• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] 2022 Gaming Challenge

Years
  • 2022 Gaming Challenge

Welcome to 2022's version of the Video Game Challenge!

Just like last year's challenge, the idea here is to set yourself a number of games to finish before the end of the year. It's a good way to make sure you set time to just chill and do something you enjoy through the year, or to motivate you to work through your gaming backlog if you're anything like me.

A few guidelines to take note of:

- Everything counts. Visual novels, walking simulators, mobile, all those other controversial genres that many on the internet will sneer at: these are all video games, if you wish for them to count towards your list. If you don't, then don't include them. Your list, your rules!
    - A game is finished when one of the following occurs:
    1. You see the end credits.
    2. Where this is not viable, you finish the main mode – for example, with rhythm games, this would be playing through every song, racing games it'd be doing every unlockable cup, etc. If you're ever unsure, ask away!
    3. One of the above happens, and you're satisfied. Want to complete postgame content, trophies/achievements, or get 100% completion? Go for it! This is not required to count the game as finished, but nor is it discouraged.
    4. Extra note: you do not need to see the "true" ending for games with branching pathways and multiple endings, just finishing it once and seeing the credits is enough.
    - For games that have no end like Final Fantasy XIV and Genshin Impact, to name the two that are (still) most relevant: given the time investment involved in these games, significant patches (i.e. ones that provide new story content) released in 2021 count as one new game.
    - Any story-based DLC/expansions released in 2021 can count as a game towards your list, as long as you finish the content they bring with them. If it was released before, it counts as postgame content if you choose to do it.
    - Replays are fine, but the same game cannot be counted twice, unless you are playing different versions of that game - e.g. an original version and then a remake or a different story route in a game with multiple.

It is encouraged that you keep us all regularly updated with your progress! Post back here when you finish a game and give us a review of your experience with it! I'd suggest making a Game Journal thread for the sake of organisation! Credit to Dawn for creating the original version of this challenge. Now let the games begin!

Participants

gimmepie - 16/15 games
    Janp - 38/25 games
    Cherrim - 30/20 games
    Lycanthropy - 1/13
    Professor Plum - 0/6
    Wuzzy - 0/12
    Ivysaur - 4/15
    Machomuu - 1/50
    Autumn94 - 1/7
    InsaneBlathers - 1/20
    tenfrogs - 1/10
    Ecliptic - 5/15

Last edited:
    Years
  • On that note, since it was pretty easy to finish twelve games doing Game-Along as well last year, I'm going to stretch a bit further and try for 15 this time.

Years
  • Last year, I finished 50 games and it was way too many. I compiled a list of games I would love to finish in 2022 and got to 50 games again. Ouch. Out of those games, I picked 12 that I want to finish for a similar challenge on different platform, but I feel like 12 is not enough for me. So I decided to go with 25 games for this year. But I'll most likely finish more.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I will try for 20 this year, which was my initial goal last year that I hit with ease, but this year I will have significantly less free time so we'll see how it goes.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Sure, I'll game along this year!~

Let's do... 13 games. That's one per month plus one extra to make it a challenge!

Then again, considering the number of half-finished games I have, it shouldn't be too difficult.... if I actually manage to finish something for once, haha.

Years
  • well I absolutely did not hit my goal of 6 games, but I at least completed 3, almost 4:
    The Great Ace Attorney
    The Great Ace Attorney 2
    The Missing Heir

I almost beat Minish Cap, but my save corrupted. So.....I'm gonna say 6 games again haha.

Years
  • Gonna participate this year, I'll be aiming to finish 12 games before the new year. I have quite a few unfinished playthroughs but, combined with work and new games coming out I'm going to be pretty distracted.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Going to say 15. I'm this close to finishing the firs for the year (Chicory) so... that'd be a start.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • ...which I just did! 1/15. Very cute game, doggy protagonist was adorable, Lena Raine is an amazing musician and it had a pretty ending. Really happy to have played it.

Years
  • Pokémon Shining Pearl
    Pokémon Legends Arceus
    Zelda BOTW
    Harry Potter Lego Collection
    Luigi's Mansion 3
    Rune Factory 4 Special
    Truberbrook

So 7 games, it's not much in comparison to other's goals but I take a very long time to get through games

Years
  • 20 games

I'm already doing a nuzlocke about every other week to post to youtube, so this is probably what that will average out to when you factor in breaks and other videos.
    I've already done Blazing Emerald so that's 1/20, I'm doing Storm Silver right now. If you want to see a recap of that run it's on my youtube channel.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • I'm going to join! I'm only going to shoot for 10 games, though, because I have a bad habit of losing interest in a game really quickly and reverting back to playing an MMO. 10 games for me this year! Starting with Little Nightmares, I've been meaning to complete it for so long, and I just restarted last night in order to do the game-along!

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • Finished Little Nightmares! Success, great success. I'm going to move on to Castle Crashers (PC) and PLA (Switch) now, woohoo!

1/10

Years
  • January
    So, I started this year with more games that I thought I would. On the other hand, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and Genesis Noir were pretty simple and short that took me 2 days to beat each. I did spent vast majority of the month on Monster Hunter Stories 2. So far, I had fun with all of these games. But if I'll continue with the same pace, I'll end up with 50 games beaten in the year again.

Games beaten this month:
    Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (1998, Action/Platformer, PC, 3.5 h, 8.5)
    Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (2021, JRPG, Switch, 41.1 h, 8.5)
    Dex (2015, RPG, PC, 9.1 h, 8)
    Genesis Noir (2021, Adventure, PC, 4.5 h, 7)

[4/25]

Years
  • January
    So, I started this year with more games that I thought I would. On the other hand, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and Genesis Noir were pretty simple and short that took me 2 days to beat each. I did spent vast majority of the month on Monster Hunter Stories 2. So far, I had fun with all of these games. But if I'll continue with the same pace, I'll end up with 50 games beaten in the year again.

Games beaten this month:
    Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (1998, Action/Platformer, PC, 3.5 h, 8.5)
    Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (2021, JRPG, Switch, 41.1 h, 8.5)
    Dex (2015, RPG, PC, 9.1 h, 8)
    Genesis Noir (2021, Adventure, PC, 4.5 h, 7)

[4/25]

Damn Janp, that's a start.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Alright 1 game down, Pokemon Legends Arceus, after some 40+ hours (unsure how accurate it is).

Super enjoyed it by the way, easily my favorite Pokemon game. I know the pace is currently 1 game = 1 month but uh...we'll see. Endwalker and Elden Ring are gonna be guarantees but we'll just see how the rest goes????

1/50

Years
  • February
    This month was weird. I wasn't really feeling like playing videogames for some reason. Crysis was fun. I had a hard time putting it down, once I finally got around to play it. I know I sound crazy, but the fact that I've played it on Switch made it even better. But then, it took me a while to start with Feudal Alloy. And I really wanted to like that game, but it was so boring. It had a nice concept, but did nothing interesting with it. I've seen everything the game has to offer in first 2 hours and it already got boring. I think if this game wasn't made by czech developer, I wouldn't force myself to finish it. Dead Space was fine. But I also felt a little bit burned out by the time the second half of the game started.

Games beaten this month:
    Crysis Remastered (2021, FPS, Switch, 8.3 h, 9)
    Feudal Alloy (2019, Metroidvania, PC, 6.1 h, 5)
    Dead Space (2008, Survival Horror, PC, 10.2 h, 7.5)

[7/25]

Back