• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: a good ol' fashioned DCC!

Years
  • Yeah, so I auditioned for the mini-choir at 3:15pm my time today. It was nice seeing some people I normally never see. I think I sang a little too loud. After the audition, I realized I was only doing it because I was BORED! No seriously, I got like severe flashbacks of when I was previously in it. Such bad flashbacks that...traumatizing....bad stuff...GAH!

You know how I switched from the choir nerd to the band nerd right? Then the band went ka-poot via the pandemic right? I looked up the old band director on facebook and GREAT SCOTT I was right, he did want a second kid. According to his facebook, he's having a boy in May 2021. Besides the point, then I scrolled down and it literally said "left *insert my school name here*" like last June. So uh.....that happened.

My life sucks. It's a confusing mess. And i'm EMO again so...huzzah.....

Emo again? Nah once emo always emo. 😂 I'm always going to be the 16 year old with my hair covering my eyes listening to Panic! At the Disco on the inside. I am pretty excited for tomorrow. My keyboard, stand, pedals, and piano books here get tomorrow and I haven't played since I took lessons as a kid. Hoping I pick it up quickly since I dabble with guitar too and can already read sheet music!

Years
  • My keyboard, stand, pedals, and piano books here get tomorrow and I haven't played since I took lessons as a kid. Hoping I pick it up quickly since I dabble with guitar too and can already read sheet music!

that's awesome! the fact that you can read sheet music means you're already miles ahead of me lmao.

20-30 mins of practice a day goes a long way! best of luck!

Years
  • that's awesome! the fact that you can read sheet music means you're already miles ahead of me lmao.

20-30 mins of practice a day goes a long way! best of luck!

Thanks! I took piano for a few years as a child and the sheet music stuck with me for the most part, took about an hour on guitar before I could read sheet music and tablature! Do you have any interest is learning an instrument?

Years
  • Thanks! I took piano for a few years as a child and the sheet music stuck with me for the most part, took about an hour on guitar before I could read sheet music and tablature! Do you have any interest is learning an instrument?

been thinking about taking up piano as well. i used to be an avid guitar/electric guitar/bass player in my band phase in college, but now i'm looking at more mellow options. had really wanted to learn drums back then to round everything out, but my aunt wouldn't buy me one because she thought i'd abandon it after a while. safe to say she was prolly right lmao.

Years
  • been thinking about taking up piano as well. i used to be an avid guitar/electric guitar/bass player in my band phase in college, but now i'm looking at more mellow options. had really wanted to learn drums back then to round everything out, but my aunt wouldn't buy me one because she thought i'd abandon it after a while. safe to say she was prolly right lmao.

Not to mention the space and idk if there is a way to pratice drums quietly? Probably with an electric kit? Once the gf and I are in a house I am going to get a kit but I think the keyboard, guitar, and uke will keep me occupied for now!

Years
  • Not to mention the space and idk if there is a way to pratice drums quietly? Probably with an electric kit? Once the gf and I are in a house I am going to get a kit but I think the keyboard, guitar, and uke will keep me occupied for now!

true on the space, we're already pretty cramped as is lol. yeah electric kits really are the way to go if you don't want neighbors to file noise complaints, but if you're a purist and can't get away from the traditional wood and steel, Remo sells some silent stroke heads and Zildjian has those low volume cymbals with the holes on them, specifically for practicing. i'd take the electric kit tho since it's wayy quieter still. just gotta deal with all the dang wires haha.

ooh you're a uke player too, nice! what're some songs you like to break out with it?

Years
  • true on the space, we're already pretty cramped as is lol. yeah electric kits really are the way to go if you don't want neighbors to file noise complaints, but if you're a purist and can't get away from the traditional wood and steel, Remo sells some silent stroke heads and Zildjian has those low volume cymbals with the holes on them, specifically for practicing. i'd take the electric kit tho since it's wayy quieter still. just gotta deal with all the dang wires haha.

ooh you're a uke player too, nice! what're some songs you like to break out with it?

Pretty basic stuff and then I just free style. First song I learned was "Island in the Sun", by Weezer (took like 20 minutes, super easy). I learned "Hey There Delilah" because you just have to right? I like learning some big classic guitar songs to, War Pigs, Stairway to Heaven, stuff like that. The latest song I was working on is "Chop Suey" by System of a Down.

Years
  • that's some good songs selections. Chop Suey on a uke is such a hilarious concept to me tho, would love to give that a listen!

how about piano? what are some stuff you wanna learn?

Years
  • I was a beginner keyboardist in the school band. But...it's been a while since I picked it up. Idk. I want to re-learn again once we're allowed in the building again. Some teacher who I gotten in touch with says he wants to start a school band and hold guitar lessons or something. The band will be about songs, not methods so I think I have more of a shot here with a keyboard since I know more about the keyboard than I ever would about the guitar or drums or whatever. Honestly I love the keyboard.

Choir rehearsal was weird again and it made me re-think rejoining. Besides that traumatizing event back in the day that involved singing. I said hi to everyone in the chat, and saw my second best friend who I haven't seen since last March. It looked like his shoulders broadened out, and he has glasses now...or maybe it was just a figment of the imagination who knows. Then the choir teacher is like...."bye we're recording" and I was booted out of the chat I was like WTF HAPPENED! So...uh.....I really don't know. *shrug*

I'm not mad though today. Honestly i'm not. My first best friend called me, and I helped her write a professional letter, so...go me...I guess.

Years
  • that's some good songs selections. Chop Suey on a uke is such a hilarious concept to me tho, would love to give that a listen!

how about piano? what are some stuff you wanna learn?

Yeah haha it's fun though! I like picking stuff up on the uke because I don't put a lot of time into guitar so it's easier that way. As for piano I want to learn more classical music. I am a big Beethoven fan and I would love to learn Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp minor.

Years
  • Yeah haha it's fun though! I like picking stuff up on the uke because I don't put a lot of time into guitar so it's easier that way. As for piano I want to learn more classical music. I am a big Beethoven fan and I would love to learn Sonata No. 14 in C-Sharp minor.

ah i see. i like practicing both bcs the different textures are a nice contrast from each other y'know. and ooh is that Moonlight Sonata that you wanna learn? gah i have an irl friend who's really good at piano and she's mastered it near flawlessly. so beautiful to hear. it's reaally worth it. best of luck to ya!

Years
  • ah i see. i like practicing both bcs the different textures are a nice contrast from each other y'know. and ooh is that Moonlight Sonata that you wanna learn? gah i have an irl friend who's really good at piano and she's mastered it near flawlessly. so beautiful to hear. it's reaally worth it. best of luck to ya!

Yeah it's Moonlight, it's my favorite piece and would be very satisfying to learn. Thanks! I started reading today and will start actually practicing tomorrow.

Years
  • Yeah it's Moonlight, it's my favorite piece and would be very satisfying to learn. Thanks! I started reading today and will start actually practicing tomorrow.

what's your approach to practice? and how long of a session do you usually have per day? i personally can't handle more than 40 mins of focused practice before i need to take a break.

Years
  • I need to get on a more strict routine but what I normally do is I'll read a chapter out of whatever book I am studying then try to get in at least an hour of playing. I would like to practice consistently five days a week I just haven't yet found an instrument I enjoy playing enough to put that much time into. Piano will be the one though!

Years
  • I need to get on a more strict routine but what I normally do is I'll read a chapter out of whatever book I am studying then try to get in at least an hour of playing. I would like to practice consistently five days a week I just haven't yet found an instrument I enjoy playing enough to put that much time into. Piano will be the one though!
    i like that confidence about piano. rooting for you! i need to get back to practicing finger picking on guitar tbh. i've been meaning to master Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg for a while now.
    So... more than three weeks in. How y'all liking 2021 so far?
    lemme just say it's a lot easier now to commute compared to last year, but yeah i'm still spending quite a bit more than other years thanks to the need to hail taxis if i'm running late for a thing.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I'd love to learn an instrument at some point in my life because I really enjoy piano or guitar covers of songs I really like and I'd love to do them myself. There have been points where I've wanted to learn violin or bass too. It's all been fleeting thoughts, but I'd been having them so long that I know I wanna learn some kind of instrument...
    a good ol' fashioned DCC!

So... more than three weeks in. How y'all liking 2021 so far?
    It's been surprising how long we've been in the year already, I still remember New Year's Eve. I've just been trying to keep the momentum of feeling really good in December into this year and that's been going pretty well. There's been a lot of procrastination though, there's something I'm working on that I wanted to get done by the end of January, and I'm only about halfway done at this point, whoops.~

Years
  • I'd love to learn an instrument at some point in my life because I really enjoy piano or guitar covers of songs I really like and I'd love to do them myself. There have been points where I've wanted to learn violin or bass too. It's all been fleeting thoughts, but I'd been having them so long that I know I wanna learn some kind of instrument...

order a cheap violin or bass, load up Youtube, then just bash things out for like 10-20 mins a day per week. screw being perfect about the practice, just get something done. it won't take up much time at all out of your day, so it might deter procrastination, and you'll still have a lot more progress than if you didn't do anything at all! that's something i said to myself when i got started with learning bass, and now i can say i'm pretty ok with the instrument hehe.

Back