• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4-Year Survival Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    But it I still not as bad as you think. The media simply portrays it as such.

Can you back that up with much, though? So far you've said "well i know a lot of cops and I personally haven't been harassed" which... isn't really much of anything, even assuming you're a minority that's been particularly targeted/affected in general

Years
  • But it I still not as bad as you think. The media simply portrays it as such.

"The media is lying to you!" isn't a valid argument. Your personal feelings mean nothing, really, when the statistical evidence is as strong as it is. I also don't get the obsession with people bending over backwards to try and deny these problems or make them out to be less than they are. When someone can be gunned down for playing with toys in a park, or carrying a BB gun in a store, or selling cigarettes, there's a problem.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • That's incorrect. He was a political organizer in Chicago, that lobbied for equal housing, and directed the Illinois Project Vote in 1992, before he was an Illinois state senator in a majority-Republican state legislature, (That actually passed quite a few bills helping the poor, disadvantaged, etc.) so he's had to politically maneuver his entire 25+ year political career, at multiple levels of government, and arguably, he's had to do that for his entire life, being a black man from Hawaii with an absentee Kenyan exchange student father, white grandparents from Kansas and an Indonesian stepfather. He couldn't have become President in the first place if that wasn't the case.

Obama had difficulty because he was obstructed the entire time. Trump will have trouble because he's unfit and unqualified for the office. Not exactly an equivalence there.

I stand corrected then. xD Although can that experience be comparable to the presidency?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • 1,199 people were killed by police last year. As of July, 800+ people have been killed in 2016.

Looking at the numbers, I'd argue it is exactly as bad one might think.

I had to do a police brutality paper for school (i was severely limited, so its very incomplete in my opinion- much more analysis must be done). I think the number is 857 currently. However, criminals outnumber police 3:1 and 6:1 if you count those on probation and parole (and these are just caught criminals, not potential, non-incarcerated, or unfound criminals), and police are assaulted about 50,000 times a year. Half of those police killings are considered justified by the Department of Justice, and the rest are either unreviewed or unjustified (I dont have a stat on the latter half, but i never found anything stating half of the deaths were unjustified).

Most of the time, the cases of police shootings are very, very tough to decide who was at fault. Its a large grey area, so we can't assume all police killings are unjustified or tyrannical. In addition, law enforcement officers are trained to shoot to kill. They are not trained to shoot in a non-lethal manor. Meaning when an officers feels he or she's life is in danger - or someone else- they shoot to kill because that is how they are trained.

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
  • Grey Wind and Adore, those are actually very low numbers/people. You are also assuming that all of them are just cops being bad. What if most of those are actual people that are going to attack?

You also don't have any understanding of what a cop goes through, ye whom sit on computers all day. There is a very real danger, from people hating you, to actual nut job out there. I am not saying pulling the trigger is the right approach, but that's not what happens in most cases anyways.

Oh, and those are garbage sources btw. Washington post? Lol.

but of course the internet fighters will respond with stats again, not even placing themselves in the cops shoes.

Also, anyone who says that minoritys are killed in greater proportion then whites I neglecting something. Minoritys commit more crimes then whites for their population size.

Anyways, I'm not necessarily saying that all cops are great, but that people eat up the news without thought, and then pretend that that is how it really is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Alien, I guess the boogeyman is out to get you, lol. Back that up with real sources next time.

Grey Wind and Adore, those are actually very low numbers/people. You are also assuming that all of them are just cops being bad. What if most of those are actual people that are going to attack?

You also don't have any understanding of what a cop goes through, ye whom sit on computers all day. There is a very real danger, from people hating you, to actual nut job out there. I am not saying pulling the trigger is the right approach, but that's not what happens in most cases anyways.

Oh, and those are garbage sources btw. Washington post? Lol.

but of course the internet fighters will respond with stats again, not even placing themselves in the cops shoes.

Also, anyone who says that minoritys are killed in greater proportion then whites I neglecting something. Minoritys commit more crimes then whites for their population size.

Anyways, I'm not necessarily saying that all cops are great, but that people eat up the news without thought, and then pretend that that is how it really is.

Minorities kill whites at a much higher rates than whites kill minorities. Whites are also killed at higher rates by police in proportion to crimes committed.

Btw the Washington Post is actually used by law enforcement defenders and stuff. It actually helps their argument more.

Years
  • Minorities kill whites at a much higher rates than whites kill minorities. Whites are also killed at higher rates by police in proportion to crimes committed.

Btw the Washington Post is actually used by law enforcement defenders and stuff. It actually helps their argument more.
    That's what I am saying. Whites are the majority of the populace, and yet minorities kill them much more then they kill themselves.

No it doesn't. As I said, police are people, and people are stupid. lol.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    "The majority has more incidents done to them by minorities than minorities to themselves"

Is a little.... obvious? Just statistically, if there's 10 red marbles and 3 blue marbles in a row, and i throw a blue marble, chances are it's going to hit a red one a lot more than it's going to hit a blue one

Years
  • "The majority has more incidents done to them by minorities than minorities to themselves"

Is a little.... obvious? Just statistically, if there's 10 red marbles and 3 blue marbles in a row, and i throw a blue marble, chances are it's going to hit a red one a lot more than it's going to hit a blue one
    People are marbles. OK.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
    Years
  • You are also assuming that all of them are just cops being bad. What if most of those are actual people that are going to attack?

https://usuncut.com/resistance/standing-rock-protesters-violently-assaulted-police-graphic-photos/

(warning: graphic images of injuries)

"Last night, protesters and protectors were engaged by law enforcement and hostile forces. They began spraying water on people in below freezing temperatures, placing hundreds of people in a life threatening situation, exposing them to a high risk of hypothermia and freeze injuries."

"As my friend attempted to flee, they were struck in the left arm by a concussion grenade causing severe injuries to their left arm. They were evacuated out and are being rushed to have emergency surgery done."

i can't believe this is a real discussion when hundreds of indigenous people are being injured and getting nearly-killed by law enforcement right now lol

and that's not even everything going on

but you know, the media is only exaggerating and its not *that* bad

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Grey Wind and Adore, those are actually very low numbers/people.
    Even if the numbers are "low", I would think that any number of people unjustifiably getting killed is a problem worth trying to fix.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    People are marbles. OK.

I-

I really don't know how to respond to this kind of dismissal of my point, do you not at all understand statistics and/or metaphors or are you just trying to be dismissal of any counterarguments against you?

I'm 999% sure that marbles are nearly universally used in teaching probability in schools, I really can't imagine you not getting what's meant here

Years
  • Even if the numbers are "low", I would think that any number of people unjustifiably getting killed is a problem worth trying to fix.
    The problem is there is no real solution to said problem. In any population, there will always be people with their own ideals and own goals, and own perceptions of life. You'll always have the militant i'd-destroy-anything-because-it's-fun type person who joins organizations like the military or the police force, and it isn't hard to act like you're a regular joe until you get that chance to beat the everliving shit out of someone because that is what gets your blood boiling.

It's the same reason why serial killers can exist, they can simply hide in the background until they are ready to strike, and it's the same thing here.

There are certain jobs that the police must do, and some will take it to the extreme. What of protesters who actually damage property? What of those who literally block highways and obstruct millions of dollars of business, and who refuse to leave? Who has to move them when they simply refuse to move? The police.

As I said, there are of course unjustified uses of force, like a peaceful protest. It also depends on where you are located, and how many aggressive people are in the force at that location.

To anyone saying this happens too much or whatever, what do you plan to do about it? How do you stop such incidents happening when they are excessive? What are your solutions, as I really would like to understand how to plan to get these people out of the force when they can hide?

Years
  • The things coming out of Standing Rock are just horrific. That woman who lost her arm because of a police grenade ought to be enough to wake up the country to what's going on there.

4-Year Survival Plan

Looks like the height of the Iraq war up there in North Dakota. They've got all this military equipment to stop people who are peacefully protesting. And people wonder why there's so much distrust of the police? They're not serving the people, but some corporate entity which is doing some illegal building on land the federal government has told them not to build on.

I get why they want to get the protesters out. That pipeline has until Jan. 1st to be complete or they'll be forced to renegotiate and that would basically kill their chances of making any money from the pipeline. Why they've got the support of anyone who isn't part of the oil industry is beyond me.

I mean, it's not really beyond me. I know that a big part of it is because the people at Standing Rock don't have money or power so no one in big business cares about their interests. And they're, you know, native people, as in not-white, so the white people up there can't be expected to have their hearts moved by their plight since the news doesn't often care about what happens to non-white people.

Honestly, what's going on there is like the Edmund Pettus Bridge of our time.

4-Year Survival Plan

Peaceful protesters attacked by overarmed police with dogs, water cannons, and today lots of other fancy population control toys care of military surplus.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    The problem is there is no real solution to said problem. In any population, there will always be people with their own ideals and own goals, and own perceptions of life. You'll always have the militant i'd-destroy-anything-because-it's-fun type person who joins organizations like the military or the police force, and it isn't hard to act like you're a regular joe until you get that chance to beat the everliving **** out of someone because that is what gets your blood boiling.

It's the same reason why serial killers can exist, they can simply hide in the background until they are ready to strike, and it's the same thing here.

There are certain jobs that the police must do, and some will take it to the extreme. What of protesters who actually damage property? What of those who literally block highways and obstruct millions of dollars of business, and who refuse to leave? Who has to move them when they simply refuse to move? The police.

As I said, there are of course unjustified uses of force, like a peaceful protest. It also depends on where you are located, and how many aggressive people are in the force at that location.

To anyone saying this happens too much or whatever, what do you plan to do about it? How do you stop such incidents happening when they are excessive? What are your solutions, as I really would like to understand how to plan to get these people out of the force when they can hide?

You do understand no other western, developed country has anywhere near the problems yours has with police brutality right? Here's a solution. Basic, basic training. The British police manage to detain dangerous people with little more than a pair of handcuffs and in extreme cases their batons.

Years
  • The things coming out of Standing Rock are just horrific. That woman who lost her arm because of a police grenade ought to be enough to wake up the country to what's going on there.

4-Year Survival Plan

Looks like the height of the Iraq war up there in North Dakota. They've got all this military equipment to stop people who are peacefully protesting. And people wonder why there's so much distrust of the police? They're not serving the people, but some corporate entity which is doing some illegal building on land the federal government has told them not to build on.

I get why they want to get the protesters out. That pipeline has until Jan. 1st to be complete or they'll be forced to renegotiate and that would basically kill their chances of making any money from the pipeline. Why they've got the support of anyone who isn't part of the oil industry is beyond me.

I mean, it's not really beyond me. I know that a big part of it is because the people at Standing Rock don't have money or power so no one in big business cares about their interests. And they're, you know, native people, as in not-white, so the white people up there can't be expected to have their hearts moved by their plight since the news doesn't often care about what happens to non-white people.

Honestly, what's going on there is like the Edmund Pettus Bridge of our time.

4-Year Survival Plan

Peaceful protesters attacked by overarmed police with dogs, water cannons, and today lots of other fancy population control toys care of military surplus.
    I see, that is a pretty grave situation. I personally would create a militia, but most of those people probably don't have weapons. Hmmm.

"since the news doesn't often care about what happens to non-white people." LOL. That is a lie. A big portion of the news does cover minorities, I have no idea what you are saying here. Did you mean that town?

Hey guys! Only 800 people got killed in police brutalization it's not that big of a deal :rolleyes2:
    Well, you guys were pointing out statistics, but people can't really be considered a right statistic, considering we aren't like vegetables or stock markets. 800 statistically out of 300 million isn't a lot, but I do understand that they had their families, lives, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • Well, you guys were pointing out statistics, but people can't really be considered a right statistic, considering we aren't like vegetables or stock markets. 800 statistically out of 300 million isn't a lot, but I do understand that they had their families, lives, etc.

To be really blunt, it shouldn't even be happening at all. 1 is too many. 800 is definitely too many.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • To be really blunt, it shouldn't even be happening at all. 1 is too many. 800 is definitely too many.

Police are assaulted 50,000 times a year, and are outnumbered 3:1 or 6:1 depending on what you count.

Police are trained to shoot to kill. the 800 figure it not evidence of police brutality. Sure, there are isolated cases, but its not really an issue relative to other issues that plague the US.

Reactions: 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back