thread looks interesting.

Years
    • Age 22
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Partner Pokemon: I was gonna choose Slowbro or Exeggutor, but at the end I chose my favourite psychic, Alakazam.

Why you want to join the club: I'm actually not so sure how these clubs work (I'm kinda new to forums also), but I have a weakness for psychic pokes (specially for the ones who have psychic as its second type), I think most of my teams always had at least one psychic: Kadabra was my strongest pokemon the first time I beat the E4, in pokemon yellow, I remember using Slowbro, Exeggutor, Metagross, Alakazam, Espeon and Xatu in different teams in Showdown, and in this moment I have 2 psychics that I use to battle on pokemon X (Garvedoir and Exeggutor).
    Oh, and Sabrina is between my top favourite gym leaders, so this thread looks interesting.

I'm guessing you couldn't find someone to trade with in R/B/Y for Alakazam? :( I had the same thing in Platinum where I really wanted one but had no wi-fi. I was pleasantly surprised when Kadabra managed to do just as well, taking down the E4 without a problem and then contributing to the final battle. Though I ended up deleting that game. ;v; I think I'd like to own another in the near future as Alakazam, however!

Psychic types have always been a staple for me as well! I've used all of the ones you mentioned at least once from memory. Personally Espeon/Xatu/Slowbro are my favourite out of the bunch although I admit not remembering what Metagross was like. :o Might have to give him a go as well, come ORAS.

We have plenty of Sabrina fans around here so I'm sure you'll fit right in. Welcome to the club, J9! :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    I'm guessing you couldn't find someone to trade with in R/B/Y for Alakazam? :( I had the same thing in Platinum where I really wanted one but had no wi-fi. I was pleasantly surprised when Kadabra managed to do just as well, taking down the E4 without a problem and then contributing to the final battle. Though I ended up deleting that game. ;v; I think I'd like to own another in the near future as Alakazam, however!

Psychic types have always been a staple for me as well! I've used all of the ones you mentioned at least once from memory. Personally Espeon/Xatu/Slowbro are my favourite out of the bunch although I admit not remembering what Metagross was like. :o Might have to give him a go as well, come ORAS.

We have plenty of Sabrina fans around here so I'm sure you'll fit right in. Welcome to the club, J9! :)

Yeah, the only person I knew at that time who also had a gameboy was my cousin, and her family has lived in other country since 2000 so I didn't see her often :P. I still have the Kadabra though, here it is:
    53FSMCd.jpg

By the way, if you have XY, I'd gladly help you evolve your Kadabra.

And about Metagross, it's interesting because it's probably one of the only physical attacking physics I used (apart from a weird exeggutor moveset I tried once), and it's also a pseudo-legendary, so it's really strong in almost every aspect.

And cool, thank you ^^.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Username: SkorXX
    Partner Pokemon: Gallade!
    475.png

Why you want to join the club: Psychic is my favorite type and, the Psychic type is a really mysterious type, and I want to know everything about it, also the social aspect, There's a lot of Trainers in the club! <3

Vito_Alakazam.png

Welcome to you both! I got you guys added in so the list is up to date. Since we're on the subject, Alakazam is ridiculous. It just destroys stuff with its ridiculous Special Attack and I love using it for that reason.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    I took a look at the userbars and tried to make one myself, I ended up uploading 2 similar ones because I couldn't decide between them:

vjC3gO4.png

fumA057.png

Hope you like them

Wicked3DS

Years
  • I took a look at the userbars and tried to make one myself, I ended up uploading 2 similar ones because I couldn't decide between them:

vjC3gO4.png

fumA057.png

Hope you like them

Awesome, I added them to the first post. Now, how about a new topic?

What Psychic-type Pokémon would you own if you could own one?

Personally I would pick Espeon since it would make an ideal pet as it is, not to mention it's an all around good Psychic-type.

Years
    • Age 22
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023

I'd also say Espeon but to provide another answer - Slowpoke! I think it'd just be really cute to have as a pet even if it didn't do much other than sleep, eat and yawn. I mean c'mon, Slowpoke's the cutest most maintenance-free blob around. Who wouldn't want it as a pet? ;v;

That's pretty impressive you've still got your R/B/Y save file, J9! It's also awesome that you've still got your Kadabra after so long. And touche, Metagross is pretty amazing! I think the only others that would come close to its fighting potential would be Gallade and Medicham but even then they don't match up to the pseudo-legendary sort of level that Metagross has attained. It's interesting since I see them all on a similar ability but maybe Metagross just has more of a pseudo-legendary typing/feel? XD

Also cool userbars! If I had to pick, I'd say the first one is better since you can see Hypno more clearly. :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015

Now that I think about it, I must admit that if they were real most psychic types would be frightening: a bird that can see the future, a living ancient doll, and according to their dex descriptions most of them have weird impressive powers, hypno eats dreams, gothillete knows when you are going to die, etc.

I think I'd go with the Abra line despite they could possibly wipe me from existence in a blink.

That's pretty impressive you've still got your R/B/Y save file, J9! It's also awesome that you've still got your Kadabra after so long. And touche, Metagross is pretty amazing! I think the only others that would come close to its fighting potential would be Gallade and Medicham but even then they don't match up to the pseudo-legendary sort of level that Metagross has attained. It's interesting since I see them all on a similar ability but maybe Metagross just has more of a pseudo-legendary typing/feel? XD

Also cool userbars! If I had to pick, I'd say the first one is better since you can see Hypno more clearly. :)

Yeah, it's technically not the first save because I used a friend's pokemon stadium to store all my pokes there and start again with all the pokemon I had before, but still, those are the first pokemon I had in an actual console version (played on some emulators before). I also have pokemon crystal but its battery passed away a couple of years ago, I replaced it but the save file is gone :(.

And I glad you liked them :), I agree, I like the first one a bit more, but I left the other one because somebody might find it creepier somehow and could like that.

Finally,
    Replying to the "Create your ability contest"

Username: J9794
    FC: 4871-5764-8524
    Abra | F/M
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Pokeball: I don't care, anything will be fine
    Modest Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Encore
    - Shadow Ball

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Username: H.A.N.
    Partner Pokemon: Hard to choose. I like almost all the psychic Pokémon. If I have to choose I'd say Slowbro.
    Why you want to join the club: I really like Psychic Pokémon. I've always at least one in my party (except for solo challenges). I saw these clubs here and thought 'Why not?'

What Psychic-type Pokémon would you own if you could own one? I think a Girafarig could come in handy. You could easily ride one.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Username: H.A.N.
    Partner Pokemon: Hard to choose. I like almost all the psychic Pokémon. If I have to choose I'd say Slowbro.
    Why you want to join the club: I really like Psychic Pokémon. I've always at least one in my party (except for solo challenges). I saw these clubs here and thought 'Why not?'

What Psychic-type Pokémon would you own if you could own one? I think a Girafarig could come in handy. You could easily ride one.

Welcome! Ya know, I never got into Girafarig, it's kinda goofy to be honest, but you're right about riding on it, that would be pretty handy.

Also kudos to the Slowpoke answer for a pet, that would be pretty funny.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back